• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Ncore NC122MP VS NC252MP

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am a scientist myself (molecular biologist) and I always get surprised by the rigorous scientific approach to audio in this forum.

As I cannot provide more accurate measurements that could help with a data-based answer, I see two main schools of thought when addressing the question "subjectively":
1) You're fine if you can't hear clipping.
2) Get as much power as you can.

At the end of the day, if I have to invest in a full set of tools to be able to properly measure amp power delivery, I would rather go for a more powerful amp :).

Assuming that I am happy with the volume level that I get from my system and that I cannot hear any sign of clipping or distortion at my normal listening level, is there any benefit in getting more power?

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help and learn a lot from your answers.
That urge to upgrade is a killer :). Leave your Amp alone... Start researching new speakers

Meantime, a umic measurement microphone isn't expensive and will keep you really busy - so busy that you might put off upgrading. It's also the best way you can improve your sound.

Enjoy

Verig

Doubling the power give you 3dB that's it. lol
That's not relevant here. If you double the power of beefy enough amp then all you get is 3dB.

If you double the power of an insufficient amp you get greatly improved performance at all volume levels - that is, your speakers function like they should.
It's not a volume issue. If you need more volume you buy bigger more efficient speaker, not new amp.

Verig

2x75 watt at 8 Ohm.2x125 watt at 4 Ohm,85db (true? ) sens. speakers at 3 meters and some EQ that is always needed for lows...
If the room is big enough and fully furnitured and depending the amount of correction (if filling dips which in my opinion shouldn't ),high dynamic content as classical,et, I would go for more,not as little as NC250MP but at NC500MP maybe for peace of mind.
I have NC250MP and it's enough but just barely with correction and similarly inefficient speakers. Going NC500 would do it for pretty much any (home) scenario.
You don't need to fill dips to need more power. Just bringing peaks down gives you more room to listen loud and keep it coherent and fun. --> You will listen louder --> escalating power needs.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I have an Audiophonics stereo Hypex Ncore NC122MP amp feeding a pair of ELAC Uni-Fi UF52. I am getting itchy about upgrading to a more powerful Hypex-based amplifier and I wonder whether there would be an obvious advantage on having the extra punch (apart from the possibility to upgrade to harder to driver speakers).

The speakers have a sensitivity of 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m and a nominal impedance of 6 Ohms. According to this article, the minimal impedance is 5.2 Ohms between 200-600 Hz.

Cheers,
Emilio.
I'm a little late to this thread. Anyway, upgrading the amplifier, without other significant modifications, probably is not going to give your speakers extra punch.

I have a pair of Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 speakers, which also suffered from a lack of punch, even with nearly 400W/channel on tap. Even with a subwoofer covering the bottom end they lacked dynamics.

I took out the crossovers and inspected them. The inductors in series with my woofers have a combined DC resistance of 1.6 ohms. That results in a low damping factor, and thus a lack of dynamics in the bass. Could your speakers have the same issue? Perhaps, but I don't know.

I ended up leaving out the passive crossovers and going all active. This made a significant difference and now the speakers now have much tighter bass, e.g., more punchy. Actually, they just are much better overall, night and day difference, at least to my ear.

Not that I recommend modifying your speakers, but if you're curious why I did not just get better speakers, read the last paragraph of the first post here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-fi-reference-ubr62-bookshelf-speakers.51780/

Top Bottom