• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it handle crossover on the PC side though? And redirect bass to LFE channel with a 10db reduction?

I haven't try the 7.1 oprion yet so may be @Kal or @Flak can confirm this. Regardless, if used with D or M, auto setup would have set the XO on the avr side that should still in effect with Audyssey off, or one can set it manually.

GalZohar

I haven't try the 7.1 oprion yet so may be @Kal or @Flak can confirm this. Regardless, if used with D or M, auto setup would have set the XO on the avr side that should still in effect with Audyssey off, or one can set it manually.
Crossover after EQ will provide messed up results.

GalZohar

If you use AVR crossover with PC eq you will apply crossover after EQ, which is wrong.
If you apply crossover in PC before EQ you will need to tqke into account the 10db LFE boost in the AVR.
If Dirac doesn't handle crossover correctly, you will need to apply it with the -10db somewhere before Dirac is applied...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use AVR crossover with PC eq you will apply crossover after EQ, which is wrong.
If you apply crossover in PC before EQ you will need to tqke into account the 10db LFE boost in the AVR.
If Dirac doesn't handle crossover correctly, you will need to apply it with the -10db somewhere before Dirac is applied...

I am saying that i dont know whether the PC standalone's 7.1 version has XC adjustment. I would think it has, just like its AVR version, but I don't want to assume. If in the unlikely event that it hasn't, then if you use the XC set by the AVR will not be much of an issue. I would agree it is sort of a compromise, but hopefully the 7.1 version does have the adjustable XC feature, then my suggestion is moot.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am saying that i dont know whether the PC standalone's 7.1 version has XC adjustment. I would think it has, just like its AVR version, but I don't want to assume. If in the unlikely event that it hasn't, then if you use the XC set by the AVR will not be much of an issue. I would agree it is sort of a compromise, but hopefully the 7.1 version does have the adjustable XC feature, then my suggestion is moot.
It does have a LFE adjustment in the processor of the PC version for both the standalone and the plugin.

wjp007

Thank you very much.
I contacted Dirac and they told me that XC will be available when they add bass management to the PC version which doesn't have it today. So I use my AVR for crossover and have Dirac just manage the combined subwoofer+front speaker as if it were one front speaker.

sharock

I contacted Dirac and they told me that XC will be available when they add bass management to the PC version which doesn't have it today. So I use my AVR for crossover and have Dirac just manage the combined subwoofer+front speaker as if it were one front speaker.
What is the latest on them adding DLBC to the PC version and what does that mean exactly?

Would it for example be supported on the NAD C658 at that point or is there still a hardware element required for bass control?

wjp007

What is the latest on them adding DLBC to the PC version and what does that mean exactly?

Would it for example be supported on the NAD C658 at that point or is there still a hardware element required for bass control?
I was told DLBC would be available at the end of the year. With this, I will be able to manage the XC points within Dirac. Also each subwoofer would be optimized individually. I can't speak to the AVR based solutions. I'm attaching the manual that explains DLBC.

Attachments

• Bass+Control+in+Live.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 85

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
You can also do the crossover in EAPO. You must target your hardware device and not the Dirac processor.

decryption

How are people using Dirac Live on their Macs? I have a USB DAC and want the audio I output to the DAC to be filtered through Dirac Live - is this possible without any extra hardware and done all in software?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How are people using Dirac Live on their Macs? I have a USB DAC and want the audio I output to the DAC to be filtered through Dirac Live - is this possible without any extra hardware and done all in software?
Yes. Just install the software. It creates a virtual audio device that you can just use as normal.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Run across a litttle bit of a brick wall here. I want to create a 2.2 system using the Standalone proccessor for Windows. The instuction set indicates I should choose a custom configuration, go to speakers and add two woofers to Stereo config and point them at the individual outputs I want on my sound card. I did this pointed each speaker at output 1,2,3, and 4 respectively of my OCTO DAC 8 Pro, set Qobuz to play to the Dirac Live processor, AND, nothing got passed to the standalone processor. When I switched the config from "Custom" to "Stereo" the two channels showed up immediately on the volume meters and played all the way to the speakers. Problem is when I start the measurement tool, that "Stereo" config only shows the two L-R channels but not the subs, even though I've specified two additional woofers in the custom config and just labelled it as "Stereo" on the processor main page. OTOH, when I secifiy the config label as custom, the measureing tool has no problem picking up two mains and two woofers, but nothing is passed from the Media player to the DL processor. So stymied either way here.

I just bought a second sub and was kind of hoping to create a 2.2 for the stereo use case with DLBC when it becomes available. Anyone else having this issue?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Run across a litttle bit of a brick wall here. I want to create a 2.2 system using the Standalone proccessor for Windows. The instuction set indicates I should choose a custom configuration, go to speakers and add two woofers to Stereo config and point them at the individual outputs I want on my sound card. I did this pointed each speaker at output 1,2,3, and 4 respectively of my OCTO DAC 8 Pro, set Qobuz to play to the Dirac Live processor, AND, nothing got passed to the standalone processor. When I switched the config from "Custom" to "Stereo" the two channels showed up immediately on the volume meters and played all the way to the speakers. Problem is when I start the measurement tool, that "Stereo" config only shows the two L-R channels but not the subs, even though I've specified two additional woofers in the custom config and just labelled it as "Stereo" on the processor main page. OTOH, when I secifiy the config label as custom, the measureing tool has no problem picking up two mains and two woofers, but nothing is passed from the Media player to the DL processor. So stymied either way here.

I just bought a second sub and was kind of hoping to create a 2.2 for the stereo use case with DLBC when it becomes available. Anyone else having this issue?
I don´t understand your problem, but what you actually mean is you want to create a 2.0 system with two subwoofers. "2.0" means two full range channels of content (= stereo) regardless of how many speakers you are using.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don´t understand your problem, but what you actually mean is you want to create a 2.0 system with two subwoofers. "2.0" means two full range channels of content (= stereo) regardless of how many speakers you are using.
Yes. One needs to implement bass management somewhere in the system.

kolestonin

I have a bit of confusion and will need your help to fully understand program compatibility and usage.
I do not want to add a piece of hardware in my chain, so I will need the Studio(more expensive) version of the program.
Is this correct?
I would also like to do everything within my windows 10 listening pc(source).
Install the program to this pc, connect the microphone to this pc, take the measurements and apply the optimizations to this pc. Without using a laptop, phone, tablet, whatever.
Is this possible?
Do I also have the option to take the measurements from a laptop and then apply the optimizations to my main listening pc? If yes, will I need to install the program to both computers(laptop+main pc)? Is this possible with only one license?

Sorry for the extreme basic/noob questions but most tutorials take them as granted and the basic usage scenario, compatibility, advantages or limitations of the software version are not clear to me.

Top Bottom