• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

oupee

It doesn't make sense with an amp that can't handle. But when it's managed well, the payoff is absolutely "colossal". The fact of having a multitute of bass transmitters in line in front of you, confers a more homogeneous bass (less knots) in the piece, and a dynamic which never crumbles.

You won't, but if you're really curious, try an amp that has auto-phasing algorithm. And put your speakers in Large. You will rediscover your multi-channel soundtracks.

And anyway, the problem also arises if the speakers are small ... (since the problem lies in the delay of the low frequencies that there is in the input signal)

Sync/Basse (Bluray-Live)

(+-5 ms) :
Lee Retenour
Shakira
Stromae
Amy Winehouse (DTS-HD)
Calogero (DTS-HD)
David Foster

0 ms :
Destiny's Child
Ayo
This IS it
Adèle
Ben l'oncle soul (DTS-HD)
Chris Botti in Boston (TrueHD)
Hans Zimmer
I'm happy with the SR8015 but I tried to set up 5ms and the bass is much stronger (Blade 4k / Atmos). I remember the Harman/Kardon AVR5500, the best sound i had. Today's receivers do not match its sound. Today I have HDMI inputs, more channels and sound modes but the sound is declining and the problems are growing.
i am using google translator

Last edited:

Jason168

I just bought the 6700h. I wish I would have read this before. Do you guys think at this point the “defective units” have made it through the market.
what’s the chance of denon not really replacing the capacitors in all units but only to the one that was send for testing.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just bought the 6700h. I wish I would have read this before. Do you guys think at this point the “defective units” have made it through the market.
what’s the chance of denon not really replacing the capacitors in all units but only to the one that was send for testing.
Good question, as I'm also considering a new AVR.

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
Allegedly the impacted x6700h all had serial numbers below 1000; the one I bought in early November was well above that.

Jason168

Allegedly the impacted x6700h all had serial numbers below 1000; the one I bought in early November was well above that.
And how has it performed for you?

so the lack in performance in the first units was it something that you could hear in the quality of sounds or was it more a technical performance. ?

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
It has performed amazingly. This thread and its predecessor contains a great deal of the details you are requesting. I never heard one of the x6700h with the faulty cap/s.

Jason168

It has performed amazingly. This thread and its predecessor contains a great deal of the details you are requesting. I never heard one of the x6700h with the faulty cap/s.
Awesome I’m getting mine delivered tomorrow upgrading from a Yamaha aventaje rx a770. Also upgraded to klipsh premier speakers. And will run 7.2.4. I hope the calling speakers are worth.

opus

Did someone ask denon for serial numbers of x6700h assembled with faulty cap/s for Europe?

Bindou

Hello everyone, I am sharing a link with you which lists all the problems detected by French users. This is the first Denon that I have so much of an unresolved issue with. I think this series came out too quickly, to meet the demand for an HDMI 2.1 amplifier. They are not ready. Many of us are still waiting for answers.

PS: Only the capacitor problem seems to be ancient history.

-> https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...problemes-t30111046.html?hilit=denon problème

Jason168

Been trying to get a hold of denon to ask some questions but nobody picks up they dont answer emails.

EoniX

I just bought the X6700H in DK from Hifiklubben and the serial numbers are different from what i can see in this post and im eager to determine somehow if my unit could be part of the bad batch.

More specifically i can gather from this thread that it wasnt confirmed if this was isolated to US units or if the unit number ending the serial number is reset each year ( which i hope is the case ).

Do you guys think its safe for me to assume the following:

@amirm test unit: DBCY032000007 ( was built in 2020 ? )

Other units mentioned in this thread:
DBCY042000201 ( was built in 2020 ? )
DBCY062000758 ( was built in 2020 ? )
DBCY092001091 ( was built in 2020 ? )

Unit on display in DK: DBCZ052000178 ( was built in 2020 ? )
My new unit in DK: DBCX022100848 ( was built in 2021 ? )

My new unit is Premium Silver so maybe the 1 is an indication of that?

It should be mentioned that i was in dialog with Hifiklubben about this, and they claim that this new unit was part of a brand new shipment from Sound United (Denon).

Disclaimer: Serial numbers listed are examples observed not my actual serial numbers.

As you can see if we follow strictly what was mentioned about the first 860 units being affected, mine would fall into that but there are other changes in the serial number that might indicate production year? And assume anything built in 2021 should be OK.

What do you think? Should i open my X6700H or return it?

Last edited:

EoniX

I just bought the X6700H in DK from Hifiklubben and the serial numbers are different from what i can see in this post and im eager to determine somehow if my unit could be part of the bad batch.

More specifically i can gather from this thread that it wasnt confirmed if this was isolated to US units or if the unit number ending the serial number is reset each year ( which i hope is the case ).

It should be mentioned that i was in dialog with Hifiklubben about this, and they claim that this new unit was part of a brand new shipment from Sound United (Denon).

Disclaimer: Serial numbers listed are examples observed not my actual serial numbers.

As you can see if we follow strictly what was mentioned about the first 860 units being affected, mine would fall into that but there are other changes in the serial number that might indicate production year? And assume anything built in 2021 should be OK.

I actually managed to get on the phone with a dutch Denon supporter after 54 minutes wait, who even though they were understaffed today because of holidays and couldnt lookup the production date, he knew about the issue with a bad batch and remembered they got an internal email listing all the affected units.

He called it “The condenser issue”.

He is doing all he can to bring verification to me but needed more time so it still sits on my table… :)

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Better to wait for their response if the return window allows. The different Ser.# could be due to the different DAC IC used?

EoniX

Better to wait for their response if the return window allows. The different Ser.# could be due to the different DAC IC used?

Denon Support UK just called me and confirmed that my unit is not part of the capacitor issue.
The Dutch Denon support is still working on confirming :p i sure hope they reach the same conclusion cause im going to install this beast now!

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Denon Support UK just called me and confirmed that my unit is not part of the capacitor issue.
The Dutch Denon support is still working on confirming :p i sure hope they reach the same conclusion cause im going to install this beast now!
Welcome Aboard @EoniX, and good luck with the unit.

EoniX

Welcome Aboard @EoniX, and good luck with the unit.

Thank you!

The dutch Denon support returned to me in writing that he had also checked in his reference mail to the capacitor issue that my unit is not part of that production :)

So right now my system is up and running and i’ve just heard my first piece of DTS-HD Master content (Lone Ranger) 7.1 bluray :)

Im on a full Dali Rubicon setup and i have more than enough power now to power them :)

Very happy! Lets go!

Last edited:

user54

Why is there a difference in measurements between 6700 and 4700, they have the same DACs, the same LPF ratings, the same volume controls?

user54

In 6700, a separate transformer winding for analog power supply + - 7V, the stabilizer is assembled on transistors, and in 4700 it is also combined with + 5V D and assembled on 7805

insoc

Is the SR8015 a good substitution for all the problems one are experiencing with the Denon 6700H? Do both equipments have different sound signatures or they sound much alike?

lufc001

I’m about to get a X6700H myself, however wanting some clarification and not sure if this is possible.

I’m running 5.1 currently and want to upgrade to Atmos. I’ve got the 4 speakers to upgrade to 5.1.4 but I also want to power 2 more channels as Zone 2 and 3 to run audio in the patio and the pool.

From reading the manual it would appear I can only do the 5.1.4 and either Zone 2 or Zone 3 not both. Anyone here able to confirm?

Top Bottom