• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC UBR62 Speaker Review

NightFlight

No you can't. But I also don't put a terrible amount of stock in A/B instant switching. In some cases (like cables), I've found that you have to listen to them and get comfortable - say over a few days or weeks and then swap them out. The difference can be jarring. Your brain will adjust shortly and loose memory of the abrupt change and forget it.

*shrug* some people say that amplifiers don't make a difference. I think those types are f'in deaf.

wric01

Get with the times, single crystal and cryo wires and tellurium / copper connectors all make immediate difference, yes 99.9% of your plated f-ing brass connectors sound like Schitt in comparison. As for all your charts and measurements, none what so ever do any use kid's undamaged ears used to measure / compare (yes i had my kids to confirm what i'm hearing). Respect youthful ears, hell even a simple choice of plugging the speaker cable to tweeter binding post instead of bass driver posts get a immediate difference in clarity. Obviously i can't blame old ppl / can't hear difference with 30+ years of hearing damage that comes with this hobby. I got 40+ years more to enjoy life thus splurge a few coffee cup investment into wires/connectors for 40 years of better enjoyment is a bargain. We are all scientific yet the fools don't even respect the gran daddy bible of International Annealed Copper Standard (IACS) standard established in 1914.

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get with the times, single crystal and cryo wires and tellurium / copper connectors all make immediate difference, yes 99.9% of your plated f-ing brass connectors sound like Schitt in comparison. As for all your charts and measurements, none what so ever do any use kid's undamaged ears used to measure / compare (yes i had my kids to confirm what i'm hearing). Respect youthful ears, hell even a simple choice of plugging the speaker cable to tweeter binding post instead of bass driver posts get a immediate difference in clarity. Obviously i can't blame old ppl / can't hear difference with 30+ years of hearing damage that comes with this hobby. I got 40+ years more to enjoy life thus splurge a few coffee cup investment into wires/connectors for 40 years of better enjoyment is a bargain. We are all scientific yet the fools don't even respect the gran daddy bible of International Annealed Copper Standard (IACS) standard established in 1914.

If you don't invest in some cables from First Run Copper, you're going to waste the 40+ years you have left, believe me! You've simply got to try these:

http://firstruncopper.com/

Have your kids listen to them and tell you what a huge difference these make.

Streamc

What the problem with UBR62? I already have R3. Maybe that? Or problem name is called LS50 Meta?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't invest in some cables from First Run Copper, you're going to waste the 40+ years you have left, believe me! You've simply got to try these:

http://firstruncopper.com/

Have your kids listen to them and tell you what a huge difference these make.
Measurements showing their impact on noise and distortion? Surely you can show the analyzer output from an reference amplifier showing the difference as Amir does in his measurements.

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements showing their impact on noise and distortion? Surely you can show the analyzer output from an reference amplifier showing the difference as Amir does in his measurements.
Are you kidding? Who needs measurements with cables like these? You know, virgin copper is the best for sound quality. This has been reviewed on YouTube, just ask @SimpleTheater .

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you kidding? Who needs measurements with cables like these? You know, virgin copper is the best for sound quality. This has been reviewed on YouTube, just ask @SimpleTheater
Your satire is amazing! I love that video in all the ways it seriously pokes fun at so much with so little! Please sir take a bow for that performance!! Seriously, that is pretty great fun right there...

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your satire is amazing! I love that video in all the ways it seriously pokes fun at so much with so little! Please sir take a bow for that performance!! Seriously, that is pretty great fun right there...
Not my doing, but I’m also a great admirer of the creator and founder of First Run Copper company.

wric01

Can any verify the resistor in middle? Says 10W 0RJ? I'm guessing it's missing the 1 in the space. So it's 10W10RJ. Gonna replace it with mills resistors.

Attachments

• 20220306_145922.jpg
    20220306_145922.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 17

Beave

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It doesn't matter what resistance value you choose. With audiophile quality mills resistors, any value will lead to hyper-realistic soundstages and tonal bliss coming from these speakers.

cavedriver

Just received a pair of these and so far:
-bass lacks the character of the DBR-62, looking again at the measurements the DBR-62 there's about 5 more Hz of extension, but as I've previously talked about, the DBR-62 also has great bass "character", which I suppose could be either cone speed, cone flex (or lack of), or maybe the surface texture of the CF cone? The UBR-62 bass is accurate, noise-free, but lacking in depth and character. I am not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless as I want to use these for library listening so no sub. Maybe with more break-in time the bass character will improve, only about 8 hours so far.
-they do not play super loud happily, unlike the DBR's which seemed to love power. I was worried I might damage the UBR's despite their 140 w continuous rating. This seems to be confirmed in Erin's review with the compression results? I'll name specific pieces of music and levels in a follow-up.
-they have excellent clarity and midrange, voices are very good, they are enjoyable to listen to at low to moderate volumes, much better than the DBR-62 in this area
-agree with others they fall down a little on "ethereal" highs. not getting some of the atmospheric effects I would expect at this price, but more testing needed since placement is sub-optimal right now.
-imaging could be good, still need to test with the speaker placements set properly- I have them too far apart and too close to the listener at the moment. I will say that I don't think the vertical dispersion is that good. The test data is apparently good so not sure what's going on. horizontal is ok, but I had them upside down with the tweeters slightly above ear level initially and they were beaming pretty bad, it was obvious they were too high. With better placement it's still narrow. Edit: KEF's arrived today and positioned as the Elac's initially were the vertical off-axis image is better. The KEF's off-axis is looking very good, maybe won't "place" instruments so well but they sure sound good atm. More testing to do to see.

I'm about to receive three other speakers to test them against - the KEF LS50 meta's, Monitor Silver 100 7G, and Wharfedale EVO 4.2. I expect the KEF's will beat them on the highs and imaging but let me down even more on bass (the old LS50's did). Not sure what will happen with the Monitors and Wharfes. The Monitor bronze's I tested last year had bad port chuffing and then weak bass if you plugged the port, and highs were simply unremarkable, but I've heard good things about the silvers and a brief test of the previous silver towers suggested they imaged very well, giving Pink Floyd's the Wall better depth of soundstage than I expected at that price point.

As an aside, also just briefly listened to the Fyne 502MP's and holy crap are they good (granted at $6k a pair). I suspect I will find some flaws with more listening but tentatively very exciting, and I dread to imagine how badly they probably measure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom