• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

HiZ

Let me take a slightly different perspective, but I want to use this cosmos adc for recording such as music production, not for measuring purposes.(Of course, we have separate microphone preamplifiers and audio interfaces.)
Unfortunately, however, Cosmos has only one USB-C terminal, and the power supply also operates with the USB bus power.
I need one of SPDIF, ADAT, AES/EBU output for audio interface and connection, but... Fortunately, I think I2S pins exist when I look at the pcb substrate picture of cosmos adc. Can I use those pins to pick the output format that I want?
For example, may I know what is necessary to output in AES/EBU format from the I2S pins shown in the next picture?
2021-09-25_15-45-27.jpg

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
For example, may I know what is necessary to output in AES/EBU format from the I2S pins shown in the next picture?
You'll need to connect those signals to an AES/EBU transmitter such as Texas Instruments DIT4192 or Cirrus CS8406. Both of these require a master clock at 128 or 256 times Fs. This can be generated from the word clock using a clock multiplier, e.g. the Cirrus CS2300-03. You'll also need power supply, output transformer, and some passive components. Maybe there's a ready-made board available somewhere.

Reactions: HiZ

HiZ

You'll need to connect those signals to an AES/EBU transmitter such as Texas Instruments DIT4192 or Cirrus CS8406. Both of these require a master clock at 128 or 256 times Fs. This can be generated from the word clock using a clock multiplier, e.g. the Cirrus CS2300-03. You'll also need power supply, output transformer, and some passive components. Maybe there's a ready-made board available somewhere.
It's hard... ㅜㅜ
Thank you for the information.
But let me ask you one more question. Cosmos adc has only one USB-C output, so can I convert it to the signal I need even if I connect USB with this DDC? I wonder if it's okay to connect to this DDC because the cosmos ADC operates with USB bus power.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
It's hard... ㅜㅜ
Thank you for the information.
But let me ask you one more question. Cosmos adc has only one USB-C output, so can I convert it to the signal I need even if I connect USB with this DDC? I wonder if it's okay to connect to this DDC because the cosmos ADC operates with USB bus power.

That link redirects to a login page. That said, the device is probably for connection to a host computer, not an ADC.

HiZ

That link redirects to a login page. That said, the device is probably for connection to a host computer, not an ADC.
Oh, you didn't see it because you needed to log in.
O1CN011B1CeE1LHzbBh01JT_!!190011275.jpg
O1CN01R7ljX01LHzbCgjxSr_!!190011275.jpg
O1CN0116Lqvc1LHzbKNmjFA_!!190011275.jpg

That DDC receives USB input and outputs it in a different digital format.
What I'm curious about is whether I can connect the USB-C output of the cosmos adc to DDC USB input and change it to the AES/EBU I want. It is.

HiZ

cosmos ADC (out)-> USB-C (in)-> DDC ->(out) AES/EBU
It was a question about whether this kind of signal flow would be possible.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
cosmos ADC (out)-> USB-C (in)-> DDC ->(out) AES/EBU
It was a question about whether this kind of signal flow would be possible.
No, that won't work. The Cosmos and that converter both need to be connected to a computer.

HiZ

No, that won't work. The Cosmos and that converter both need to be connected to a computer.
I see... Then I think the best way to use I2S pins is for now.
I need to study more.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let me take a slightly different perspective, but I want to use this cosmos adc for recording such as music production, not for measuring purposes.(Of course, we have separate microphone preamplifiers and audio interfaces.)
Unfortunately, however, Cosmos has only one USB-C terminal, and the power supply also operates with the USB bus power.
I need one of SPDIF, ADAT, AES/EBU output for audio interface and connection, but... Fortunately, I think I2S pins exist when I look at the pcb substrate picture of cosmos adc. Can I use those pins to pick the output format that I want?
For example, may I know what is necessary to output in AES/EBU format from the I2S pins shown in the next picture?View attachment 160317

I was thinking of using it for both measurements and audio recording. Will test it with friends on several devices as soon as I have time.
Regarding the audio recording, I thought about another way :
- using the Cosmos ADC to record via it's USB
- using the I2S to clock signal only and let Cosmos ADC be the Master and set the DAC as slave, sync with the clock coming from Cosmos ADC

Maybe @pkane or @IVX can confirm if something like this can work : aliexpress.com/item/4001143681130.html
H9b7ff1667a7644f39539fc8cc9b80fbey.jpg

Reactions: HiZ

HiZ

I was thinking of using it for both measurements and audio recording. Will test it with friends on several devices as soon as I have time.
- using the I2S to clock signal only and let Cosmos ADC be the Master and set the DAC as slave, sync with the clock coming from Cosmos ADC

Maybe @pkane or @IVX can confirm if something like this can work : aliexpress.com/item/4001143681130.html
Well, as far as I know, the cosmos ADC only works as a master for I2S output (not as a slave).
Also, I heard that the I2S terminal of the PCB substrate can be used if you want a digital output in a different format and is output in parallel with the USB-C output of Cosmos adc.

HiZ

All I want to do is record it through cosmos ADC, and I want to extract the digital output with SPDIF, AES/EBU, or ADAT.
In the case of the product you just uploaded, I wonder if the results I want will come out when I connect the pins on the left to the I2S pins on the PCB board of Cosmos adc through jumper cables and soldering.
If you try it, please let me know the result. :)

Grooved

Well, as far as I know, the cosmos ADC only works as a master for I2S output (not as a slave).
Also, I heard that the I2S terminal of the PCB substrate can be used if you want a digital output in a different format and is output in parallel with the USB-C output of Cosmos adc.
Yes, what I said, using it as Master as it can't be the Slave
For you're idea, it may be simpler than mine, but it needs one more device (the one that would get the SPDIF signal and record it).
I thought about both but was not able to decide which one would be the best

Grooved

That board, by the looks of it, needs an external high-rate (128x, 256x) clock input which is apparently not supplied by the Cosmos.
It looks to have Data, Bit clock, LR clock and Master clock, but if you're right, this board would be unable to work if it doesn't have all signals, or at least the Master clock (which is not on the Cosmos ADC like you said)

Last edited:

HiZ

Yes, what I said, using it as Master as it can't be the Slave
For you're idea, it may be simpler than mine, but it needs one more device (the one that would get the SPDIF signal and record it).
I thought about both but was not able to decide which one would be the best
At first, I thought it'd be easy to solve, but it's getting harder and harder. LOL
It would be great if the cosmos adc could only output AES so that it could be connected to the audio interface via digital input...

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
It looks to have Data, Bit clock, LR clock and Master clock, but if you're right, this board would be enable to work if it doesn't have all signals, or at least the Master clock (which is not on the Cosmos ADC like you said)
That board will not work without an MCLK input.

Grooved

That board will not work without an MCLK input.
Thanks @mansr
There's another solution I thought about as I can sync from SPDIF/AES/ADAT or... Word.
The LRCK pin is supposed to output the Word clock (it's the same), but how to get that out ? just linking this LRCK pin and Ground pin to a BNC connector, with maybe something to amplify and regulate the signal ?

What I don't understand is why the above board would absolutely need the MCLK signal.
In the Philips document from 1996, called I2S Bus Specifications, it says :
"As shown in Figure 1, the bus has three lines:
• continuous serial clock (SCK)
• word select (WS)
• serial data (SD)
and the device generating SCK and WS is the master"

SCK = SCLK on the Cosmos ADC (= bit clock)
WS = RLCK on the Cosmos ADC (= word clock)
SD = SDOUT on the Cosmos ADC

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom