• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

Tomino

Forum Donor
Yes I have.
* SMSL DACs for two different amps
* Roon lifetime membership
* A MiniDSP measurement mic
* Revel F208 tower speakers
Thank you for the guidance, Amir, and to all the others who have shared their knowledge!

nwilley

My first post here, hello! My most recent purchases were definitely influenced by Amir's reviews (as well as what I also deem subjectively "cool"). So, I do have a Schiit Modius and Midgard on their way now. I've been using a FX-Audio DAC-X6 and a FiiO K3 for the past two years since first getting into Hi-Fi equipment.

jax1993

Forum Donor
This is my second purchase based on Amir’s recommendations, and my second post on ASR almost exactly a year after my first. I bought the Topping E70 Velvet - my first Topping purchase. Nothing wrong with the E70 as reviewed, but I fancy the AK4499 chip after coming across remarks on ESS IMD hump. (I have an Aries Mini streamer and a Yamaha AS-801, both internal dacs use ESS chips. They sound Ok but I can’t say I’m impressed - it may or may not be the chip’s fault but I sure didn’t mind trying an alternative.) The E70V is to replace my Schiit Bifrost (gen 1), already 10 years old.

I was going to get the current Bifrost 2 Multibit, but hesitated given the primary function for this dac is to convert TV and Netflix audio, rather than music. In considering the Bifrost 2 Multibit vs the E70/E70V, I thought the Bifrost 2 Multibit measures well but not better than the E70/E70V. I did want the option of playing DSD files, and the E70V is quite a bit cheaper.

That the E70V sounds better than my old Bifrost is no surprise, but it also sounds better than the internal dac of my Aries Mini, which outputs via USB to the E70V. So far, I am enjoying the E70V very much. Compared to my old Bifrost, the sound from the E70V is more detailed, speech/articulation easier to follow, the bass tighter and soundstage deeper when playing music, and turning up the volume does not cause discomfort (which I attribute to increased noice and/or distortion).

I really appreciate Amir’s review and recommendation of Topping’s E70 dac.

Last edited:

scruffy1

This is my second purchase based on Amir’s recommendations, and my second post on ASR almost exactly a year after my first. I bought the Topping E70 Velvet - my first Topping purchase. Nothing wrong with the E70 as reviewed, but I fancy the AK4499 chip after coming across remarks on ESS IMD hump.
i have the ess based e70, and if you look at amir's review of this version you will see clearly that the hump is non-existent in their build using that chip

index.php

whereas for the velvet: onoz! hump!

1670734188-SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

my best guess is they both sound superb, and fwiw, even the good ol' khadas tone board (now called a tone 1) with quite prominent hump in the readings sounds gorgeous

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, the following :

Topping D50
Topping DX3 Pro V2
Topping E50
UMIK-1
Neumann KH310s
Douk Audio Little Bear MC3 3-IN-3- OUT

AdrianusG

Yes, i did

I bought the Eversolo or (Zidoo) Z8 DAC, and so far i'm very happy with it.
Of course I could have had the same performance with 200-300 Euro's cheaper solutions from either Topping or SMSL, but looks (yes very subjective i know:rolleyes:) and reliability also played some part.
As far as i'm concerned this is in fact my endgame DAC, for as long as it keeps working that is, better than this is totally inaudible to me.

My old CD player and Minidisk recorder, both connected digitally one by Coax and the other one by Fiber optics to it ,and it all sounds absolutely great that way.

Monster

Yes I have.

A SMSL C100, based on the review of the SU-1, and an Amazon Basic HDMI audio extractor.

I'm happy with both.

SlaughterX

Nah... and I probably won't, considering I love my RZ50 and he didn't think too highly off it. Still, I'll check out his reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

Putter

Forum Donor
KEF LS50 Meta, while he was not the only source of positive reviews his detailed review of frequency response, directivity and distortion gave me the facts for an informed decision to replace the KEF Q150's on my desktop system. The 150's gave me a taste of the advantages of a well designed coax system, but were missing something in terms of imaging in that they were somewhat 'head in a vice'. All I had to do was wait for one of their Christmas sales to upgrade. The aforementioned 150's ended up as centers in my home theater systems.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Yes. Hypex Nalai500DIY Stereo and two Topping LA90 Discrete amplifiers.

(I'm removing the crossovers from my 3-way speakers and going all active).

Liya

Yes.
Genelec 8030C
Neumann KH150
RME ADI-2 DAC fs
Truthear IMEs
Topping D10
Topping DX3 Pro
JDS Labs Atom +

Reactions: CMB

Kakémono

Yes, I bought the little Soncoz dac, and I regret it because it doesn't work very well in France!

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got my Topping d90se based on Amir’s review, which was at the time the top of his list. I was very happy. Problem is the meanie continued measuring new DACs that outmeasured it, and despite the fact that I know intellectually that none of this is audible, he’s kept me in an agonizing and relentless state of FOMO ever since. :facepalm:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I bought the little Soncoz dac, and I regret it because it doesn't work very well in France!
What does France have to do with it's performance?

Soria Moria

Bought the Aune AR5000 because of him. Wouldn't even have heard of it if it weren't for him.

Top Bottom