• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop PC download speed is slow. In Safe Mode the download speed is fast. How to search for thing that is slowing the downloads?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So how to fix it? When we 1st had the service the upload vs download was very asymmetrical but has evened out now.
1- Change the Wi-Fi channel
2- Change the router to something decent

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Our standing joke used to be that "Friends ONLY recommend Friends FREEware!":rolleyes:
But I always made an exception by strongly recommending a PAYware called HagelTech DUmeter.
202304_DUmeter.jpg
[<<ignore the birdie shown in the surveillance camera.]
Since 2003, this nifty, auto-start, WinOS utility occupies a 10cmX3cm space in the lower-right corner of my second 27" monitor.
This powerful (lean/mean) program will not fix your network problems, but will sure make you more aware of what goes on LIVE on your network.
FREEware equivalents can be found elsewhere, but I am sticking to recommending this utility.

I run a bridged dual-NIC (10GbE +2.5GbE) and stoopid Win11Pro built-in network tools are... well... stoopid.
The Marvell NIC used to go offline, all the while Win11P troubleshooter stated no problems with my LAN.
Some obscure "Recv Segment Coalescing" was what finally stopped the random disconnects.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...and i'll send you a company mug and a $10 Starbucks card...
Bleh no takers. :)
We don't do StarBucks nor drink espresso from anything but double-wall borosilicate glasses.
I run four PoE 4K surveillance cameras
2 of these record thru the LAN network, while writing (H.265) to a NAS 24/7
These feeds are also used with mobile devices
NAS also feeds Audio as well as Video thru the house LAN
I run a few Audinate Dante (AoIP/AES67) PoE dongles on the same LAN/NAS
Two other NUCs are connected to the same LAN<>WAN
They do Netflix/AmazonPrime (and who knows what else)
I run a CreatorZ790ProArt motherboard, and as the name implies it is NOT meant for gaming but...
The WAN is cable/DocSiS ModemRouter
There are WiFi APs and an ACPL network for redundancy or portability
There are a few personal/family websites and dedicated servers to contend with
Uninterruptible downloads/uploads are a must

My trusted DUMeter (per my previous post) keeps monthly reports (2 months worth is more than you need and I should be giving out):
202304_2monthTraffic.jpg

...i'd be super-curious about anyone here that has a home use case for genuine 1GE. such stories would benefit me professionally...
Remembering that when the 10MB (MegaByte, e+6) Bernoulli magnetic drives first came out, we thought we were in hog-heaven!
Remembering that when modems @19.2kbps became available and the accompanying dial-tone music was soothing to the ears
Remembering that when the price of storage came down to $1/1MB we thought the magnetic-Gods were being kind to us
Remembering when SCSI reached 320Mbps but cost $300 just for the Adaptec card (and +$100 for new SCSI cable) we did not care; we "needed" it

No, I don't run a fiber optic network but, at the current time, a 300Mbps connection to the outside world is good enough
Yet this does NOT mean that I don't get near 1Gbps transitory thru-put on our little 2-NIC (2.5GbE/10GbE) network
I hope you are not going to go chihuahua on me and start nipping at my ankles about my usage is not really a genuine 1GbE, keeping in mind my 4 "Remembering..." examples.

I learned my lessons a long ago to not shortchange my unanticipated computing/networking needs in the future.
Your statement indicates you think otherwise.;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDR all the thread....but when I've used copying from hard drives to usb drives, it's always been way slower than spec. I've seen some excuses, but just seems typical MS bullshit. Anyone explain better?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDR all the thread....but when I've used copying from hard drives to usb drives, it's always been way slower than spec. I've seen some excuses, but just seems typical MS bullshit. Anyone explain better?
It is not just MS. Mostly the USB drives are the bottleneck. There is a dramatic difference between various brands and few get close to the limits of USB 3 (especially USB 3 gen 2). Typically SSDs in USB drives can be read much faster than written to. Some of the best such devices get to maybe 80% of max speed on read and maybe 65% on writing. Many brands never get even 50%.

Here is some info on tested memory sticks and USB drives from last year.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not just MS. Mostly the USB drives are the bottleneck. There is a dramatic difference between various brands and few get close to the limits of USB 3 (especially USB 3 gen 2). Typically SSDs in USB drives can be read much faster than written to. Some of the best such devices get to maybe 80% of max speed on read and maybe 65% on writing. Many brands never get even 50%.

Here is some info on tested memory sticks and USB drives from last year.
Thanks. When I'm transferring music the highest speed even with a recently purchased PNY 3.2 USB is like 27 Mbps and only briefly, it will usually settle to about 7-12 range. Is it that its a music file? Or using a laptop has further USB limits? I've seen mostly comments relating to MS OS.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There should also be a realization about facts which may contribute to the results of measurements:
1. The difference between Mbps and MB/s
2. The difference in speeds between transferring "Large File" versus "Small File" sizes, for both/either Reads as well as Writes.
In the case of a "music" file, it should be counted as a Large (contiguous) File.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. When I'm transferring music the highest speed even with a recently purchased PNY 3.2 USB is like 27 Mbps and only briefly, it will usually settle to about 7-12 range. Is it that its a music file? Or using a laptop has further USB limits? I've seen mostly comments relating to MS OS.
That is more like USB 2 speeds and not great for that. I have run into one external drive that needed a special driver for some reason. It was very slow on Windows machines, but fine on Macs. When I stumbled across the fact they had a driver file for their drive it was pretty fast once that was installed. Don't know if that is the case for the PNY, but worth checking.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked a PNY USB 3.0 64 gig stick on my old Lenovo laptop which is also USB 3.0 by transferring a folder of 1.5 gig of flac encoded music.
Windows 10.

83 MBps reading, and 66 MBps writing.

Using a newer Samsung USB 3 gen 2 256 gig drive on the same machine and the same file. Writing is 110 MBps and reading is fluctuating between 380 and 390 MBps.

Using the same memory sticks on a recent Win 11 laptop, the PNY improved to reading 97 MBps and writing 68 MBps. The Samsung transferred the file so fast I couldn't read it before it was done.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few Qs need As:
To where, exactly, is this data (LargeFileSize) being written to??
Is there any type of anti-malware engaged?
Any type of encryption on the source being written to?
ADD: I consistently reach 380Mbps from either a Kingston128GB or a Verbatim 64GB USB3.0 transfer to a NUC10 NVmE drive (thru the front input).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is more like USB 2 speeds and not great for that. I have run into one external drive that needed a special driver for some reason. It was very slow on Windows machines, but fine on Macs. When I stumbled across the fact they had a driver file for their drive it was pretty fast once that was installed. Don't know if that is the case for the PNY, but worth checking.
Didn't see much different with 2.0 either, tho. I will check on a driver, thanks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few Qs need As:
To where, exactly, is this data (LargeFileSize) being written to??
Is there any type of anti-malware engaged?
Any type of encryption on the source being written to?
ADD: I consistently reach 380Mbps from either a Kingston128GB or a Verbatim 64GB USB3.0 transfer to a NUC10 NVmE drive (thru the front input).
A FAT32 formatted USB drive if I understand correctly (also assuming you mean my situation :) ). Yes, have Bitdefender running. Don't believe there's any encryption involved but will have to check that? I've also transferred video files and never saw anything more than about 27 Mbps with various USB drives. When I did look into it almost always MS was blamed...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
imho: There is NO reason to keep a USB3.x in FAT32.
But that is NOT what I had meant.:(

Do the "curiosity killed the cat" thingy, and try writing the same file back TO the USB drive at hand (after the versa-vice).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
imho: There is NO reason to keep a USB3.x in FAT32.
But that is NOT what I had meant.:(

Do the "curiosity killed the cat" thingy, and try writing the same file back TO the USB drive at hand (after the versa-vice).
Well for my case that's so it works in the gear I want it to....so that's the main limitation?

ps I do appreciate the italics and change for vice versa....reminds me of my old Latin classes :0

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well for my case that's so it works in the gear I want it to...
I'll offer you a company mug and a $10 Starbucks card [I think @pablolie owes me :confused:], if you tell me the specific gear which forces you to retain FAT32.

Please keep in mind that FAT32 will prevent you from writing any file (video?) that is greater than 4GB...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll offer you a company mug and a $10 Starbucks card [I think @pablolie owes me :confused:], if you tell me the specific gear which forces you to retain FAT32.

Please keep in mind that FAT32 will prevent you from writing any file (video?) that is greater than 4GB...
Mostly just use in my car's player and avrs. Otherwise I have other choices, but a nice option for thumb drive content. Just when I see one of those movies where someone is copying huge amounts of data in short times, I get jealous....but otherwise I just leave the machine running until it's done and not worry a whole lot about it :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Emotiva XMC-1 FW updates require a FAT32 USB stick. Not sure about their newer processors (quit caring).

My old Pioneer ELITE requires FAT32 for updates and saving settings.

I have not kept up on more modern gear except for my SDP-75, which is happy with whatever is on the larger USB sticks I have (exFAT or NTFS, not really sure).

Pretty sure one of my first DSLRs wants FAT32 but that one is pretty much retired now.

Hopefully nothing in the past 5+ years.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Come, come, @DonH56 :oops:
View attachment 282641
Tell me you don't have a few boxes of USB/Flash stash, like this... going back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth! :cool:
No, I have boxes of old CDs and floppies in 3.5" and 5.25" sizes, though I got rid of the 8" versions a few years ago... I also have some old backup tapes (as in magnetic tape, cartridges and reels). Be darned if I am going to go looking to take pictures of them. And none are in fancy boxes like that, I'm impressed! :)

But I still have my XMC-1 in a box (anybody want it?), and my youngest son is using my Pioneer SC-27, so I do have a couple of FAT32 USB sticks around just in case. I even have a couple of DOS boot sticks around, someplace.

Top Bottom