• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

TimoJ

What is needed for the PC version of Dirac to support 10 channel (7.1.2) setup via HDMI? Is there some virtual audio device driver that could be shown as a 10 channel device to Dirac and then output its signal via some other plugin as Atmos signal via HDMI to AVP/AVR?

I assume that using just the Windows shop's Dolby Atmos add-on isn't enought, doesn't it need Atmos encoded stream and only 8 output channels are shown to Dirac? Or does Dirac detect the add-on and can already send Atmos signal i.e. detect and calibrate all 10 channels ?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume that using just the Windows shop's Dolby Atmos add-on isn't enought, doesn't it need Atmos encoded stream and only 8 output channels are shown to Dirac? Or does Dirac detect the add-on and can already send Atmos signal i.e. detect and calibrate all 10 channels ?

I don't know the answer to your first Q, although I'd desperately like to. Re: Atmos, it's a bit of a mystery frankly. Atmos for HT, the feature you're describing, simply "enables" bitstreaming to an outboard Atmos decoder. I use "s because I can bitstream Atmos via MKV just fine without it, so I have no idea what it really does.

I would love to have more than 8 channels Dirac, plus DLBC, in my HTPC but it just isn't there for whatever reason. In addition to the Atmos issue, I'm also diehard Auro3D which only hit v1.0 on Win10 right before bankruptcy was announced so who knows ...

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
What is needed for the PC version of Dirac to support 10 channel (7.1.2) setup via HDMI? Is there some virtual audio device driver that could be shown as a 10 channel device to Dirac and then output its signal via some other plugin as Atmos signal via HDMI to AVP/AVR?

Dirac Live, when using its virtual audio card, is limited to eight channels because of a Windows limitation but in case one uses the plugin/processor with a media player, a DAW, etc. then higher channel counts are available:
2.0, 2.1, 3,1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.6, Quadraphonic, Pentagonal, Hexagonal, Octagonal, Ambisonic
That being said, no Atmos decoding is applied by Dirac.

TimoJ

Dirac Live, when using its virtual audio card, is limited to eight channels because of a Windows limitation but in case one uses the plugin/processor with a media player, a DAW, etc. then higher channel counts are available:
2.0, 2.1, 3,1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.6, Quadraphonic, Pentagonal, Hexagonal, Octagonal, Ambisonic
But how do you output 7.1.4 to AVR/AVP via HDMI?
VST prosessing chain and Dirac plugin there. But is there an Atmos plugin that would enable extra channels in the plugin processing chain and this Atmos stream would output via Windows Atmos HT addon to AVP/AVR? Or does this require some expensive Dolby software etc.? I'm not trying to make movie soundtracks, just simple audio transfer...

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
But how do you output 7.1.4 to AVR/AVP via HDMI?
VST prosessing chain and Dirac plugin there. But is there an Atmos plugin that would enable extra channels in the plugin processing chain and this Atmos stream would output via Windows Atmos HT addon to AVP/AVR? Or does this require some expensive Dolby software etc.? I'm not trying to make movie soundtracks, just simple audio transfer...
My understanding is that no Atmos software only Codec is available for consumers and I expect that none will be licensed by DolbyLabs in the future.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My understanding is that no Atmos software only Codec is available for consumers and I expect that none will be licensed by DolbyLabs in the future.
Dolby Access on PC allows you to take it externally, but only to an AVR/AVP, as if it were a streamer. I haven´t tried the headphone part as it is a paid feature.

The PC configuration part is quite, quite clumsy testing height and back surround channels.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve already seen that list of channel count from Dirac website, and there is something I never understood: Why 5.0/5.1/5.1.2/5.1.4 are supported but not 5.2 ? Meaning a standard 5 channel surround setup with 2 subwoofers.

SDC

I’ve already seen that list of channel count from Dirac website, and there is something I never understood: Why 5.0/5.1/5.1.2/5.1.4 are supported but not 5.2 ? Meaning a standard 5 channel surround setup with 2 subwoofers.

Because DLBC is still beta and you can put as many subwoofer as you wish into .1 mono LFE channel.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because DLBC is still beta and you can put as many subwoofer as you wish into .1 mono LFE channel.
Ohh the endless Beta. Hopefully the day will come, in which I could test it playing Pink Floyd The Endless River :p

Reactions: SDC

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have been running it with a 5.3 config. Requires a modified .json configuration file.

prerich

DLBC? It has been available for a while but still evolving.
Hello Kal, I have Dirac Multichannel & Dirac Live 3 (3.3.3) version installed and I managed to take some measurements. However, now that I want to remeasure, I can't connect back to the servers. My firewall is the same - the only virus protection that I'm running is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. This is getting very frustrating for a $500 program (could have upgraded my Dac to a DX-7 Pro for that price and selling my old dac). I've checked my license in my profile and it's fine - never expires and it's the multichannel one. Have you ever encountered an inability to access the servers (and by the way Dirac Live and Processor programs are allowed outside the firewall).

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Hello Kal, I have Dirac Multichannel & Dirac Live 3 (3.3.3) version installed and I managed to take some measurements. However, now that I want to remeasure, I can't connect back to the servers. My firewall is the same - the only virus protection that I'm running is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. This is getting very frustrating for a $500 program (could have upgraded my Dac to a DX-7 Pro for that price and selling my old dac). I've checked my license in my profile and it's fine - never expires and it's the multichannel one. Have you ever encountered an inability to access the servers (and by the way Dirac Live and Processor programs are allowed outside the firewall).
I'd suggest that you contact our HelpDesk, you'll find the link at the bottom of this page:
(you'll need to create a dedicated account)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Have you ever encountered an inability to access the servers (and by the way Dirac Live and Processor programs are allowed outside the firewall).
Only for few minutes and on rare occasions.

prerich

GalZohar

@abdo123 @sweetchaos @Χ Ξ Σ

The question about filter taps is a bit more complicated because the Dirac Live filters are not implemented as pure FIR filters.
Depending on which DSP it is, we either use a hybrid FIR and IIR filter structure or a dual-rate FIR filter structure.
But you can roughly say that our filter is equivalent to an FIR of length 500 ms, that is, 24000 taps at 48 kHz or 48000 taps at 96 kHz.
This has proven to be more than enough resolution to do room correction.
A higher resolution is not really necessary because the way the filters are designed limits the resolution (smoothing), otherwise we would risk to "over compensate"

Is there a meaningful difference in Dirac capabilities due to DSP differences of difference devices? I've seen claims that high-end Dirac processors can provide better results than mid-range receivers, but find it hard to believe without any proof (which I couldn't find).

wjp007

I've been enjoying Dirac through my Windows laptop. Occasionally I get into a mode where the audio gives me clicks and pops when Dirac is running. I have my PC connected to a Denon x3700h AVR via HDMI and Topping E50 via USB (using Voicemeeter to send audio to both devices). I have this config as I like to play multichannel music tracks in addition to stereo. My renderer is Foobar (but the issue also happens with Windows Media Player). Usually a reboot fixes the issue, but this time it isn't going away. If I try to increase the buffer size on Dirac Live Processor the clicks go away for the first track, but the next track I play there is no audio at all. Very strange. If I go back to the default buffer size on Dirac the audio comes back, but I get clicks and pops.

GalZohar

How does PC Dirac even work for HDMI output to a receiver that has a subwoofer connected? In terms of bass management.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does PC Dirac even work for HDMI output to a receiver that has a subwoofer connected? In terms of bass management.
If it's represented as a 7.1 interface, you'd just have the .1 channel for the sub.

GalZohar

If it's represented as a 7.1 interface, you'd just have the .1 channel for the sub.
So it will EQ the speaker based on speaker measurement measurement even though the bass will later get crossed to the subwoofer? Seems not very useful this way...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it will EQ the speaker based on speaker measurement measurement even though the bass will later get crossed to the subwoofer? Seems not very useful this way...
The PC version has the 7.1 option.

Top Bottom