• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12.C Measurements and Review

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
00.png

I'm presenting a review of the Wharfedale Diamond Series Center, specifically the 12.C.
Personally, I find this series to offer excellent finish quality for its price range.
Let's delve into its performance!

Impedance
01.png

02.png

The speakers show stable performance even with increased output signals.(0.1 V to 2.83 V)
I believe this is a common feature of speakers with good fundamentals.
However, there's a slight resonance at around 300Hz.

Frequency Response
03.png

The tonal balance across the full spectrum is fairly decent.
Distortion is noticeable around 3~5kHz.
The lower limit of the bass is approximately 82.3 Hz (-6dB), and there's a gentle decline at -12dB/oct starting from around 120Hz.

Nearfield Measurement
04.png

The measurements looks clean without unnecessary complications, but the high-frequency response of the woofer suggests that the linear distortion on the face of the speaker is due to the woofer's response around the crossover.

Directivity
05.png
06.png

The horizontal directivity seems entirely uncontrolled.
The directivity errors created by the MTM structure's twin woofers can be quite bothersome.
I'll revisit this aspect when discussing The Beam width.

07.png
08.png

The vertical directivity seems unlikely to produce significant errors due to its structure.
However, an uncontrolled bloating is observed in the crossover.

Beam width
09.png

The primary purpose of setting up a center speaker is undoubtedly for home theater configuration.

While this might not be a serious issue if used alone, it becomes a significant drawback for multiple viewers as the allowable horizontal (left/right) tolerance angle is less than +/- 20 degrees over a wide range of 1~3kHz.

10.png

Polar Plot
11.png

This intuitively highlights the issues with horizontal directivity mentioned earlier.
It's evident that there's significantly less radiation horizontally compared to directly in front, especially around 1~2kHz, with a narrow allowable angle.

12.png

THD
13.png
14.png
15.png

The performance is excellent.
While distortion levels below 100Hz are low and consistent, we omit this part due to the characteristics of the EIHD plot, which might unduly favor the test speaker.
The first SPL graph reveals persistently low distortion even in the bass.

16.png
17.png
18.png

At 95dB SPL@1m, the performance continues to impress.

Multitone test
19.png

20.png

The multitone performance is also exceptional.
Everything looks clean and faultless.

80Hz~
21.png

The same goes for measurements from 80Hz and up.
Despite the unit's resonant frequency being around 100Hz, limiting signals below 80Hz seems to reduce distortion.

22.png
23.png

The speaker's defense against distortion is so robust that no anomalies were detected, even at 96dB SPL@1m, where multitone distortion remains at -30dB.

Compression test
24.png

The compression performance is outstanding.
A sharp spike at around 180Hz is identified as a measurement error rather than a characteristic of the speaker. It demonstrates strong performance across the entire spectrum.

Grill test
25.png

The grill introduces significant linear distortion.
It notably enhances frequencies particularly around 5~7kHz by up to 3.5dB.

My personal take is that for a center speaker, its narrow horizontal directivity across a broad spectrum is inevitably a major limitation.

However, considering the price(USD 220.0 in South Korea), it's bewildering how this speaker manages such strong distortion resistance.

Moreover, the finish is also of a very high standard.

I apologize for repeating myself, but it's baffling how such a product can be created at this price, even managing to include a relatively excellent finish.

That's all for my review.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Nice job. I won a pair of 12.1s and wondered about the center.
I have a pair of 12.1s and found this center for a low price of $139.99 for a limited time on music direct, but missed out and it is back to $269.99 now.

At the lower price I figured a no brainer, as I love the sound balance of the 12.1s and imagined it must be relatively similar.
I really do not NEED any more center channels though!!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of 12.1s and found this center for a low price of $139.99 for a limited time on music direct, but missed out and it is back to $269.99 now.

At the lower price I figured a no brainer, as I love the sound balance of the 12.1s and imagined it must be relatively similar.
I really do not NEED any more center channels though!!
I’m with you there. I too saw them cheaper and thought about snagging one but missed out. I’m in the same boat as far as speakers go. Too many speakers, so little time.

Top Bottom