• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did hear audible distortion from this song in the 0:16-0:17 region with a high volume. It became less severe with an eq correction of -15db at 585hz.

have you tried both speakers and headphones? Present in both or just speakers? The waveforms present this recording are very revealing of resonances and distorrion in the 400-600 Hz range.

sacredcheese

have you tried both speakers and headphones? Present in both or just speakers? The waveforms present this recording are very revealing of resonances and distorrion in the 400-600 Hz range.
I couldn't hear any distortion with my Nuraphone headset. Also, I have tried to replicate this with my friend's Triangle Br03 but did not hear any pronounced distortion.

sacredcheese

I couldn't hear any distortion with my Nuraphone headset. Also, I have tried to replicate this with my friend's Triangle Br03 but did not hear any pronounced distortion.
Also, in the Youtube version, 0:26 is the timestamp to check for distortion. I mostly used the Spotify version where I found distortion at 0:16.

gymnorhamphichthys

I just got my pair of the ub52, unfortunately, I'm also hearing a similar problem.

One of the speakers has a very noticeable buzz when playing female vocal, and overall doesn't sound as clear as the other speaker. It is noticeable at normal listening volume, and it becomes very distracting when playing at louder volume.

The other non-defective speaker sounds great though. I've asked Amazon for a replacement.

sacredcheese

Update on this issue. I have received a new pair of Elac Debut reference DBR62 yesterday and have observed similar distortion at high volume in that song. So, I guess the distortion is just due to my amp trying to output more power. I likely did not push the Br03's as hard due to the size limitation of the room they were set up in.

Robot

So after trying the DBR62s and buying the UB52s, I parted ways with the UB52s a while back for the Uni-Fi Reference UBR62s. The sound is what I was hoping the UB52s would be, though I'll be delaying my future amp upgrade from the budget increase.

For my listening preference, the UBR62s paired with an SVS sealed pro series sub is a beautiful combo. If the paying that kind of money for vinyl wrapped speakers gets to you, I recommend listening in the dark ;)

flywheel

I noticed the resonance between 530-590hz in the Elac UB52 Uni-Fi 2.0 bookshelf speakers
Here is a video of it you can hear it.
My Klipsch RP 160m plays it fine.

Somewhere around 500-600hz, yes it's present in both speakers one has it a little earlier at 550 other around 580hz

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I noticed the resonance between 530-590hz in the Elac UB52 Uni-Fi 2.0 bookshelf speakers

Somewhere around 500-600hz, yes it's present in both speakers one has it a little earlier at 550 other around 580hz
hell that speaker sounds broken

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Warning that this suddenly gets loud.

palmoyas

Is it the crackling/rustling type sound I hear?

flywheel

Yes on the Right it's crackling and rustling type sound, almost as if something is loose
on the Left it is clear resonance.

Here is another updated video

AudioKC

AudioKC

Tend to agree that's the case looking those objective curves in isolation, but how they are percieved subjective with music playing in a real world room is probably not garuanteed to get exactly same conclusion :p..

Here they are in overlaid animation using same DI EQ policy..
View attachment 106414
@BYRTT I meant this EQ :) thanks!

AudioKC

@AudioKC BYRTT is only doing simulations.
You can find find EQ profiles for the Uni-Fi 2.0 by following the first link in my signature.
Thank you Sir!

Your database is very useful contribution.

Last edited:

coomean

For those who are interested, the Uni-Fi 2.0 is on sale for $434 @Amazon.
I posted the link in another thread.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The measurements show that they are shelved from 1.5khz but yet they sound real bright and harsh. Why?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
3 meters @ roughly 80 - 90 average. Even sounded not right at lower volumes. Timber just isnt right. Sounded disconnected. Many others have said the same thing.

Looking at the graphs, you may run into some distortion peaks at those volumes. Note these measurements are taken at 1m:

index.php

In your case, 87 dB at 3m = 96 dB at 1m.

Top Bottom