• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H

Taso

Hi, I'm following an auction on eBay. is this serial equivalent to an AKM chip? Thanks again!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 225

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Hi, I'm following an auction on eBay. is this serial equivalent to an AKM chip? Thanks again!
I think this is an AKM chip machine. From the serial, the build date looks like July 2020 (change was in May 2021) and the last five digits are well below 7000, again indicating that is an AKM machine.

Taso

Penso che questa sia una macchina chip AKM. Dal seriale, la data di costruzione sembra luglio 2020 (la modifica era a maggio 2021) e le ultime cinque cifre sono ben al di sotto di 7000, indicando ancora una volta che si tratta di una macchina AKM.
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do and if I want to risk it. Certainly with a 3600 there is no risk of any akm. Good day!

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do and if I want to risk it. certainly with a 3600 there is no risk of no km. Good day!
There is a good reason why it is extremely difficult to find a used 3600. If you find one eventually, make sure it is in perfect condition and it not, it is returnable for a full refund.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is a good reason why it is extremely difficult to find a used 3600. If you find one eventually, make sure it is in perfect condition and it not, it is returnable for a full refund.
I bought the 3600 before there were any 3rd party measurements. It's strictly for two channel as a preamp to my Salks and I couldn't be happier. There wasn't a preamp with bass management in that price range and none with HDMI inputs untill I got up into 3k range..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the 3600 before there were any 3rd party measurements. It's strictly for two channel as a preamp to my Salks and I couldn't be happier. There wasn't a preamp with bass management in that price range and none with HDMI inputs untill I got up into 3k range..
Yep, just pretend it is a 2 channel integrated with dac, and it is the best measured integrated in the <$2,000 range. The other features such as HDMIs, XT32, bass management etc are just bonus.

Last edited:

Fofocho

Perfect!

I basically want to do an external DAC from my Pc in Pure Direct. I’ll use my Pc for all kinds of room correction.

I LOVE Audyssey MQX but I figured this will be a good tinkering opportunity with other plugins specifically for music.

At the end of the day, HEOS and MQX could be the end game but I’ve found love in playing.
It is a pitty that new Denons and Marantz do not have anymore the "7.1 CH IN" inputs. That was the only way to guarantee 100% analog mode on the receiver

strumf666

How feasible would a dac swap be on a modern AVR? The soldering part shouldn't be that difficult, but I don't really understand the implication of such a procedure; would everything simply work and be/sound better or is it more complicated than that?

multisport4me

How feasible would a dac swap be on a modern AVR? The soldering part shouldn't be that difficult, but I don't really understand the implication of such a procedure; would everything simply work and be/sound better or is it more complicated than that?
Oh god no. Way more than a pin compatible chip swap.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'd rather wait for newer models with better DACs..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
They designed a compete new DAC board.... it isn't just chip replacement

Zooqu1ko

The DACs need to be configured for the type of signal they are to output, and that's done e.g. over an I2C link with some manufacturer and/or DAC specific commands. On top of that, the requirements for power supply and analog signal handling are sometimes radically different. A more realistic option for better DACs would be to add S/PDIF outputs and a better external DAC, as done (or attempted) over in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dsp-spdif-outputs-to-avrs.19468/post-1792492. You'd probably lose the volume control or your AVR - that would make it difficult if you wanted to just upgrade left and right.

Ghost723

I grabbed this quote somewhere, maybe here (?) ....sorry can't remember :

"The S/N has the format LLLL (4 letters) MM (month) YY (year) DDDDD (5 digits).
The AKM 'originals' were built before May 2021 (MMYY below 0521) and have a DDDDD below 70000 (seems to start with a "0" in most cases)."

If built before May 2021 and serial number ends with number below 70000, then has the AKM dacs.
Have I gotten myself an unicorn?

I just acquired a used X6700 with a very low 706XX serial#, indicating it has the HDMI fix. The leading digits are 0421 (for April 2021), which would place it before the May 2021 DAC swap?

Last edited:

Ghost723

Have I gotten myself an unicorn?

I just acquired a used X6700 with a very low 706XX serial#, indicating it has the HDMI fix. The leading digits are 0421 (for April 2021), which would place it before the May 2021 DAC swap?
Got adventurous and cracked her open to have a peek. Located the DAC board and there they were - a row of TI PCM5012As. Drat! An unicorn she was not.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got adventurous and cracked her open to have a peek. Located the DAC board and there they were - a row of TI PCM5012As. Drat! An unicorn she was not.
Don't let that bothers you though, keep in mind a) the much more expensive SR8015 will have the same unless you could find that unicorn borned before the spring of 2021, and b) most people believe below 0.1% THD, that is, 60 dB SINAD is already at the level below the threshold of audibility, so the 90 dB you can expect from the X6700H, that is 0.003%, is not going to result in audible difference. Even under the worse test conditions, such as for the higher frequency signals in music, the X6700H should be able to clear 70 dB SINAD mark.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not to worry, I got the last generation of the X4700H with the post-fire DAC's.
It sounds OK to me. ;)

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It sounds OK to me. ;)
Same here and considering I've used the previous version of the DAC and didn't have an issue back then, it wasn't a difficult choice for the money.

Ghost723

Don't let that bothers you though, keep in mind a) the much more expensive SR8015 will have the same unless you could find that unicorn borned before the spring of 2021, and b) most people believe below 0.1% THD, that is, 60 dB SINAD is already at the level below the threshold of audibility, so the 90 dB you can expect from the X6700H, that is 0.003%, is not going to result in audible difference. Even under the worse test conditions, such as for the higher frequency signals in music, the X6700H should be able to clear 70 dB SINAD mark.
It sounds OK to me. ;)
Same here and considering I've used the previous version of the DAC and didn't have an issue back then, it wasn't a difficult choice for the money.
Yup, we’re all on the same page. I just thought I may have stumbled across a unicorn, and knowing that I've got extra under the hood for no better reason than "It feels good". :D

Top Bottom