• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yes. Based on Amir's review I've made the following purchases over the past several months:

Benchmark AHB2 amps (pair)
Topping D90SE DAC
Revel F328Be speakers (I also did a listening test)
Anthem AVM70 processor
Truthear x Crinacle Zero IED

That's what I like about ASR, Amir did not get a penny of your money budgeted for audio nor did any advertisers send him money to use ASR to spread BS presented as fact.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh, so many people listening to 1kHz tones and dummy loads.

/Troll off

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found out about Hypex and the better Topping products because of this site, now I have an D90 -> A90 -> NC500 setup in the living room. I wouldn't go for that level of DAC / Pre overkill, but I got a deal on the pair on Craigslist. Same goes for the NC500... probably more power than I need but I got two Nord monoblocks for $600 total.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This site led me to a pair of Revel Performa F208s, and a Purifi amp (NAD C298). When volume is referred to as "reference level", I think they mean REALLY LOUD! This combo gets there effortlessly (combined with 2 Monoprice 10 inch THX subs :p ). No regrets.

Adaboy4z

I bought the Topping L70 and E70 and Hifiman headphones.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
First post here, been lurking for about 6 weeks. In that time I can thank Amir for a set of Revel M106s, Atom+ amp, Topping L30|| amp (purchased because the Atom doesn't seem to have quite enough oomph for the DCA Aeon RTs which are also on the same list). And have just received a miniDSP 2x4 with Dirac and am getting ready for my first shot at room correction. Fingers crossed!

I'm also in the Seattle area and Amir, if you happen to see this, if you'd be interested in doing a Klippel on an NHT 3.3 (only 123 pounds), I'd be happy to bring one over...

Groom

Topping DX7 Pro, D90, D50s + A50s, DX-3Pro+
Soncoz SGD1, LA-QXD1
Truthear x Crinacle Zero IED
Hifiman HE400SE

Last edited:

warpdrive

Of course I buy based on the measurements I see. I also take the subjective notes into account. This forum and Erin's reviews

Personally price is a huge consideration and sometimes I feel this forum doesn't factor in pricing as much as I want. For example, if there are some flaws but they are likely not largely audible but the product is very inexpensive, that's usually a win for me. If it's 80% as good at 20% of the price, then I would buy it.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I don't know if buying the Sierra LX's, as a result of sweetchaos passive speaker ratings counts?
Certainly I wouldn't have seen that without coming to ASR.
Ongoing, I am hoping that I won't need to buy anything extra anyway! :rolleyes: Ever!
However, should that hope fail, certainly Amir's input will be crucial!
As an aside. Is it just me? Should the Quad amplification fail, and need to be replaced, It's D class replacement will have to theoretically output more watts! So more than 170 a channel. Easily done, I know.

Mal

Yes, I bought KEF LSX, and am happy with them, though most other reviewers were saying they were excellent as well (e.g., Darko...)

Also, based on Amir's recommendation bought Topping 10s Dac + Aiyima A07 amp to replace a Nobsound Dac/Amp - but the they didn't make my (not recommended by Amir...) Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s sound wonderful. Probably need to replace the speakers!

jax1993

Forum Donor
This is my very first post on this forum. I am very glad to have stumbled upon this thread.

I bought, through a local audio shop even though they did not carry Revel at the time, the F328Be, purely based on Amir’s review and measurements. Never heard them until they were delivered and set up in my 7-foot ceiling basement space. Come to think of it, I don’t remember ever listening to any Revel speakers before. I was contemplating a pair of Wilson or Magico a couple of years ago.

But thanks to Amir’s review and ASR community, and after having read Floyd Toole’s book almost cover to cover, I decided to go with the F328Be. (Because my L-shape room seems to be causing a huge dip ~45 Hz, I also got a pair of JL Audio subs, which are placed at the corners of the side wall, with the external crossover set to 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave slope.)

With convolution filter on through Roon Nucleus DSP, the sound of the F328Be has been unfailingly rewarding over the past 12 months. I no longer feel the “nervosa” part of the audiophilia journey. A big thank you to Amir. Here is my room response (variable smoothing) at approx. ear level, about 7 feet from the channels, with and without convolution.

Attachments

• B857DE80-F88F-4CC0-94AA-EB4E40F22E7D.jpeg
    B857DE80-F88F-4CC0-94AA-EB4E40F22E7D.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 61

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
This is my very first post on this forum. I am very glad to have stumbled upon this thread.

I bought, through a local audio shop even though they did not carry Revel at the time, the F328Be, purely based on Amir’s review and measurements. Never heard them until they were delivered and set up in my 7-foot ceiling basement space. Come to think of it, I don’t remember ever listening to any Revel speakers before. I was contemplating a pair of Wilson or Magico a couple of years ago.

But thanks to Amir’s review and ASR community, and after having read Floyd Toole’s book almost cover to cover, I decided to go with the F328Be. (Because my L-shape room seems to be causing a huge dip ~45 Hz, I also got a pair of JL Audio subs, which are placed at the corners of the side wall, with the external crossover set to 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave slope.)

With convolution filter on through Roon Nucleus DSP, the sound of the F328Be has been unfailingly rewarding over the past 12 months. I no longer feel the “nervosa” part of the audiophilia journey. A big thank you to Amir. Here is my room response (variable smoothing) at approx. ear level, about 7 feet from the channels, with and without convolution.
Smashing first post!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought AudioQuest cables and cable lifters. Just like Amir said, they don't work ;)

Carlton80@0

VTV Purifi HP Monoblocks with Weiss buffers. Saw that the basics of the design was viable with the possibility that a few implementation details would have to be corrected in the field. Overall a good value for what is currently available.

soundtrane

Dealer
Amir's reviews and other posts led me to go with the RME ADI-2 DAC Fs. Many thanks.

scruffy1

thread resurrection

topping e70, which has been great

and confirmed that all the good news i had heard about the khadas tone board was based on solid engineering (because i already loved listening to it when i replaced a high end sound card in my pc.... wow !)

Top Bottom