• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop PC download speed is slow. In Safe Mode the download speed is fast. How to search for thing that is slowing the downloads?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so is the bottleneck the Google Fiber modem/router?
Simplistically, yes. But there are complications which make radio-based networking less consistent than cabled networking. As a friend and I were recently discussing, the optimum environment for WiFi 6E appears to be open offices (bull pens or cubicle farms) with network access points mounted on high ceilings. Line of sight between the radios gets you as close as possible to the maximum achievable data rates. Typical residences aren't optimal, even with mesh routers, though in the few cases I've assisted with, mesh routers are always better for WiFi 5 & 6/E.

When accessing the internet there's more variability, namely the ISP's infrastructure and the cloud servers on the other end of the connection. So the achievable data rates are highly variable if you're downloading or whatever. Data rates greater than 1Gbps are unlikely to be discernible with web pages or streaming. But, yes, for WiFi 6 the internet connection and modem will be the bottleneck.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just stood over the router and this is what I got.
1682287817170.jpeg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And sitting next to the extender. This is wifi-6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_171148_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_171148_Speedtest.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 42

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And sitting next to the extender. This is wifi-6.
Extenders are always slower, unless they are wired to the router. There is limited bandwidth in the allocated band. When that is shared with both devices each has half the capacity. It’s a simplification but you may get the idea.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. It was like this when we 1st had this installed. GF installer said to wait for a day or two and it would even out. It has for the most part but at times the upload speeds is 2 to 3 times the download speed. Unfortunately the GF app is very limited and we can't get into any settings.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. It was like this when we 1st had this installed. GF installer said to wait for a day or two and it would even out. It has for the most part but at times the upload speeds is 2 to 3 times the download speed. Unfortunately the GF app is very limited and we can't get into any settings.
What does their support say?

• Symmetrical download and upload speeds up to 1 gigabit

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does their support say?

They intimated it would "equal out" over a couple of days, insinuating it was our devices that were the problem-something along the lines of "it may take a day or two for your devices to adjust to the new speed". I thought that was BS but didn't say anything.

This is on my PC via ethernet.

Attachments

• 2023-04-23.png
    2023-04-23.png
    435.7 KB · Views: 42

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When the neighborhood near me first had fiber optic, uploads were faster than downloads for a year or more. Not drastically. Seemed as more and more people signed on it became closer to symmetrical.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the neighborhood near me first had fiber optic, uploads were faster than downloads for a year or more. Not drastically. Seemed as more and more people signed on it became closer to symmetrical.
Interesting-GF just became available to my 'hood in the past 6 months.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They intimated it would "equal out" over a couple of days, insinuating it was our devices that were the problem-something along the lines of "it may take a day or two for your devices to adjust to the new speed". I thought that was BS but didn't say anything.

As you can see GF is not the fault. The wired connection is symmetrical. The problem is with your Wi-Fi which is asymmetric.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you can see GF is not the fault. The wired connection is symmetrical. The problem is with your Wi-Fi which is asymmetric.
So how to fix it? When we 1st had the service the upload vs download was very asymmetrical but has evened out now.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are using their modem/router and extender.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

that's pretty darn good actually. keep in mind that you may always have some contention from other devices. also consumer internet contracts (if you read them) tell you that BW is merely typical - it's "best effort" stuff.

in other words, if for some reason you need full 1GE "goodput" 24/7, consumer internet is not your service. but be ready to pay accordingly more...

OTOH honestly i have no idea why i'd need constant wire-speed 1GE performance. it 's over-plenty for anything even i do. and i do regularly work on bandwidth hungry 8k video stuff for demos to demo the advantage of 400G and even 800G interfaces. it takes many 1GE interfaces/probes for that. i'd be super-curious about anyone here that has a home use case for genuine 1GE. such stories would benefit me professionally and i'll send you a company mug and a $10 Starbucks card. :)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So how to fix it? When we 1st had the service the upload vs download was very asymmetrical but has evened out now.
This is not showing it as evened out. It looks like the fault of the router.

1682363805964.jpeg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
that's pretty good actually. keep in mind that you may always have some contention from other devices. also consumer internet contracts (if you read them) tell you that BW is merely typical - it's "best effort" stuff.

in other words, if for some reason you need full 1GE "goodput" 24/7, consumer internet is not your service. but be ready to pay accordingly more...
You must have missed the data about the member’s wired data throughput. It’s symmetrical. His asymmetry is on Wi-Fi hence nothing to do with the ISP, other than giving them the problem router. It’s pretty normal for ISP supplied routers to perform bad. They are free after all. I suggest replacing them with decent routers.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not showing it as evened out. It looks like the fault of the router.

View attachment 281234
What I meant is the up/download speeds have somewhat normalized on ethernet. They were equally bizarre even on ethernet when we 1st subscribed-something like 240 download and 960 upload-crazy.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hooked up an Orbi mesh system and this is on wifi (this is away fib the GF router)

Screenshot_20230424_223640_Speedtest.jpg

Top Bottom