• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we need a high quality and expensive power cord?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I had a feeling, but was afraid to ask. Those pictograms on the buttom of the picture should have been a dead giveaway :D

See, among those icons it even has a picture of a power line.

So it must be good for audio electricity clean up, too.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
One solution is to use a standard power cable and wrap your own shielding around the cable. That way it is completely isolated from the mains wiring and plugs, adding a grounding wire that goes to a central earthing point.
Bad idea.
If you must. use a heavy braided shield and connect it to either the nearest AC Safety Ground/Protective Earth terminal or to the component's chassis.

While I don't know what a 'central earthing point' is, it doesn't sound good.

egellings

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what shielding an oversized power cord gets you when all the house wiring leading up to it is not so lovingly accoutered. Placebo effect would dictate any benefit. As for what's in the box, that is fine. Maybe a high power amplifier might benefit by something better if the supplied cord is just an afterthought. I can't see ordering a drop forge when a tack hammer would suffice. If ya need a drop forge, however...

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what shielding an oversized power cord gets you when all the house wiring leading up to it is not so lovingly accoutered.
Well AC cords can but rarely do act as interference antennas (either receiving or transmitting). The closer to the hi-fi component the more likely the interference action.
It might take near Perfect Storm conditions to happen.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well AC cords can but rarely do act as interference antennas (either receiving or transmitting). The closer to the hi-fi component the more likely the interference action.
It might take near Perfect Storm conditions to happen.

Would be nice for you to describe in meaningful detail how this occurs and how it would potentially affect, say, the output of a power amplifier. No vague hand-waving stuff, please. A meaningful description of how this happens.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Would be nice for you to describe in meaningful detail how this occurs and how it would potentially affect, say, the output of a power amplifier. No vague hand-waving stuff, please. A meaningful description of how this happens.
It gets in the current which causes smearing of the micro-details because the notes get confused and the timing gets messed up.

And no... I'm not serious at all. ;)

3125b

Major Contributor
So, if we just imagine that the power cable would make a difference - would that not pale in comparison to the house wiring or the power from the grid?

IMG_20190523_123620.jpgrsz_20180410_154137.jpgrsz_20170815_110213.jpgrsz_20170809_134725.jpg IMG_20180517_132619_HDR.jpg
(Pictures from work)

The concept just doesn't make sense any way you slice it.

Last edited:

the_hamster 2

I bought into the whole cables make a difference camp years ago. At one time I had PS Audio Plus SC power cables in my system. Luckily I was able to sell them for what I paid for them. I replaced them with Pangea Audio AC-14SE power cords at a fraction of the price but still not cheap. I am currently in the process of replacing the Pangea Audio power cords with TrippLite 14AWG cords purchased on Amazon for $8.50 a pop. I plan to sell the Pangea cables on eBay or one of the audiophile forums. This site has allowed me to upgrade my system while making money in the process. Thank-you ASR!

Martin
Second that Tripp-Lite reference...have the self-same cable, as Audiophonics sent on a Hypex 502 amp with Euro power cord, gave me a €10 credit - ordered in the Tripp-Lite, such a deal.

Top Bottom