• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 Review (AV Processor)

Six months since the last FW update, bass management and a few other things still a mess... I decided to not trade in my old XMC-1, just not worth it. Be a great deal if the RMC-1(L)/XMC-2 was close to 100%, but with some significant issues yet to be fixed 2+ years after release, I am cutting my losses.

I don't blame you. What are you going with instead?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I don't blame you. What are you going with instead?
I decided to quit messing around and purchased a JBL SDP-75 (rebadged Trinnov Altitude 32 with some extra Harman-specific tweaks good for my speakers). That was around September, 2019 though it was another few months before I got it set up. It was a dealer return so I got a very good deal on it. I boxed the XMC-1 awaiting Dirac Live, then working FW, before trading it in. At this point I am not sure what I'll do with it but am not throwing more money at it.

I decided to quit messing around and purchased a JBL SDP-75 (rebadged Trinnov Altitude 32 with some extra Harman-specific tweaks good for my speakers). That was around September, 2019 though it was another few months before I got it set up. It was a dealer return so I got a very good deal on it. I boxed the XMC-1 awaiting Dirac Live, then working FW, before trading it in. At this point I am not sure what I'll do with it but am not throwing more money at it.

If I had the funds I'd definitely be considering the JBL, Trinnov, or a Storm processor. Hopefully the JBL works out well for you and you don't have to mess with it as much as with the Emotiva processors.

Jbrunwa

If I had the funds I'd definitely be considering the JBL, Trinnov, or a Storm processor. Hopefully the JBL works out well for you and you don't have to mess with it as much as with the Emotiva processors.
I also decided to move on from the XMC-2 after finding a great deal on an Arcam AV40 and researching the AVS forum. Although the Arcam processors were buggy when first released, unlike Emotiva, Arcam released firmware updates and the platform seems stable with no issues in my HT. In over a month of use the AV40 with DLBC upgrade I am completely satisfied with the sound quality and it has been problem free, so I think my AVR search is over.

I also decided to move on from the XMC-2 after finding a great deal on an Arcam AV40 and researching the AVS forum. Although the Arcam processors were buggy when first released, unlike Emotiva, Arcam released firmware updates and the platform seems stable with no issues in my HT. In over a month of use the AV40 with DLBC upgrade I am completely satisfied with the sound quality and it has been problem free, so I think my AVR search is over.
Glad to hear that is working out for you! I didn't realize that Arcams had the DLBC upgrade already.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats. Appreciate the update as i will be looking for alternatives soon.
Do you know if the AV40 can handle MCH sacd files? Or for that matter, any sacd files.

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

Congrats. Appreciate the update as i will be looking for alternatives soon.
Do you know if the AV40 can handle MCH sacd files? Or for that matter, any sacd files.
I don’t know. I see Roon Ready, AAC/AAC Plus, FLAC, and MQA logos in the user handbook but no mention of SACD. There are knowledgeable folks in the AVS forum that will probably know all the supported file formats.

Yetis

I just pulled the plug on my trade-in. I know that an alternative will cost more, but I cannot have instability and lose the processor for weeks/months and have other connectivity issues. Will wait for a JBL or Anthem processor, ideally a JBL unit.
Well, I tried to find a JBL unit and no one seems to have them or an idea on timing. The ones I could find, required a commitment to dealer installation, which I don't need. So I reverted back to Emotiva and took the bait on a RMC-1L trade in. If it's a disaster, will sell and just move on.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know. I see Roon Ready, AAC/AAC Plus, FLAC, and MQA logos in the user handbook but no mention of SACD. There are knowledgeable folks in the AVS forum that will probably know all the supported file formats.
Thanks for the reply
While i did read many of the posts, i didnt read them all.
I found where someone asked the exact same question but didnot receive a reply

Jbrunwa

Thanks for the reply
While i did read many of the posts, i didnt read them all.
I found where someone asked the exact same question but didnot receive a reply
I just downloaded sample 128 and 256 bit 2-channel DSD files from nativedsd.com to a USB drive, played them from the AV40 web client and they sound great. Here is what shows on the web client. I also posted a query on the AVS forum, as now I’m interested to know. The ESS 9026 PRO DAC spec says it can do DSD256 DoP and native DSD1024. Message me if you would like me to test any specific formats.

Attachments

• 84597871-6146-41E7-9393-0712AE8379B1.png
    84597871-6146-41E7-9393-0712AE8379B1.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 25CC275B-A0E3-4C71-9AB4-1BC05B19F746.png
    25CC275B-A0E3-4C71-9AB4-1BC05B19F746.png
    228 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
When is that coming?
"Soon" according to their response on the Emotiva forum. That has been said for over a year now, and Dirac Live Bass Control has been promised for over two years going on (or more than? lost count) three. If there is a feature you need or want, I would suggest finding a processor that has it now, and not wait for an update that may never come.

Jbrunwa

Has this improved now or is it still a mess?
v2.5 firmware was released 18 Jan 2022 to accommodate production changes due to hardware component availability. The only difference in functionality between v2.3 (16 Jun 2021) and v2.5 was a minor bug fix to bass management when running dual subs. A positive development is that in the past couple months someone from their tech support group began posting on their forum and responding to users, and seems to be actively working the issues. They posted that they were still working to diagnose and fix bugs, and that the focus of the next release will be to improve stability.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom