• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Got a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless II after reading Amir's review of the LS50 and Erin's review of the wireless.

Gotta say it was a great purchase!

I’ve bought:
topping d90se dac-pre amp with great succes. Love the clean sound. Compared with bluesound Node intern dac.

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET class D power amplifier purifi with sparkos op-amps. I love this clean and powerful amp, no heat, clean lively sound, lots of power AND very affordable for the quality (approx 1500 eur)

thanks for the advise, very good quality for the money. I can recommend for most audio enthusiast.

Fox _ Mulder

3 compras: Topping D10s, Hifiman 400se, AKG K7XX.
Tanto Topping quanto AKG eu simplesmente amei, já os 400se que eu odiava, eu vendi.

Uma observação: Mesmo que o produto analisado passe na peneira de Amir, você pode ouvi-la e não gostar. Gosto é subjetivo.

Last edited:

Bathrone

Yes, Amir has positively influenced my purchasing. I'm thankful. As too has other comments from others here. Cudos guys

For me personally I also want to listen to it subjectively myself but that's just a personal bent I have for my own comfort. I haven't found a case yet where I've not felt the same with having totally different impressions. Its probably unnecessary it just for me removes purchasing doubt

posvibes

My main system apart from my speakers (Harbeth Compact 7-es2's) are all Amir's recommended products. Aimya a-07 amp + Topping E30 DAC. I lik the this a lot, and aesthetically it is minimalist, easily hidden amongst my books, as I have gone off the big box in your face look hifi.

My headphone system is Topping L30 amp +D30 DAC with Headphones AKG371, HE400i and Sennheise HD650's.

ASR has made my life so much easier in regards to Hi-Fi thanks Amir!

orangejello

I bought the Kanto YU6 based on Amir's recommendation. I've had them for several weeks. Can't seem to get into them at all. Natural instruments do not sound natural nor do voices. I have tried various speaker positions within the limits of the space that I have to work with. But I never seem to be able to eliminate a rather plasticy sound that infects the timbre of almost everything. I have to really concentrate to identify the instruments that I am hearing because the timbre is always off. I find myself unable to easily identify the difference between a tenor and alto sax for instance. The plasticy timbre obscures the difference. I tried the bass and treble tone controls and that helps a little. If I had listen to these before buying I would not have purchased them.
Ok. Change of heart. I’ve had these for awhile now in a small cabina in Costa Rica. The tone controls are great for dealing with the idiosyncrasies of cement block walls and funky layout. The result is thoroughly enjoyable. I’m curious about the embedded class d amp. Sounds real good to me and my reference is a NAD M22. Anyway, drinking gin and tonic with my sweet one listening to a Spotify playlist base on Atahualpa Yupangui. Pretty sweet. The rain is beating on the tin roof, so I cranked it up. Like Amir said in the review, these things play loud without distortion. The speakers are enjoyable. My complaint about the plasticy is gone based on judicious use of EQ.

Maybe the G&T has something to do with it?

Last edited:

paulrbarnard

I was aware of the Genelec Ones before, but Amir's 8341A review got me to finally take the plunge. Pricy, but I now know exactly what I have. They haven't disappointed me yet!
Me too. I went with a pair of 8331A and a 7360 sub.
I also bought the GLM and a GLM volume knob.
Very pleased with the purchase.

Kuma

Yes. SP200, SH-9 and RME ADI-2.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have done and will continue to seek the best technical and objective information to buy gear. Partly because I do not trust subjective marketing information, how could it possibly relevant to me, and partly because I do not trust my own subjective judgement in determining what the studio engineer recorded.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. How do you connect your cell to the A5?
Just got an eBay special but struggling to power my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms without cranking both phone and amp up to full.
Thanks
Who are you asking. It might help if you hit reply so we can see the quote of the post you are replying to. Bear in mind the last post in this thread was 2 months ago.

UltraNearFieldJock

Yes, a lot of: Topping D50, JDS Atom HPAmp, Soncoz SGD1, Monolith THX AAA-887, Hypex NC400 + SMPS600N400, HIDIZS S8 Sonata, Aiyima A07. All 1A! I didn't know, are there really so many! My best price/value audio purchase ever: HIDIZS S8 - incredibly performance for the money.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a JDS Labs Atom DAC+ and a Schiit Heresy headphone amp.

grahamterry1000

Amir's review of Fiio's A5 portable amplifier review convinced me it was worth buying. Being retired and on a fixed budget I'm long past "upgrade-itis". My daily exercise is walking and a favorite old 56 Ohm planar headphone at maximum volume cellphone driven were loud enough on quiet streets. ASR discussions prompted my curiosity about if I'd like them more tapped into more voltage and now I do. The A5 is discontinued and on-line had to pay well over $100 but am glad that I went ahead and bought them.
Hi. How do you connect your cell to the A5?
Just got one on eBay but struggling to adequately power my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms without cranking both phone and amp up to full. My phone is iphone 12.
Thanks

KellenVancouver

Just had the experience of turning this question around. Did not buy the Focusrite ISA One preamp because it has not yet been reviewed by Amir, so decided to move along to another item (Xmas gift for son).

mglobe

Forum Donor
Yes

Refurbished and kept my Apt Holman pre
MInIDSP Flex
Audiophonics mono blocks
KEF R3’s
Indirectly but based on comments running Roon Server on a Mac Mini piped directly to the Flex via USB

DerRoland

LOL, answer is I bought NOT the AVR-X3800, based of Amir’s results of reduced Sinad (wait for better AVRs in the future).

I bought the Wiim mini, cause of bit perfect and optical output at this low price was a mustbuy for me (Amir’s review steers my interest to this streamer).

Bumpy

Yes. Based on Amir's review I've made the following purchases over the past several months:

Benchmark AHB2 amps (pair)
Topping D90SE DAC
Revel F328Be speakers (I also did a listening test)
Anthem AVM70 processor
Truthear x Crinacle Zero IED

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
Why wouldn’t you at least consider his recommendations? He isn’t getting compensated by manufactures, tests the hell out of stuff, and probably deals with more gear in a month than I’ve seen in the last 10 years. I’m not saying I‘d base 100% of my decision on his reco, but it sure helps to be informed. He‘s not the only one, there are a number of members here who have experience and knowledge beyond mine. It’d be stupid not to leverage that when spending my hard earned money.

OP
Teeter

Teeter

I had Klipsch bookshelf for numerous years, the latest R-51M and the center RP-400C. Then went with JBL Stage A130 and Imagine XC. I had used JBL bookshelf in past years.

This year, I wanted to try the ELAC 2.0 B6.2 and the C5.2 and was within my budget. Amir's Review on the B6.2 was borderline and did not teeter one way or the other. All 3 speaker tweeters are at ear level and my distance from them and 55" 4K TV, is 6.5 feet. The dialog from the center channel is coming right from the TV picture person. The center channel is 3.5" below the TV frame.

I watch a lot of movies and some internet music and these ELAC's are what the doctor ordered for my 79 yr old ears. The side surrounds are the Polk S-15 that I have had, and were originally my mains, some time ago. I am currently engulfed in SOUND, in my small HT room.

Am I done with testing speakers????

Top Bottom