• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is because of the 220V and the coaxial input, which picks up electrical interference from the house.
It is quite possible that the interference susceptibiliy is specific to your system. For example a ground loop which is putting noise on the coax input.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Qudelix 5K, great sound with my HD800 via BT from my new phone which has no analog output.

EasyC

Forum Donor
Yes - Genelec 8030C (Desk/Studio), LS50Meta (HT, already had an SVS SB1000), very happy with both.
Nice to read not only the review, I'm no expert in graphs, but also the thread accompanying it to have some interpretation of the graphs and what they mean for performance.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
- Aiyima A07, powers an old pair of speakers in my workshop.
- Three WiiM minis
- Genelec 8010A (and 7040 sub) for home office desktop
- miniDSP Flex
- Currently in the "spin cycle" of deciding on a new main system, with various Genelec, Neumann, KEF, and Ascend speakers under consideration, and a Buckeye amp if the chosen speaker is passive.

Until I stumbled upon ASR I hadn't paid much attention to audio in decades, figuring: electronics were a solved problem; speakers were a problem that was getting solved very slowly, and for which there was no useful test data. ASR got me up to speed on the breakthrough that Klippel NFS provides in speaker evaluation, plus new developments in cheap hifi gadgets like Class-D chip amps and streamers.

Kakémono

It is quite possible that the interference susceptibiliy is specific to your system. For example a ground loop which is putting noise on the coax input.
So only the dac input would be affected by the ground loop? That seems very odd to me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So only the dac input would be affected by the ground loop? That seems very odd to me.
Well possibly - but...

1 - Ground loop was just one suggestion of one thing that could cause the issue. It was not a diagnosis.
2 - If ground loop were the cause, then it depends on the specifics of the loop. If it is from mains to source to dac and back to mains - then yes it would only impact the coax. Even if it went on to the amp and back to mains, then audibility will not necessarily be the same as coax input sensitivity. It depends on the specifics of the design of the components - and of the system set up.

Plus - it is very odd for SPDIF/Coax to be disturbed in a normal setup with normal cable lengths etc. Either something is not working right to the point of being broken - or there is a hell of a lot of noise to cause the disturbance on the coax interface..

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did. I wonder if a more fun topic would be did you buy in spite of Amir’s review and why?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did. I wonder if a more fun topic would be did you buy in spite of Amir’s review and why?
I bought the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 U52 in spite of the Eva Cassidy issue….

Haven’t tried them out yet (purchased used for kitchen duty)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The only Item I ever bought based on Amir's review is the Geshelli Archel 2 Pro.
I had the THX AAA 789 on launch day. Amir's review validated what I heard; which was nothing but my music.
Other products that I bought I did check here to see performance before I purchased them compared to something else... but I have also sent in various hardware to Amir and I am about to do it again.

Top Bottom