• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 21.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 181 54.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 73 21.8%

• Total voters
Looks like I am buying one of these. My 4700 just went into full protection mode, and Denon support says it will take months to repair it under warranty. I will try to cook up a comparison between XT32 and Dirac once I have it up and running.

Reactions: SCG
Looks like I am buying one of these. My 4700 just went into full protection mode, and Denon support says it will take months to repair it under warranty. I will try to cook up a comparison between XT32 and Dirac once I have it up and running.

Months?

Thanks for your post. I haven't had the $ courage to sign up for Dirac, and am very curious about it (also considering the Audyssey $200 product). Would love a report on the Dirac!

Support did not actually say 'months,' but he did say 'quite a long lead time.'

My 4700 is doing 2 things:
1. Randomly entering Audyssey setup mode with no mic plugged in (and the port verified to be clean and clear), and
2. Randomly going into protection mode where the AVR shuts down and the indicator flashes red indefinitely.

Neither of these things are tied to how long it has been on, how loudly it is playing, or anything else. Truly random events.

What version of Audyssey do I need to change target curves? If getting the mobile app for IOS and Android, is it easier to use an iPad compared to a phone? I don't mind spending $20 but $200 seems a bit high when you can get DIRAC for a little bit more.

Trying to decide to go with x4800, or if the x3800 is just fine for my situation and I can put that saved 1k to another day on a heli skip trip...or 2 rounds at pebble beach..or...hahh... I'm going to be using external amps for a 2 zone system (a 3.1 zone for tv/movies, and a 2.1 for music. I'll be playing music from a MacMini and so I can have that run Dirac for at least the music listening). I have a pair of KEF R7s for the music.

While the x3800h didn't have a strong review, would it be fine for my situation given the usage of external amplification? I can't quite make heads or tails of these testing graphs. Put another way, did the x3800h test fine when using external amps, and primarily fell short when using it's internal amps?

If the x3800h doesn't quite cut it, I'll go for the x4800. (I was looking at an Anthem MRX740 but it sounds like it's just too flaky overall. Should I put that out of my mind once and for all? ;-) )

thx for any ideas!

Trying to decide to go with x4800, or if the x3800 is just fine for my situation and I can put that saved 1k to another day on a heli skip trip...or 2 rounds at pebble beach..or...hahh... I'm going to be using external amps for a 2 zone system (a 3.1 zone for tv/movies, and a 2.1 for music. I'll be playing music from a MacMini and so I can have that run Dirac for at least the music listening). I have a pair of KEF R7s for the music.

While the x3800h didn't have a strong review, would it be fine for my situation given the usage of external amplification? I can't quite make heads or tails of these testing graphs. Put another way, did the x3800h test fine when using external amps, and primarily fell short when using it's internal amps?

If the x3800h doesn't quite cut it, I'll go for the x4800. (I was looking at an Anthem MRX740 but it sounds like it's just too flaky overall. Should I put that out of my mind once and for all? ;-) )

thx for any ideas!
I prefer the 4800, will pay $300 more for it, but for $1000 more, the 3800 will win, use the money saved for the Dirac Live licences.

What version of Audyssey do I need to change target curves? If getting the mobile app for IOS and Android, is it easier to use an iPad compared to a phone? I don't mind spending $20 but $200 seems a bit high when you can get DIRAC for a little bit more.
The $20 App is good, but hard to customize the target curve by drawing it with fingers. Use Rabuddyssey instead, I posted links many times before.

I prefer the 4800, will pay $300 more for it, but for $1000 more, the 3800 will win, use the money saved for the Dirac Live licences.

This is an interesting review of the 4800H vs the 3800H talking about the change in boards and adding discrete channel amplification (like my Marantz which is impressive).
The 4800H has AL32 processing and a Clock Jitter Reducer. It also offers Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit which higher models also offer.

I personally own both, X4800H in my bedroom setup and X3800H in my living room setup. To my ears, they sound identical. Get the cheapest one and save the money for the Dirac license.

This is an interesting review of the 4800H vs the 3800H talking about the change in boards and adding discrete channel amplification (like my Marantz which is impressive).
The 4800H has AL32 processing and a Clock Jitter Reducer. It also offers Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit which higher models also offer.

Yes, points I would have clearly made known to you as a way of differentiating the "superior" product and upselling you to the 4800 (had I still been working for Magnolia HT).
You have to be well versed in HDAM, jitter reduction, etc. to be able to move product and extract nearly $1k more from the customer (at least in the States).

Yes, points I would have clearly made known to you as a way of differentiating the "superior" product and upselling you to the 4800 (had I still been working for Magnolia HT).
You have to be well versed in HDAM, jitter reduction, etc. to be able to move product and extract nearly $1k more from the customer (at least in the States).

Well, I'm getting the Denon today. I'm very excited and curious to see how Denon has progressed. I can't speak about the 3800h but if it matches the SR8002 in musicality, I'll be doing cartwheels.

Well, I'm getting the Denon today. I'm very excited and curious to see how Denon has progressed. I can't speak about the 3800h but if it matches the SR8002 in musicality, I'll be doing cartwheels.
Just keep an open mind, try to forget all marketing info, play your favorite tracks and use direct mode first. And, keep your expectation low.

$1,399 X4800 arrived today :)

Attachments

• X4800.jpg
    X4800.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 95
Hi people,

I have question about how amplifiers works.
It's said that the X4800H has a shared power source for all the output channels, but I found a teardown of the unit on a japanese website, and it translates to "The AVR-X4800H is the same independent amplifier board for each channel as the AVC-X6700H and AVC-X8500HA", picture below.

4800H3.jpg

This is the teardown website:

If the power source is shared, what are the separate amplifier boards?

Not an expert, have only built a few old amps. I think it means that they share the same electrical power source which is generally of the topology: incoming power cord, fuse, huge transformer, rectifier, filter capacitors, DC power bus. This is the source of clean DC power. Each individual board is powered by that shared bus, but amplifies a separate audio channel. I believe that below is the power supply board for an A1H. The X4800H has filter caps that are 1/2 the capacitance.

1674257184139-png.3391217

Got mine, set it up - what is the best way to set it up for music?

I haven't run audyssey so everything is ootb pure direct and stereo.

There's a 2 channel playback setup section which is great. It has the option to set the fronts to small and large giving you the option to make them small for movies but large for music. I set my towers to Large for both..

For the Subwoofer, it's a bit confusing because there's a LFE + Main which has the following description:

The subwoofer outputs receive the LFE track, plus redirected bass, and a copy of the low frequency signals from all large speakers.

I understand the LFE and redirected bass (essentially frequencies under crossovers).

What does a copy of the low frequency signals from all large speakers mean? I set the crossover to 40hz, does that mean the fronts play frequencies to 40hz and the sub plays frequencies under 40hz? I guess that's the only explanation but it's a bit superfluous.

Also the crossovers drop by increments of 20hz which is not ideal for towers as 40 and 60 are a bit different speakers... I would have preferred 50hz.

Back
Top Bottom