• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

CapMan

Major Contributor
I guess if I was in their marketing and sales teams I would use Black Friday to hook in as many subscriptions as possible, then roll out DLBC after the sale to capitalise on the larger user base .

PHD

I asked this question in an other thread but was wondering which to choose the Denon AVR-X4008H or the Marantz Cinema 40 the insides look identical
They share the EXACT same hardware—the only differences are cosmetics, FW (software), and GUI. However, sonically, the Cinema 40 may appeal to audiophools who prefer a "warm" more analog sound. This is attributed to FW-based artificially added digital distortion (harmonics) aimed to create a psychoacoustic effect on the Marantz line.

mosco

Dirac seems to me to be an erroneous commercial policy in all its aspects. link the Av to the license, retain DLBC. Audessy, ReW and Mso and you are left with a magnificent and very satisfactory system. We will sit and wait for the wonders of "Art"

PHD

So with the Denon you get HDAMs too?
there is no mention of HDAM on any of the new Denon/Marantz product lines. Whatever HDAM did, I assume it's now being emulated by a software-based approach only on the Marantz AVRs.The effect remains the same. To many, the Cinema 40 will sound more "musical" in stereo than the X4800H. But they sound the same for movies and TV. I'd go with the cheaper X4800H.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
1700485088685.png

(Not that I care one bit about HDAM myself by the way.)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My speakers are 4 Ohms will this AVR work or should I wait for the 6800H?
It won't matter whether you go with the 6800 or even external power amps depending on your listening habit, the impedance/phase angle curve, speaker sensitivity and seating distance.

Consider the following facts, on all else being equal basis:

- Sensitivity is important, for example, 90 dB/2.83V/m would offset the higher demand from a 4 ohm speaker vs a 8 ohm speaker that has 87 dB/2.83V/m.
- Distance matter more, SPL drops 6 dB example: if sit 2.75 m from your 4 ohm speaker, power requirement would be about the same as if sit 3.41 m from your 8 ohm speaker.
- Impedance curve matters: Not all so called nominal 4 ohms are equal, depending on the nature of impedance dips, some 4 ohm speakers are don't need much more power than some 8 ohm speakers.
- Phase angles matter too, as most class AB amps may have trouble dissipating heat adequately, and some may run into stability issues if the phase angles are much higher than normal especially if capacitive in nature.
- Lastly, as we all know, it take 2X the power to gain merely 3 dB of SPL, 3 dB of SPL +/- is just a few clicks +/- difference on the volume dial.

Practically speaking, it is better to use an online calculator to figure out your power need first, and then decide whether you need an external power amp, than to worry about which AVR to choose based on their specified output ratings.

alik1006

Forum Donor
I just picked the Denon AVR-X4800 up for $1700 from Best Buy (I had them price match from Amazon) and I'm very excited to get this puppy up and running. I'll report back once I've broke it in. Thanks for the review!
Same but directly from Denon. Will see how it goes. :)

Descartes

Major Contributor
It won't matter whether you go with the 6800 or even external power amps depending on your listening habit, the impedance/phase angle curve, speaker sensitivity and seating distance.

Consider the following facts, on all else being equal basis:

- Sensitivity is important, for example, 90 dB/2.83V/m would offset the higher demand from a 4 ohm speaker vs a 8 ohm speaker that has 87 dB/2.83V/m.
- Distance matter more, SPL drops 6 dB example: if sit 2.75 m from your 4 ohm speaker, power requirement would be about the same as if sit 3.41 m from your 8 ohm speaker.
- Impedance curve matters: Not all so called nominal 4 ohms are equal, depending on the nature of impedance dips, some 4 ohm speakers are don't need much more power than some 8 ohm speakers.
- Phase angles matter too, as most class AB amps may have trouble dissipating heat adequately, and some may run into stability issues if the phase angles are much higher than normal especially if capacitive in nature.
- Lastly, as we all know, it take 2X the power to gain merely 3 dB of SPL, 3 dB of SPL +/- is just a few clicks +/- difference on the volume dial.

Practically speaking, it is better to use an online calculator to figure out your power need first, and then decide whether you need an external power amp, than to worry about which AVR to choose based on their specified output ratings.
My speakers are very inefficient at 85db I listen to 85db volume on average and that don’t exceed 95db with movies

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My speakers are very inefficient at 85db I listen to 85db volume on average and that don’t exceed 95db with movies
What's the distance between you seat and the front speakers, and do you have the impedance vs frequency curve for the speakers?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
85 dB average means potentially 105 dB peak with movies mastered to THX standard.

That's very loud, that I think most people would not do it regularly and risk hearing damage.

If you really do listen that loud, the LS50 is not the right speakers for you. I use them for my desktop and they sound great, especially with Dirac Live in use. Anyway, if you must do it, then I would suggest you use a sub and set crossover to 100 Hz or higher.

Amir measured it, and his impedance/phase angle graphs look the same as Stereophile's so I don't know why he said phase angle was also high at the impedance dip at 216 Hz. The curve show phase angle was actually quite low at around 200 Hz.

Being at 7 ft, I am sure the X4800H can make them sound loud enough for you assuming your "85 dB average" is a typo.:D Even then, it can be done but it won't be pretty, and you would be pushing the limit of the LS50 that B&W's specs said:

Amplifier requirements: 25–100W. Maximum output: 106dB.

1212KEF50fig1.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
85 dB average means potentially 105 dB peak with movies mastered to THX standard.

That's very loud, that I think most people would not do it regularly and risk hearing damage.

If you really do listen that loud, the LS50 is not the right speakers for you. I use them for my desktop and they sound great, especially with Dirac Live in use. Anyway, if you must do it, then I would suggest you use a sub and set crossover to 100 Hz or higher.

Amir measured it, and his impedance/phase angle graphs look the same as Stereophile's so I don't know why he said phase angle was also high at the impedance dip at 216 Hz. The curve show phase angle was actually quite low at around 200 Hz.

Being at 7 ft, I am sure the X4800H can make them sound loud enough for you assuming your "85 dB average" is a typo.:D Even then, it can be done but it won't be pretty, and you would be pushing the limit of the LS50 that B&W's specs said:

I have two pairs of the LS50 Metas, one set for a dedicated 2-channel listening room (with the excellent Solidsteel SS-6 stands) and another set in near-field on my desktop (with the excellent ION Forge stands). I love them. That said, they are not loud. At high SPLs, say 85 dB, they have significantly audible distortion, particularly in the bass region. Amir's review points this out:

I think they are fantastic for near-field, especially if you want coaxial drivers, but don't want to mess with active speakers that have lots of latency and become a mess of wires and cabling, like Genelecs. For home theater, I would not recommend them. Maybe with a subwoofer, as you said? Or a small bedroom. But even then...at most I would use one of them laid on its side as a center speaker.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slight tangent. I am curious about your use of Dirac Live on the desktop with these. Does DL present itself as a system device through the WSAPI or ASIO interfaces? In other words, when running DL on the desktop, can you use it to apply room correction to all the audio coming out of the system?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Slight tangent. I am curious about your use of Dirac Live on the desktop with these. Does DL present itself as a system device through the WSAPI or ASIO interfaces? In other words, when running DL on the desktop, can you use it to apply room correction to all the audio coming out of the system?

I mostly use WASAPI, and yes as long as I use media player such as JRiver, Foobar, Amazon, Kobzz, Tidal etc., it will work fine.

Descartes

Major Contributor

1212KEF50fig1.jpg
Thank you I meant 75db

Top Bottom