• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 69 21.0%

• Total voters

pogo

Major Contributor
This is the main reason why an AVR usually sounds better with an external power amp: Link

evert

I want to use a 5.1.4 setup in my Main Zone and 2.0 in Zone 2, but that seems impossible to configure.
I thought I could assign any of the "assignable" outputs to anything, but thats not the case.
I don't use Surround Back, and ideally I'd like to assign that to my Zone 2 speakers, but they HAVE to be assigned to the Heights outputs for some reason.
I guess I have to use an external amp after all, even though I'd never use more than 9 channels at the time.

hiphop_odc

I want to use a 5.1.4 setup in my Main Zone and 2.0 in Zone 2, but that seems impossible to configure.
I thought I could assign any of the "assignable" outputs to anything, but thats not the case.
I don't use Surround Back, and ideally I'd like to assign that to my Zone 2 speakers, but they HAVE to be assigned to the Heights outputs for some reason.
I guess I have to use an external amp after all, even though I'd never use more than 9 channels at the time.
Yes, it only have 9 channels of amplification and you want to use 11.
But you can just buy a cheap class D amp and you're good

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can do it, just a little more work changing your settings back and forth. For simplicity, use of an ext. amp if the best way. Just grab one of those Fosi Audio V3 amp and you are all set.

rocketroberto

I’ve a question about Dirac on the denon vs PC. (I guess I don’t understand ‘how’ it runs).

Big picture is that i noticed there’s no DLBC for the x4800h yet. If I’m planning on exclusively streaming 2.1 music from a MAC via hdmi to the denon (only using denon for 3.1 tv/movies) can I just buy Dirac live and dlbc for the Mac? Does Dirac ‘recommend’ settings for me to make with my speakers? Or does it actually tweak the audio stream real-time as it’s being sent?

Or does Dirac it have to be supported by (and ‘running on’) the denon?

DLBC is interesting to me because I have a sub that I can’t move around, and the room setup is a little funky.

The x4800h is now $1800 on Amazon but I’m also still very tempted to get the anthem mrx740 at $3k since its arcg is all included and apparently very close to Dirac.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve a question about Dirac on the denon vs PC. (I guess I don’t understand ‘how’ it runs).

Big picture is that i noticed there’s no DLBC for the x4800h yet. If I’m planning on exclusively streaming 2.1 music from a MAC via hdmi to the denon (only using denon for 3.1 tv/movies) can I just buy Dirac live and dlbc for the Mac? Does Dirac ‘recommend’ settings for me to make with my speakers? Or does it actually tweak the audio stream real-time as it’s being sent?

DLBC is interesting to me because I have a sub that I can’t move around, and the room setup is a little funky.

The x4800h is now $1800 on Amazon but I’m also still very tempted to get the anthem mrx740 at $3k since its arcg is all included and apparently very close to Dirac.
I am not sure I understand your question. If you meant running DLBC on your Mac, then of course you can have the sound output from the Denon via HDMI, that's if you already have the PC licence for DLBC.

The MRX 740 includes ARCG but it has only 1 sub channel, the 2nd one is paralleled with the 1st one, just like a Y connection. Also, DLBC, imo is more effective and easier to customize.

rocketroberto

I am not sure I understand your question. If you meant running DLBC on your Mac, then of course you can have the sound output from the Denon via HDMI, that's if you already have the PC licence for DLBC.

The MRX 740 includes ARCG but it has only 1 sub channel, the 2nd one is paralleled with the 1st one, just like a Y connection. Also, DLBC, imo is more effective and easier to customi

The MRX 740 includes ARCG but it has only 1 sub channel, the 2nd one is paralleled with the 1st one, just like a Y connection. Also, DLBC, imo is more effective and easier to customize.
Thx. Yes, I meant strictly running Dirac + DLBC on the mac. So, Dirac will adjust my audio coming from the mac.

However if I go that route (dirac on mac, not on the denon), I assume that for the audio going from my tv into the denon, I’ll just have to use audussey for that .

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx. Yes, I meant strictly running Dirac + DLBC on the mac. So, Dirac will adjust my audio coming from the mac.

However if I go that route (dirac on mac, not on the denon), I assume that for the audio going from my tv into the denon, I’ll just have to use audussey for that .
Okay, in that case yes, running DLBC on your Mac will work with the Denon via hdmi for music and videos running from the mac only. Media contents run via your TV and other devices, you will have to use Audyssey

evert

You can do it, just a little more work changing your settings back and forth. For simplicity, use of an ext. amp if the best way. Just grab one of those Fosi Audio V3 amp and you are all set.

Wouldn't it be simpler to add a pure power amplifier, or do I need the volume control?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't it be simpler to add a pure power amplifier, or do I need the volume control?
The Fosi Audio V3's volume control is passive, so you can set it to maximum and use it as a "pure" power amp.

Last edited:

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I've powered the 4800h fronts with my toroidal SR8002.

I've compared the music over the past few hours and when playing Dire Strait's Where Do You Think You're Going? (amazing song) it's not even a match. I even brought my daughter to hear the song since she grew up with it. She was sitting and moving while the 8002 played and was very bored when the Denon played.

I've spent so much time trying to understand and evaluate the sound of the 4800h instead of enjoying it.

And if the 4800h takes such a beating, I can't help but wonder what Denon's been up to over the past 15 years.

I almost wish Denon's engineers can come to my room and fix this.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

If you run Dirac and DLBC on your Mac and connect it to the 4800 via HDMI with Audyssey disabled, it will work, but the 4800 will still manage the sub crossover and level even in pure direct mode. So you may have to do some tweaking to get it all working together.

Thanks for posting the price change on Amazon. I purchased one last week for $385 more. Just chatted with an Amazon rep, and she said the only way to get one at the lower price is to return mine and order it again. So I did. Seems a terribly inefficient waste of resources. They no longer have price match guarantees--even to their own prices. In any case, you just saved me $385, so thanks again.

You may not need Dirac to get good results from your sub. Here is a graph showing my 4700 in pure direct mode vs. one of the Audyssey calibrations I did. Audyssey gets good results. By adjusting sub phase and distance from the wall, I was able to improve upon this. Even though I use Dirac in other areas, I feel no need to use it in this room.

F206 Left Pure Direct vs. Audyssey with 1100 Hz Limit.png

F206 Right Pure Direct vs. Audyssey with 1100 Hz Limit.png

EWL5

If you run Dirac and DLBC on your Mac and connect it to the 4800 via HDMI with Audyssey disabled, it will work, but the 4800 will still manage the sub crossover and level even in pure direct mode. So you may have to do some tweaking to get it all working together.

Thanks for posting the price change on Amazon. I purchased one last week for $385 more. Just chatted with an Amazon rep, and she said the only way to get one at the lower price is to return mine and order it again. So I did. Seems a terribly inefficient waste of resources. They no longer have price match guarantees--even to their own prices. In any case, you just saved me $385, so thanks again.

You may not need Dirac to get good results from your sub. Here is a graph showing my 4700 in pure direct mode vs. one of the Audyssey calibrations I did. Audyssey gets good results. By adjusting sub phase and distance from the wall, I was able to improve upon this. Even though I use Dirac in other areas, I feel no need to use it in this room.

View attachment 319139

View attachment 319140
I would have had the local Best Buy price match the new Amazon price and return the Amazon unit. I earn rewards w/Best Buy! Amazon has no such loyalty program!

rocketroberto

View attachment 319139

View attachment 319140
Glad you saved some $$$ !

Thx for the notes. I’m not familiar with all these graphs but my take is that you’re saying even just with Audyssey, the subwoofer frequencies are reasonably flattened out. (And thus just the Dirac full range license would be adequate, to help smooth out the rest of the curve… with the understanding that Dirac will do a much better job than Audyssey)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon AVR-X4800H was on sale for $1399 at Adorama a few days ago. Maybe it will come back. The 4800 price is dropping. Must be overstock issues. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X4800H-9-4-Ch-Receiver-Built/dp/B0BHX2K5XL

Amazon offers the 4800 for $1645.56 if you apply for Prime Visa at the same time or $1795.56 without the credit card app.

rocketroberto

Now it’s $1700 at Amazon US. I was previously gonna go for it but now I’m looking at my existing 4300h and thinking maybe it’s still fine? (Because I’ve decided I’ll run Dirac on my Mac, for 2.1 music listening. The denon will only be for 3.1 tv/movies, maybe 5.1 eventually. I’m also using an external amp for power).

So I wonder if the 4800 really has anything extra or ‘better’ that I’ll need. Hmmmm

One minor thing: I want to use Audyssey when the tv HDMI input is active . But I want it in pure direct mode when the Mac HDMI input is active. Anybody know if this can be configured in the 4800? (It can’t in the 4300, afaik). But again, that alone isn’t worth $1700 regardless.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just FYI - the 4800h with its current firmware is having Arc issues with intermittent dropouts. These are resolved if you use an optical cable from your TV.

These have been confirmed by other owners who have swapped out units and have the issue with both units.

I'm sure Denon will fix it but if you're relying on ARC, you may have to use an optical cable which might be an issue if you can't easily run another cable to the TV if it's on the wall or fireplace etc.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now it’s $1700 at Amazon US. I was previously gonna go for it but now I’m looking at my existing 4300h and thinking maybe it’s still fine? (Because I’ve decided I’ll run Dirac on my Mac, for 2.1 music listening. The denon will only be for 3.1 tv/movies, maybe 5.1 eventually. I’m also using an external amp for power).

So I wonder if the 4800 really has anything extra or ‘better’ that I’ll need. Hmmmm

One minor thing: I want to use Audyssey when the tv HDMI input is active . But I want it in pure direct mode when the Mac HDMI input is active. Anybody know if this can be configured in the 4800? (It can’t in the 4300, afaik). But again, that alone isn’t worth $1700 regardless.
Sounds to me you are fine. Some of the x4300h has the AK4458 dac and that would be bonus.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I've compared the music over the past few hours and when playing Dire Strait's Where Do You Think You're Going? (amazing song) it's not even a match. I even brought my daughter to hear the song since she grew up with it. She was sitting and moving while the 8002 played and was very bored when the Denon played.
Do the test double blind, both set ups accurately level matched and report back.

Top Bottom