• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

FANCI

I honestly don't understand why they don't release bass control on the studio version yet. Technically there are certainly no reasons, I mean, it's already developed. Perhaps commercially... but I expect that in this case it is not to overlap with some other product they have in development.
But I'm afraid it's more likely that they are simply more busy on something else (more profitable).

However, the new target curve it is really pleasing to the ear, therefore happy to benefit from the fruit of their studies.
I agree 100%, I ask if it was possible a beta version to try while waiting for the final version, it would be really a great thing

Davide

I agree 100%, I ask if it was possible a beta version to try while waiting for the final version, it would be really a great thing
I asked the same thing but never got an answer. Strangely, because in other cases they have always been very proactive and available.

FANCI

I asked the same thing but never got an answer. Strangely, because in other cases they have always been very proactive and available.
I think it is a sensitive commercial issue because they probably don't want to have problems with their Emotiva, arcam, nad, etc. customers who have the dirac bass control software already integrated

Davide

I think it is a sensitive commercial issue because they probably don't want to have problems with their Emotiva, arcam, nad, etc. customers who have the dirac bass control software already integrated
I think more that the potential beneficiaries of bass control are relatively few production studios.
At home it is difficult that someone has a multichannel DAC on which the BC can be used and that would spend more money on a complementary license.
So I think it is not in their priorities at the moment.
I hope to be proved wrong soon though.

Last edited:

gnarly

Major Contributor
As best i understand, the Dirac Live PC/studio license is for one owner for use on one PC. Correct?
Can the license be transferred from one computer to another computer? (by same original owner)
Thx

Davide

As best i understand, the Dirac Live PC/studio license is for one owner for use on one PC. Correct?
Can the license be transferred from one computer to another computer? (by same original owner)
Thx
The Dirac Live system works by logging in with your credentials and verifying the license associated with the account (online licensing). There is no problem using it on different PCs at different times (I use my license on at least 2 PCs currently, one at a time).
The license is also transferable between users in case of resale (verified with Dirac customer service). If you are interested I am selling my Studio / Stereo Version. ;)

gnarly

Major Contributor
The Dirac Live system works by logging in with your credentials and verifying the license associated with the account (online licensing). There is no problem using it on different PCs at different times (I use my license on at least 2 PCs currently, one at a time).
The license is also transferable between users in case of resale (verified with Dirac customer service). If you are interested I am selling my Studio / Stereo Version. ;)
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear how the license works and there is no problem using it on different PCs at different times.

I'm in the stage of considering Dirac vs Acourate vs Audiolense.
Dirac would be for its relative ease compared to the others.

However, that said, the more i dig into all these room correction products, the more I'm wondering why not just DIY them....???
In the end, it seems they all have to be just fitting corrections to a measurement or an average of measurement, to hit a specified target curve.

Davide

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear how the license works and there is no problem using it on different PCs at different times.

I'm in the stage of considering Dirac vs Acourate vs Audiolense.
Dirac would be for its relative ease compared to the others.

However, that said, the more i dig into all these room correction products, the more I'm wondering why not just DIY them....???
In the end, it seems they all have to be just fitting corrections to a measurement or an average of measurement, to hit a specified target curve.
I have tried different manual methods for room correction (Rephase, Rew, etc) and none come remotely close to the relationship between result and time spent (incl studying) compared to Dirac (I don't know the others but I know they are a little more cumbersome).
But you can try ... there are free demos of all those software (among other things it would be useful for you to decide which software you prefer).

Last edited:

gnarly

Major Contributor
I have tried different manual methods for room correction (Rephase, Rew, etc) and none come remotely close to the relationship between result and time spent (incl studying) compared to Dirac (I don't know the others but I know they are a little more cumbersome).
But you can try ... there are free demos of all those software (among other things it would be useful for you to decide which software you prefer).
Yeah, I may try and fail too.

I've never done room correction before, but I've made many multi-way DIY speakers using FIR processing on each driver.
And have become comfortable with minimum, linear, maximum, and mixed phase, etc.
Also feel comfortable with what to try to correct, and what not to..

Since i have a good auto-EQ/phase FIR generator that allows user defined targets (FirDesigner...Eclipse Audio),
I'm thinking, heck...why not give room correction a DIY try. I'll build separate filters in processing that becomes part of the signal source, before going to my speaker processor.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I may try and fail too.

I've never done room correction before, but I've made many multi-way DIY speakers using FIR processing on each driver.
And have become comfortable with minimum, linear, maximum, and mixed phase, etc.
Also feel comfortable with what to try to correct, and what not to..

Since i have a good auto-EQ/phase FIR generator that allows user defined targets (FirDesigner...Eclipse Audio),
I'm thinking, heck...why not give room correction a DIY try. I'll build separate filters in processing that becomes part of the signal source, before going to my speaker processor.

That’s a VERY strange situation tbh.

How did you know how to design an FIR filter and design crossovers in general but never explored room correction before.

Genuinely interested! Very unusual ‘order’ to learn things in this hobby.

gnarly

Major Contributor
That’s a VERY strange situation tbh.

How did you know how to design an FIR filter and design crossovers in general but never explored room correction before.

Genuinely interested! Very unusual ‘order’ to learn things in this hobby.
Thanks for your interest !

Long story short...well, kinda short i hope...

after decades of being into electrostats and acoustical treatments of normal sized rooms, I built a large audio room (about 13 x 8 x 4m) that doubled as a playroom for my kids.
I built the room's dimensions to a golden ratio, and worked hard to dial in acoustic treatments. Wonderful sounding room, truly

The room needed speakers stronger than any of my stats, so I bought some high quality PA speakers from Meyersound. I was amazed at how good they sounded, while providing realistic SPL and bass extension. Loved them.
Then one day i took them outside for a party, and that event changed my audio life.
Never had heard such clarity, such purity, ........and quickly concluded the very best of rooms.......are still gonna suck compared to outdoors....

Built some Labhorn subs designed by Tom Danley, to give the extra bass needed to match up outdoors with the Meyers.
Then I needed more mains SPL lol.
Saw a great PA DIY design by peter Morris on Soundforums, that could challenge the Meyers SQ, and run louder (which obviously helps outdoors).
The designer gave xover points, but said we should work out driver sections EQs per our own builds.
Somehow I stumbled onto miniDSP and FIR...and ended up with a bank of four OpenDRCs..

After those super positive experiences, i got the DIY design and build bug....been busy ever since, along with continually upgrading my processing platforms and FIR capability.
All my work has been to make the best sound I can make....outdoors! Because for me, it's so damn much better than indoors !!!

Hope that explains what seems like an unusual path.

Oh, and must say, what works great outdoors....sure works great indoors too (just not quite as well lol) :)

Davide

Still waiting on DLBC for PCs and workstations. Anyone able to update on the status of that product?
No news. In these days I received their questionnaire where among other things they ask which improvements and features are desired: I put the bass control as the first point.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s currently in public beta testing. You just have to ask them for access on their support board i think.
More likely the never ending beta testing…how many engineers for maintaining phase and linearity for +2 subs are needed ? Ask Dirac haha

Music1969

Major Contributor
So what is currently in beta testing?

If I have 6-channel DAC with 4 subwoofers and pair of passive speakers, will this current beta of DL Bass Control support this to the fullest extent ?

Davide

It’s currently in public beta testing. You just have to ask them for access on their support board i think.
Me too. Never got response.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So what is currently in beta testing?

If I have 6-channel DAC with 4 subwoofers and pair of passive speakers, will this current beta of DL Bass Control support this to the fullest extent ?
In theory, yes, but I am not sure you can get it now. I am using DLBC with 3 subs and 5 passive speakers but Dirac had to send me a custom json file for 5.3 configuration. It can probably by modified for 2.4 channels.

Top Bottom