• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Filter: Can't think of anyone needing that. I would prefer a simple setting like now, but always for all ADCs at the same time. Could be added by having an entry ADC1-4 in the list box, so both options are there - single (as now) and all.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Filter: Can't think of anyone needing that. I would prefer a simple setting like now, but always for all ADCs at the same time. Could be added by having an entry ADC1-4 in the list box, so both options are there - single (as now) and all.
The current interface is awkward since changing the filter setting requires two selections (four clicks in all) per ADC, and you can't even see the current state without clicking around. A quick way to set all four to the same value would indeed be nice too.

@IVX, would you consider publishing the protocol used to configure these things? Can't be that hard to reverse engineer, but I'd rather not go to the trouble.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
OK, here's a little Python program that displays and/or sets the filter and ADC_INT_SEL parameters. Use at your own risk. Requires PyUSB. Should work on most systems.

Attachments

• cosmos-tweak.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 132

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2Pro FS DAC +19dBu (with THD pre-compensation) --> E1DA Cosmos ADC @192k, 6.7v. I obviously need a better sine generator :)

1634404426040.png

lucian

OK, here's a little Python program that displays and/or sets the filter and ADC_INT_SEL parameters. Use at your own risk. Requires PyUSB. Should work on most systems.
are those settings within permanent and sustain power cycle?

does this access have influence on the presented usb audio device?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

lucian

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...m=5261.ProductManageOnline.0.0.20764edfQvz51J, but the price of a Grade B is higher than it used to be the price of Grade A couple of weeks ago, not mentioning VAT, Customs charges and delivery fee. :(

I mean - @mansr got it obviously for free !? ;)

unfortunately with tax and transport it goes up here to 250€. unfortunately this is just too much for a couple of measurements. guess need to end up using a notch filter and a not so perfect adc.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
are those settings within permanent and sustain power cycle?

does this access have influence on the presented usb audio device?
The settings are permanent. Using the program does not interfere with a running capture.

Grooved

unfortunately with tax and transport it goes up here to 250€. unfortunately this is just too much for a couple of measurements. guess need to end up using a notch filter and a not so perfect adc.

If you're in the euro zone, Aliexpress price includes tax now (it written bellow the price), it shows 167+9 for shipping so €176 including tax and shipping for the B grade in stock. You should have nothing more to pay than that

Reactions: trl

lucian

If you're in the euro zone, Aliexpress price includes tax now (it written bellow the price), it shows 167+9 for shipping so €176 including tax and shipping for the B grade in stock. You should have nothing more to pay than that
oje you killing me. now i think again :\ ;)

what is the difference between Bundle1 / Bundle2 / Bundle3 ? Only the calibration? What about the other circuit boards shown in the pictures of the ali store page?

edit: found the corresponding threads. B would be enough i guess.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I mean - @mansr got it obviously for free !? ;)

Still cheaper than my Motu M4, so still the best option for a measurement ADC.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2Pro FS DAC +19dBu (with THD pre-compensation) --> E1DA Cosmos ADC @192k, 6.7v. I obviously need a better sine generator
You have it already, if you have the ADI-2 Pro.
Just sum the 2 output channels with an Y XLR cable.
Or, alternatively, use it in phone balanced mode and use one of the phone out channels to feed the ADC.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have it already, if you have the ADI-2 Pro.
Just sum the 2 output channels with an Y XLR cable.
Or, alternatively, use it in phone balanced mode and use one of the phone out channels to feed the ADC.

Ah, but that doesn’t help with THD, it just lowers noise by 3dB relative to signal. Still need a more linear sine generator ;)

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Try it. As you can dial down the volume by 2.5 dB (for the same SNR as before) the DAC chips will show significantly lower THD when driven at that level.

Otherwise I recommend to contact Victor from the diy forum. His unique and not expensive generator boards have -150 dB THD @ 1 kHz...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try it. As you can dial down the volume by 2.5 dB (for the same SNR as before) the DAC chips will show significantly lower THD when driven at that level.

Otherwise I recommend to contact Victor from the diy forum. His unique and not expensive generator boards have -150 dB THD @ 1 kHz...

That’s how I’ve been using it (Cosmos ADC in mono/summed mode with both inputs driven and only left channel measured). I usually hunt to find the sweet spot for DACs at or close to 0dBFS to see if it produces a better THD. ADI-2 Pro FS DAC seems to like to be around -0.5 to -1dBFS. I've been looking at Victor's sine generator for quite a while, so maybe now is the time to get one, now that I have an ADC worthy of it :)

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's built for THD, not THD+N. Also noise is only high when you lower the output signal level by its own pot.. I use it at +19 dBu balanced with passive attenuators at the output.. The skirt around the 1 kHz is high, that's unavoidable in this kind of filter topology, and makes it impossible to see ADC phase noise near the fundamental. But already at k2 it's low enough to see the -150 dB. So no issue for THD measurements.

Top Bottom