• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Downsizing my main system

munin

Hello all!

First of all sorry if I don't post my request in the good section. If so, feel free to move it at the right place.
Second, I am not English and so pardon my poor skill at english.
Third, no, okay, there is no third.

To give you a bit of context my current system is an Alientek D8 amp woth Celestion Ditton 44 for speakers.
My sources are my computer over USB or my phone over bluetooth using a module bluetooth / optical thing.

I was avorall very happy with the system until i moved to a different place and the room is now smaller. Around 2,50m x 3,5m.
I also noticed that I allmost not listen anymore to my system and I think I got bored of the sound of this system. It's probably nothing really rational but I think I wanna try something different.

As I understood reading some of your pages even if the Alientek D8 was not measured, it's not a too good amp. Am I wrong?

To replace it I would gladly give a chance to the Amir's favorite cheap amp: the Loxjie A30 .

I don't have a big budget, so I've listed three speakers which were reviewed here and I will list there by order of price here in France:

- Polk Audio XT-20 125€ new.
- Wharfedale Diamond 220 (around 150€ second hands, around 230€ new.) Removed because lack of bass.
- JBL Stage A130 270€ new, when available.
- Elac DB62 can be found around 220€ new.

I think that coming from a speaker with a 31 cm bass, I would rather go for a 16 cm speaker unit. Or it's doesn't matter for somehow "dynamic" kinda "punchy" bass?

I am open to second hand market to fit my budget. TBH I like spending hours searching for new stuff. But I would stay on speakers which have been measured here or elsewhere.

Based on what I've said what will be your go to and more important, why?

Thanks.

EDIT I can have a pair of Eltax Monitor 3 but as I don't trust my ears, do you have any measurements of them to link me? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
M

munin

Ok, so after watching few videos of Erin.

I remove the diamond 220 for lack of bass.

And I will add the Elac DB62.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Based on what I've said what will be your go to and more important, why?
I'd buy an SMSL PS100 for BT/USB input and pair that with an active studio monitor from Adam/JBL/Kali that matches your size and price requirements.

OP
M

munin

Hmm interesting.

The "problem" with this option is the "girlfriend" factor. She also likes to listen to music but... If it's requir for her to stand up, turn on two speakers and the DAc. She won't do it...
But I have to Admit the Kali LP6 would be nice.

Plus I realize that for easy placement, I would prefer a front port than a rear one. So... This pushes up the Elac DB62.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The "problem" with this option is the "girlfriend" factor. She also likes to listen to music but... If it's requir for her to stand up, turn on two speakers and the DAc. She won't do it...
Both the monitors and the DAC can stay turned on permanently. That's typically how they're used.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do they have a stand-by?
The Kali LPx v2 and Adam TxV series do not appear to have a standby function. Being Class D powered, their idle consumption should be quite low though.

If a standby function with power consumption <0.5W is required, then take a look at the JBL 30x MKII series.

Top Bottom