• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Different Binding Posts - is it audible?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, there are plenty of examples where even experienced, "rationalist" listeners -even when they have measurements in hand- make claims and draw conlusions that are bizarre. I'll give you an example in this forum below. Many claimed that the speaker in orange was a fundamental, huge breakthrough, and the speaker in blue was "unlistenable". Amir flunked the blue speaker for lack of bass and didn't recommend it, and stated the orange one sounded amazing and highly recommended it. :) We all fall prey to this stuff. :-D And I am not pointing this out in any way to claim I am smarter or a better listener (although when I listened to the same two speakers I was like "What am I missing, what are they hearing I don't?" and thus superimposed the graphs to prove to myself I wasn't crazy... :-D... just shows that we all can easily fool ourselves and be inconsistent, even when the truth seems right there in front of us and we think we fall in the rationalist, measurements first camp... :)

View attachment 275582
Well, there is a 3-4dB difference around 3khz, which should be easily audible under the right conditions... and my guess is the real meat of the differences might come in the distortion readings rather than FR.

Personally I prefer to look at graphs and think about my own preferences, vs. whether Amir (or any other reviewers) subjectively likes it or not.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Personally I prefer to look at graphs and think about my own preferences, vs. whether Amir (or any other reviewers) subjectively likes it or not.
Exactly. The dispersion was also eerily similar. :) I basically think the character was pretty much the same (if anything the blue is more linear), and the differences may have fallen within the realm of production and testing variance (I think I read 2-3dB can be pretty typical with Klippel, but not sure - but up to 3dB falls into the barely discernible category esp at those levels so I'd harbor doubts about that making a difference between unlistenable and universally recommended :-D). In any case, I completely agree with you - I look at measurements and see if they make a potential difference to me. And often ignore the personal opinion editorials, especially when they get all flowery etc :-D

PS: And in no way ever do I claim I know better or have the best ears and the most unbiased psychoacoustic abilities on the planet. :) My point was just to show that both sides of the subjective-objective dichotomy can fall into a similar perception trap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom