• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you want to know? It's fixing my rooms boomyness right now, is my DAC and preamp and i have yet to buy the Dirac license. It replaced my MiniDSP 2x4 HD, has more functions and better measurements.

If you can get one, go for it, it's a cool device. :cool:
I’m mainly curious about how you’re using it—I myself use Roon software for my DSP functions, and I’m wondering what advantages you’ve found with a hardware solution, and how you’ve integrated it into your setup. Do you mainly use it for parametric EQ, or does it offer other functions such as convolution files, sample rate conversions, crossfeed etc? And is it compatible with higher sampling rates offered by USB connections?

I’m always interested in new hardware solutions, and this one is new to me—I’m trying to do my own research but your experience would be appreciated! :)

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you want to know? It's fixing my rooms boomyness right now, is my DAC and preamp and i have yet to buy the Dirac license. It replaced my MiniDSP 2x4 HD, has more functions and better measurements.

If you can get one, go for it, it's a cool device. :cool:
Actually upon further investigation I’m really curious about the miniDSP SHD Studio—which is advertised as a network streamer, Roon Endpoint, Dirac room corrector, and DSP engine all in one—and it has digital outputs compatible with my Topping DAC. What I need to find out is whether it offers anything I can’t get from Roon. But it looks awfully impressive, and it’s nice to have Amir’s vote of confidence for the brand!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m mainly curious about how you’re using it—I myself use Roon software for my DSP functions, and I’m wondering what advantages you’ve found with a hardware solution,
Since it's hardware, it has a volume knob and different ways to connect to it for different devices i own, BT Aptx, Toslink, Coax. I bought a phono preamp recently and can now connect my record player as well.

and how you’ve integrated it into your setup.
It's connected to Line1 on my Amp. But i'll connect it to pre-in i think, that would remove the amps pre-amp section entirely.

Do you mainly use it for parametric EQ, or does it offer other functions such as convolution files, sample rate conversions, crossfeed etc?
Just PEQ for me, but it has some more tricks i haven't figured out yet.

And is it compatible with higher sampling rates offered by USB connections?
Yes, but it samples them down to 96kHz. Since the downsampling is in question, i use the function in MPD on my RaspberryPi to do the downsampling. But to be honest, i think it all makes no audible difference anyway.

I’m always interested in new hardware solutions, and this one is new to me—I’m trying to do my own research but your experience would be appreciated! :)
Surely for Roon you must have hardware as well?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it's hardware, it has a volume knob and different ways to connect to it for different devices i own, BT Aptx, Toslink, Coax. I bought a phono preamp recently and can now connect my record player as well.

It's connected to Line1 on my Amp. But i'll connect it to pre-in i think, that would remove the amps pre-amp section entirely.

Just PEQ for me, but it has some more tricks i haven't figured out yet.

Yes, but it samples them down to 96kHz. Since the downsampling is in question, i use the function in MPD on my RaspberryPi to do the downsampling. But to be honest, i think it all makes no audible difference anyway.

Surely for Roon you must have hardware as well?
Thanks for that nice explanation! I have an iFi Zen Stream as a Roon Bridge attached to a Topping D90se DAC as my Roon Endpoint, and use Roon for DSP functions and upscaling.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
1650025698301.jpeg

Pogre

I was aware of the Genelec Ones before, but Amir's 8341A review got me to finally take the plunge. Pricy, but I now know exactly what I have. They haven't disappointed me yet!
3fnn4yp962v21_copy_882x662.jpg

:p

I have not bought anything based on Amir's reviews, but if I were shopping they would definitely be something I look at.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed. They are very well build, love the connectors and the comfort... but the sound while objectively excellent, was lifeless and dull, seemed to be missing something, I ultimately returned them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ashimaru

Some of the items I bought based on the recommendations of the people here:
- Etymotic ER2SE (John Yang and Oluv's)
- Etymotic ER3SE + impedance adapter (John Yang)
- Oppo PM-3 (John Yang and Amirm)
- Sony MH1C with mod (Oluv's and John Yang)
- Meizu Hifi Pro (John Yang and Amirm)
- Apple dongle (John Yang and Amirm)
- Topping D30 (recommended from a friend, but I'm sure I saw Amirm's measurements which made me buy it)

Seen quite a lot of recommendations from Mr. Yang.

Of course I thank to @amirm, @JohnYang1997 and @oluvsgadgets for all the great recommendations and saving my money. I love all the recommended items.

In the future, I intend to buy Topping L30 and Hifiman Sundara 2020.

I have never been disappointed with well-measured items.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[imitating Freddy >>:] "For some, @amirm is bad news bears!" [:<< to the confusion of @srkbear]

I buy a product, @amirm tests it, I now use it as a door-stop!:cool:
Huh? Admittedly I’m confused, but could you help me explain why? What’d I miss? And did we have to bring up Freddy again? I’m still recuperating… :facepalm:

Update: OK I think I get it now—the “bear” thing, right? I admit I do qualify for the term (the first three letters are my initials and I’ll leave it to others to sort out the bear context). But in the circles I occasionally travel a “bad news bear” is often considered a compliment! Now I’ll leave it to you to be confused, I’ve said all I’m gonna say…:cool:

Last edited:

Eyud

So far:

Revel F208
Revel M16
Rythmik F12
Topping DX5
Benchmark AHB2
Benchmark HPA4
Audeze LCD-X

Soon:

MiniDSP Flex
Benchmark DAC3
Maybe another AHB2 :D

I've been super happy with all of it. I always read other reviews too, but ASR has become the first place I check when I'm considering buying something.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most of my Audio equipment was already there before I found this forum.
Bought my loyal and trusted DT-880 way back when in 2012 after hearing and liking my Buddies DT-990.
Bought my Clear as an experiment before Amir reviewed it. Still love it for what it is to this day.
Bought my Arias before Amir reviewed them. Since my Buddy had the 926 Edition and I could fall in love with the signature in a practical scenario.

I bought my RME ADI-2 DAC in a large part due to the glowing reviews it got here.

The biggest contribution this forum made in my Audio setup was the tip UMIK / Dirac and the knowledge about measurement and room correction. Also, despite Amir never testing it, the realization of the importance of DSP in a subwoofer made me choose my Arendal.

As for the rest, it more about what I didn't buy because of the knowledge gained here, like some overpriced stupidly powerful amplifiers that are totally unnecessary in my nearfield setup. I also learned that, while SINAD is important, knowing one's own limits is far more important when it comes to making smart purchasing decisions.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought iFi’s ieMatch impedance matching tech based on Amir’s review, and it solved significant problems for me—problems that I think are significantly underappreciated by many who might not realize that their sensitive cans or IEMs might have impedance mismatch issues with their amplifiers.

The ieMatch he tested comes in 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4mm versions as a separate headphone cable adapter, and offers three user-selected attenuation settings—0, -12 and -24db. IFi has a headphone calculator on their website that gives you setting recommendations based on a large database of commercially available cans. In my case the ieMatch came built into the 4.4mm jack of my iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp, and apparently applies variable attenuation based on the load it senses when headphones are connected.

I have several sets of headphones, including Focal Utopias, Sennheiser HD800s and a Sony Z1R, and despite the amp putting out over 14 watts of power, I was experiencing clipping with both the Utopias and Z1Rs at not unreasonably high volumes, particularly with any added DSP low shelf bass boost.

The amp comes with three gain settings—0, 9 and 18 db—and when using the non-ieMatched XLR headphone output, I had to set the gain at 0db to achieve appropriate volume ranges. The Sonys and Focals have impedance ratings of 60 and 80 ohms respectively, while the Sennheiser impedance is 300 ohms. The Sennheiser had no clipping issues at all.

When I finally got 4.4mm cables for the Utopias and Z1Rs, I plugged them into the ieMatched jack, and at first was puzzled because the volume dropped dramatically. But then I turned the gain up from 0 to +18db, and the headphones sprung to life. The resulting sound was considerably smoother and markedly less sibilant, with audibly less background noise—and I couldn’t get them to clip no matter how much volume or bass I threw at them.

@amirm found similar results in his review, with more sensitive cans only (the sound quality was expectedly worse with the high impedance headphones he tested). His review kind of came and went without much fanfare, but it brought to my attention the importance of being attentive to the output impedance of my amplifier in relation to the headphones I choose, and gave me a solution that opened up my options without having to part ways with my existing gear.

Hifinewb

I was looking for a replacement main bookshelf speakers for my 5.1 HT. I had been a JBL fan for several years. Since Amir gave a good review on the JBL Stage A130, and was cost effective, for me back in January, I bought at Crutchfield. The price then, was $179. I played JBL's for 3 months and went back to the Klipsch R-51M. Yesterday, I re-installed the JBL Stage A130, to give them a second chance. I had also replaced my 2015 model Denon AVR with a recent 2020 Model.

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?​

uhh....yes! I wanted the MiniDSP Flex and googled for reviews and that is how I found this site in the first place. I wasn't sure what to do about Amp(s) for the Flex. When I found the Topping PA5's and read Amir's review here I ordered a pair of them immediately.
IMG_2799.jpg

Spinitch

ASR particularly Amir review of Revel M105s helped with confidence in purchasing. SO liked looks and size, me2. They sound and look much better than a sound bar.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Aiyima A07, the one small amp with actual good power output. It's been fine sitting there on for months and months, stays cool.

Soandso

Amir's review of Fiio's A5 portable amplifier review convinced me it was worth buying. Being retired and on a fixed budget I'm long past "upgrade-itis". My daily exercise is walking and a favorite old 56 Ohm planar headphone at maximum volume cellphone driven were loud enough on quiet streets. ASR discussions prompted my curiosity about if I'd like them more tapped into more voltage and now I do. The A5 is discontinued and on-line had to pay well over $100 but am glad that I went ahead and bought them.

Top Bottom