• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking at the graphs, you may run into some distortion peaks at those volumes. Note these measurements are taken at 1m:

index.php

In your case, 87 dB at 3m = 96 dB at 1m.
Even at lower volumes as I mentioned. It doesnt sound right, it sounds sharp and edgy, but measurements do not show it t all.

Hapo

...well, this thread horrified me, but it didn't make me dislike the Uni-Fi 2.0...I like them very much and indeed feel I might have been spoiled by the sound they present...

...so it is with heavy heart that I packed them back off to Amazon...this had nothing to do with the 600 hz blow out...that did make for a good excuse...

...I had decided to just not worry aboot that as I would likely never drive the speakers hard enough to invoke the demon and really loved the detailed expansive soundstage...the $450 sale price made that easy fo me to decide...

...I though we would be OK with the cloth dome tweeter but the aluminium drivers seem to irritate my ears...they get really twinged in the voice range...

...I am looking to replace them with a set of ELAC DBR62...both amirm and Randy like those...I just hope they don't sound too muddy and flat after my Uni-Fi Experience....

...I am very much tmepted by the new Uni-Fi Reference speaker but understand I would just run into the same issue evn though I am sure I would like that speaker even more than the Uni-Fi 2.0...

Last edited:

Barry_Sound

Wonder what happened to the extra pair for review (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bookshelf-speaker.19216/page-23#post-690938)?

These speakers can be had for 40% off on Amazon.de right now, I might buy a pair just out of curiosity.

I consider myself pretty sensitive to any noise / distortion in high frequencies but I dont listen loud (near field only). From what I read in 30 pages the issue seems sample-related and mostly apparent when forced in sine-wave higher volume scenarios.

Barry_Sound

Tried them briefly, what a letdown. These are small speakers and they sound exactly like small speakers, boxy with weak bass. I didnt even bother finding out about the noise issue. All this makes me wonder about the hype created by certain reviewers. Honestly, if this is enough to become a big name in speaker design I chose the wrong career.

Not even talking about the abysmal plastic veneer and plug-in grills...

LikeABossk

I recently picked these up (and the UC52) to compare to some other bookshelves for a 3.1 setup in our family room with the Emotiva B1+/C1+ (C1+ is with Erin for measurement), KEF Q350/650C, NHT 3C/C (coming soon). This is more of a bang for the buck setup as it's going to get a lot of family use (kiddos/wife).

Before I go through the big comparison, I decided to put these in my small 2-channel setup in my office. I threw a ton of different music at these and they sound pretty darn good. I also played the Eva Cassidy song (especially that :55 mark) at least 10 or so times and could not replicate the issue Amir had even at volumes that my sensitive ears deemed uncomfortable. I will say that the UB52s sounded a bit "bright" to me when compared to the B1+ and Q350, but I think Dirac (in the family room) can help with that. I'll be interested to hear what the NHT's sound like when they get here. My requirement for the system (based on placement constraints) is a quality center speaker. The KEF Q650c is currently "winning" but I'm not sure it's worth its price tag when compared to the UC52 which is less than half the cost right now.

Caveat, I may not have audiophile ears but I'm on this site daily looking at the data and reading reviews so I "think" I know what I'm listening for at this point. Thanks to all for the input!

TheDenix8

Couldn't agree more with Hapo about aluminum mid range drivers irritating ears, happens to me too on these speakers (also happened to me on Klipsch, but to lesser extent). I was really hoping to get some nice concentric speakers that aren't harsh on ears, so I picked soft dome tweeter, turns out aluminum mid-range is even worse.

But, I just discovered another problem with my new Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52. Its somewhere between 1000 Hz and 1200 Hz. I first discovered it when TV emits a squeek sound after pressing a button, but then confirmed it while listening to bells ring, then took the file and restricted frequency until I found the problematic area. I swapped same amplifier wire from left to right speaker to rule out the amp. Picture is just for show, audio was recorded with Zoom H5 recorder. Volume is not very high, but it does need a bit of volume to show. Speakers were bought in November and since then barely used, and practically never at really high volumes as I can't stand very loud volumes. Here is link to video:
I hope I can get warranty return for this

Last edited:

iulianm

Waw, that's bad quality from ELAC.
I have the UB5 for three years now and last year I've decided to upgrade to the 2.0 series and ordered the UF52 (together with UC52). I have returned the UF52 the same day I've got them in.
Not only that I also noticed some resonance but, while the speakers in the package seemed to be new, they came with broken grilles and also chipped in the corners.

I believe the 1st generation had better built quality (e.g. came with magnetic grilles) and the cabinet felt better built.

When I've got the UF52, I also purchased the UC52 (center speaker) to match and was planning to put my UB5 (1st gen) in the rear. I have since returned the UF52 and I'm using UB5 as mains + UC52 as center speaker (not matched but I was hoping that ELAC will improve the quality control over time with Unifi 2.0 series and I'll be able to get a better pair of UF52).

Now just by reading more online what others have experienced with UniFi 2.0, I think I did the wrong thing by keeping the UC52 and hoping ELAC would do better; I should have returned that as well and just spend a bit more and go for some other brand.

Some photos with how I received UF52:
81sVtRru-rL.jpeg91mrW8I3gYL.jpeg916xoV1bmiL.jpeg81m4le08hlL.jpeg

Not sure how much it helps but this is how UC52 measures from my listening position (no EQ or room treatment or anything and measured with UMIK-1).
uc52.png

Last edited:

Numelu

Couldn't agree more with Hapo about aluminum mid range drivers irritating ears, happens to me too on these speakers (also happened to me on Klipsch, but to lesser extent). I was really hoping to get some nice concentric speakers that aren't harsh on ears, so I picked soft dome tweeter, turns out aluminum mid-range is even worse.

But, I just discovered another problem with my new Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52. Its somewhere between 1000 Hz and 1200 Hz. I first discovered it when TV emits a squeek sound after pressing a button, but then confirmed it while listening to bells ring, then took the file and restricted frequency until I found the problematic area. I swapped same amplifier wire from left to right speaker to rule out the amp. Picture is just for show, audio was recorded with Zoom H5 recorder. Volume is not very high, but it does need a bit of volume to show. Speakers were bought in November and since then barely used, and practically never at really high volumes as I can't stand very loud volumes. Here is link to video:
I hope I can get warranty return for this
I had one speaker being exacly like this... Luckily I had two orders of the Uni-fi UB52. One from the swedish Amazon (314$) and another from Amazon Germany (287$). One of the Amazon DE speakers had this problem, so I replaced them with the new speakers from my other order ;)
Which both are working great!

And I cant hear the problem that Amir is having with his borrowed speaker.If you recieve a good pair, then I definetely recommend the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52.

ntsc525

<Sigh...>
Every time a new set of ELAC Uni-Fi speakers is sold, a new post to this thread!

Here I am, thinking I did my due diligence researching speakers and arriving at what I thought was a good choice, the ELAC Uni-Fi UB52. (The interweb reviewers seem to be in agreement these are excellent speakers!)

THEN and only then, did I discover this website, when I was trying to find out if anyone recorded frequency response curves anymore. (Thank you for providing that service!) Now, with this distortion issue (Amirm's sample sounded like the "shhh" of cymbals during "Gooooes" it's like discovering a new pandemic that affects the ELAC Uni-Fi speakers (and has been going on as long as that other pandemic), and I must get mine tested ASAP! (Mine were Amazon "refurbished", basically looking like brand spankin' new, but missing the original box.)

So, I ended up getting the Eva Gardner... I mean Cassidy (I keep doing that!) track and listened to it at full volume. Phew! No anomalies heard other than some digital ones from the FLAC file... (FLAC to my ELAC!)

Then, I went for the sine waves, playing through Bluetooth from an app on my phone. At high volumes I hear a mosquito buzzing around the midrange, even approaching the 500 Hz range, but even into the upper 400s. Both speakers are doing it! Then I switched to my old speakers (Bose Acoustimass 5... Give me a break, I haven't been listening to much music at home until recently!) I can hear the distortion on those too.

Then I realized my amp is a Yamaha R-N303, which I love, except the distortion specs aren't all that great at full volume (none of which I've heard until now anyway). So, I found an R-N602 for a deal (same features, better specs), and will see if I still hear that issue when that amp arrives. (R-N602 is lower in two good places, and one bad: Lower bottom of FR to 20 instead of 40, lower distortion, but also lower wattage.)

BTW, yes, the mids definitely get very warm with 100 watts of sine waves going to them. I'm still hoping I was just hearing clipping from my Yammy (or Bluetooth anomalies).

Anyway, I told you all about that so I could ask this:

Has anyone found a fix for this? Has anyone popped off that decorative ring around the drivers and pulled the midrange out to see what's what? It could be something as simple as a wire rubbing against the mid. (My peak through the connector side shows typical "budget" Chinese construction with nothing special about cable routing, so that could be an issue even in this category. Typical for the my price range.

I haven't seen any updates since around Page 15 or so, when Andrew Jones tested the problem speaker and reported on resonances (I believe he said the cabinet gets lively). Then I heard rumblings about a problem with the midrange screws or mounting.

So, I'm hoping there is an easy fix for those of us who are out of warranty, or maybe ELAC will recall them and fix whatever alignment issues there may be.

I've been successful chasing down rattles and vibrations in cheaper speakers, but don't want to mar the finish trying to remove the plastic bezel that covers the driver mounting screws. It seems to be pretty firmly attached at a few points!

So, if anyone has taken a screwdriver (non-destructively!) to their ELACs, please post here with your findings!

What I don't need: People telling me my speakers are junk, or some other useless information like what I coulda-shoulda-woulda gotten that would be better.

If you've found a fix and gotten yours to work (especially if you're a DIY type), you're the one I want to hear from. Comments from Andrew Jones certainly welcome!

I want to save my ELACS if possible and not have to spend money and research time to get another pair. (What, Debut Reference, and then accept less detail?)

Dan

ntsc525

Update: I hereby name this "pandemic" EuniDis-20 (Long name: ELAC Uni-Fi Distortion Disease 2020), since, like that other pandemic, I set out to test my speakers for the disease, even though there is no (inexpensive) home test kit.

The good news: So far, my speakers have tested negative for EuniDis-20, based on additional testing through a Yamaha RX-E400 at full volume pushing 60 WPC at a similarly uncomfortable volume and observed no "mosquito" distortion anywhere between 400 and 600 Hz. So, back on my main system they go.

I would still like to see if anyone has taken their drivers out (in case this issue pops up later), and how adjustable the mid / tweeter alignment is. I'd also like to see what's inside the mid/tweeter "compartment" in the cabinet.

Pictures, please, from anyone brave enough to do this! (I'm almost brave enough, but stopped for fear of breaking the trim and marring the finish.)

Thanks.

Dan

iulianm

If you've found a fix and gotten yours to work (especially if you're a DIY type), you're the one I want to hear from. Comments from Andrew Jones certainly welcome!
Could you send one to https://gr-research.com/ ? they are doing DIY type of speaker upgrades and maybe he finds the issue and could fix it somehow with his upgraded quality parts.

ntsc525

Since my speakers are not exhibiting the problem, and considering I'm not in a position to have my (to me) precious speakers "at large" for this type of testing, I'm hoping someone else is willing to volunteer their ELACs, especially if they've swapped them out and they're in storage.

If I could spare one of my speakers (or both), I would have sent them to Amirm for testing, to see if they might show better results than the 2020 sample.

Of course, others in this forum have also reported issues with their speakers, and some have reported no issues.

Evidence seems to suggest this issue is batch related, and maybe (hopefully), ELAC has corrected the issue by the time mine were made, and I was just "chasing ghosts" because of my entry level Yamaha's own distortion or issues with Bluetooth clipping my sine waves. In my previous post I indicated I've "cleared" my speakers on a different system with a clean sine wave.

I've also played the "official" Eva Cassidy track through them (even with the Yammy R-N303, a nice but entry level system), and have no issues.

That said, I think it's time to start kicking bass and taking serial numbers:

Hopefully people here will report whether they've seen the problem or not, and post their serial number ranges like I'm doing below.
Maybe you can state when and where you bought them in addition to the first 8 digits of the serial numbers.

My speakers have no issues I've heard yet. I purchased them in May of 2022 from Amazon Warehouse (open / missing box, but like new).

Serial Numbers: 31970E00xxxx (Last 4 digits redacted to preserve their privacy.)

I haven't found any info on how to extract a date code or any other info from the serial numbers, so if anyone knows that, maybe they can pipe in here.

I'd bet there would be some commonality between those with distortion and those without, and maybe we'll find evidence that ELAC fixed whatever problem they had with the mid / tweeter assembly. (I bet it's the mid getting a little chummy with the tweeter and getting overly excited when it reaches it's resonance in that 500 Hz range. I'm sure if it was mechanically rubbing or being interfered with, that would reflect in the impedance chart.)

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but these speakers are still out there and selling even cheaper than when I bought mine two weeks ago! So, we can expect new and future owners to find their way here if they want to learn more about these speakers.

Dan

nenchi

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but these speakers are still out there and selling even cheaper than when I bought mine two weeks ago! So, we can expect new and future owners to find their way here if they want to learn more about these speakers.

Dan
I bought them from amazon.de two weeks ago for 250e a pair, new. Just couldn't pass on that offer. I've tried 580-600hz and haven't found buzzing near tweeter. I haven't tried ear bleeding loud because of neighbours and theese tones are really not comfortable to listen for more than few seconds.

I really like how they sound on desk setup with aiyima a07, although for bigger room more power wouldn't hurt.

YSC

Major Contributor
Since my speakers are not exhibiting the problem, and considering I'm not in a position to have my (to me) precious speakers "at large" for this type of testing, I'm hoping someone else is willing to volunteer their ELACs, especially if they've swapped them out and they're in storage.

If I could spare one of my speakers (or both), I would have sent them to Amirm for testing, to see if they might show better results than the 2020 sample.

Of course, others in this forum have also reported issues with their speakers, and some have reported no issues.

Evidence seems to suggest this issue is batch related, and maybe (hopefully), ELAC has corrected the issue by the time mine were made, and I was just "chasing ghosts" because of my entry level Yamaha's own distortion or issues with Bluetooth clipping my sine waves. In my previous post I indicated I've "cleared" my speakers on a different system with a clean sine wave.

I've also played the "official" Eva Cassidy track through them (even with the Yammy R-N303, a nice but entry level system), and have no issues.

That said, I think it's time to start kicking bass and taking serial numbers:

Hopefully people here will report whether they've seen the problem or not, and post their serial number ranges like I'm doing below.
Maybe you can state when and where you bought them in addition to the first 8 digits of the serial numbers.

My speakers have no issues I've heard yet. I purchased them in May of 2022 from Amazon Warehouse (open / missing box, but like new).

Serial Numbers: 31970E00xxxx (Last 4 digits redacted to preserve their privacy.)

I haven't found any info on how to extract a date code or any other info from the serial numbers, so if anyone knows that, maybe they can pipe in here.

I'd bet there would be some commonality between those with distortion and those without, and maybe we'll find evidence that ELAC fixed whatever problem they had with the mid / tweeter assembly. (I bet it's the mid getting a little chummy with the tweeter and getting overly excited when it reaches it's resonance in that 500 Hz range. I'm sure if it was mechanically rubbing or being interfered with, that would reflect in the impedance chart.)

Dan
Maybe it will be easier to buy a umik 1 and use rew to do in room measurement yourself? It’s cheap and by that you could both see your in room response and if there is any distortion peak. Much better than driving it hard and mentally guessing if it’s broken

ntsc525

Maybe it will be easier to buy a umik 1 and use rew to do in room measurement yourself? It’s cheap and by that you could both see your in room response and if there is any distortion peak. Much better than driving it hard and mentally guessing if it’s broken

What is this Umik 1 and REW of which you speak? (Don't worry I've got another tab open and learning now!)

Today, I received my Yamaha R-N602 I found on eBay, a significant upgrade from their entry level R-N303 Network Receiver. Wow! The bottom opened up on the frequency response, and I discovered these speakers can do more bass! The much lower THD in the 602 opens up everything else as well. As so many reviewers say, "A veil was lifted!" I think this is because of the extensive DSP in the 303 that was marring my experience.

If you can find a deal on the R-N602, I recommend it heartily if you've got the R-N303 and hitting its limits but want to stay in the Yamaha ecosystem. This next step up features an upgraded audio chain plus the same digital connectivity as the 303. The next step up from the 602 is the 803, which has been reviewed on this forum. I think this receiver at 80 WPC pairs quite well with the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5.2.

Since my speakers now pass the sine wave test and the Eva Cassidy test, I will declare them "not infected", and they don't have to wear masks (grilles).

Everyone, rELACs and enjoy your speakers!

Dan

iulianm

REW is a free software for room acoustic measurement and UMIK-1 is a USB calibrated measurement microphone.
You can perform pretty neat measurements for your speakers/room placement and more.
L.E. I think I was replying to a post that got deleted.

I'm happy others haven't noticed any distorsion on UB-52; I still have UC52 center with UB5 as mains and planning to upgrade UB5 with UB52 but I don't want a defective product :)

Azazello13

OK, I've been a lurker here for a while, but I just found this review/thread today and read the whole thing and it was kind of timely, though I wish I'd found it a few weeks sooner.

I bought these speakers a few weeks ago based on many glowing reviews and the fact that they sounded like exactly what I was looking for in the price range. I listened to them for a couple weeks, and I kept thinking I might hear some kind of buzz, but I hadn't really had a chance to listen carefully and kept explaining it away and/or making excuses. Then a few days ago I got this Jimmy Guiffre/Jim Hall jazz trio CD set and oh man did Jim Hall's electric guitar tone set this thing off! Horrible buzz in one of the speakers that even my tin ears couldn't ignore, and I could definitely tell that it was being generated somewhere in or around the tweeter/mid assembly. It was a different noise than Amir's sample and the test tones from Joe N Tell the YT guy (mine was a definite mechanical rattling), but it seemed like maybe it was set off around the same frequency. This was an open box Amazon warehouse unit, so it probably got sent back for this reason, but it definitely seems like either design issues or Elac has some QC issues with these.

In any case this 30 pager was quite the read. It took a lot of twists and turns to end up back where it started, with Amir's ears being right and revealing a likely design flaw.

As much as I really liked most things about these, I won't be buying another pair. I guess I can look at debut reference but somehow those don't seem terribly exciting.

Top Bottom