• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

You may want to know EverSolo DMP-A6 users are reporting Apple Music is buggy. They also indicate, "lossless is unavailable right now, only AAC is what Apple gives." If you buy the unit make sure you have a great return policy. Sound will likely be worse than a Wiim mini with a quality external DAC.
Wow. Really leaning away now...! Can you suggest where to follow this? Wasn't sure if was this forum somewhere?

I do. This is my 2 channel result using Audyssey DRC in my 4700. I wish the SBIR dip was better, but it is FAR better with DRC than in pure direct mode.

View attachment 324532

Thank you for sharing!

A quick question on DRC - I'd always saw this divide people for movies, and have always left it off. Is it farily well accepted then as a good thing to activate for music? This curve indeed looks impressive.

From memory there were some db offset options for DRC regarding when it kicks in. Which offset do you use if any? Thanks!

Thank you for sharing!

A quick question on DRC - I'd always saw this divide people for movies, and have always left it off. Is it farily well accepted then as a good thing to activate for music? This curve indeed looks impressive.

From memory there were some db offset options for DRC regarding when it kicks in. Which offset do you use if any? Thanks!

I don't know why anyone would ever want to listen to pure direct over DRC unless they have perfect placement in a perfect room with perfect treatment...

F206 Left Pure Direct vs. Audyssey with 1100 Hz Limit.png

F206 Right Pure Direct vs. Audyssey with 1100 Hz Limit.png

If anyone's interested I’ve now Frankensteined a partial alternative to the Eversolo, using an old fire tablet, Home Assistant, and the kiosk app .

It displays album art of whatever is playing on the Apple TV, and has buttons which trigger playlists on the Apple TV (levarging homekit). Since it's integrated with our home automation setup the screen goes on and off according to motion in the room & TV power state, and when you click to trigger a playlist it also triggers the Denon on (via a REST API command).

You may be wondering why not just use the TV screen, but I find having a 65" display showing album art is a bit overwhelming for the room. Personally prefer having it glanceable on a small screen + the playlist buttons are proving a hit with the family :)

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

Wow. Really leaning away now...! Can you suggest where to follow this? Wasn't sure if was this forum somewhere?

I was reading the comments by A6 owners under this video review. Didn't think much of the review but a lot of owners posted underneath it which I found interesting.

If anyone's interested I’ve now Frankensteined a partial alternative to the Eversolo, using an old fire tablet, Home Assistant, and the kiosk app .

Congrats, you've packaged a really neet monster there. I've been thinking of doing the same here. I just need to get another long HDMI cable to bring the video back to my seating area.. My old eyes can't read the text even on my 85" Samsung from back there.
BTW, I see your very new here, welcome to the ASR science based audio community!
Sal

Congrats, you've packaged a really neet monster there. I've been thinking of doing the same here. I just need to get another long HDMI cable to bring the video back to my seating area.. My old eyes can't read the text even on my 85" Samsung from back there.
BTW, I see your very new here, welcome to the ASR science based audio community!
Sal

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think this forum has already saved me £700!

By the way, I did some listening with the volume turned right up with ATV as source, and it sounded fantastic. I now realise I was that what I thought might be 48kHz re sampling was simply listening at low volumes.

And to finally point out the Frankenstein solution above doesn’t require an HDMI cable. It’s all just over WiFi so the tablet could be put anywhere it can be powered. Happy to share the home assistant scripts / method should you ever want to explore the same - just ping me.

I was reading the comments by A6 owners under this video review. Didn't think much of the review but a lot of owners posted underneath it which I found interesting.

My friend bought the Gold and it is nice.
How the hell did they forget the trigger for this device.

I think we can hack together a USB to trigger cable...again.

- Rich

I use these cheap little guys to power on devices lacking a trigger, like my 5 classic Adcom power amps
Just a thought.

My friend bought the Gold and it is nice.

I think we can hack together a USB to trigger cable...again.

- Rich

The A6 does not turn off in software either. You have to manually switch it off. The software says it turns it off but if you put a Kill-a-watt on it you can verify only flipping the power switch turns the A6 off.

I use these cheap little guys to power on devices lacking a trigger, like my 5 classic Adcom power amps
Just a thought.
Does the always on outlet control the green +/- or is it the other way round?

ideally, the green could be the trigger.

- Rich

Does the always on outlet control the green +/- or is it the other way round?

ideally, the green could be the trigger.

- Rich
The trigger cable is connected to that green block on the side. When it detects almost any voltage AC or DC there
the it supplys the 3 AC outlet options. One is just an extra always ON outlet. One is ON with no detection voltage, and shuts
OFF with detection. The opposite of what we want.
The other 2 are OFF with no detection voltage and ON when it gets voltage from your trigger.
Very flexible design for many uses.
I've run 2 to trigger ON my 5 amps and one or two other things and they've been 100% reliable for a number of years now.

The trigger cable is connected to that green block on the side. When it detects almost any voltage AC or DC there
the it supplys the 3 AC outlet options. One is just an extra always ON outlet. One is ON with no detection voltage, and shuts
OFF with detection. The opposite of what we want.
The other 2 are OFF with no detection voltage and ON when it gets voltage from your trigger.
Very flexible design for many uses.
I've run 2 to trigger ON my 5 amps and one or two other things and they've been 100% reliable for a number of years now.
It looks good. I prefer to use to use a trigger out for the amp, but it will do the job.

- Rich

How much power output on 5 channels would be for this amplifier? Has it been tested?

How much power output on 5 channels would be for this amplifier? Has it been tested?
With all 5 channels running simultaneously expect approx. 75% of the 125W per channel specification to be available or 94W for each of the 5 channels. In real life situations, you should have all the power you need for most applications with reasonable volume levels.

With all 5 channels running simultaneously expect approx. 75% of the 125W per channel specification to be available or 94W for each of the 5 channels. In real life situations, you should have all the power you need for most applications with reasonable volume levels.
And could we consider that since the chances of all channels running at full power at the same time are remote, the full 125 should be available all the time? Also, do newer amp power supplies have much dynamic headroom available?

Ho già un amplificatore stereo per i canali anteriori con cui ascolto musica da un dac collegato a un pc con delle b&w 683 (vorrei prendere la nuova serie 7)stavo valutando di prendere un amlificatore finale per il centrale soprattutto per quando guardo i concerti ma avendo un sistema 9.1 e togliendo già i canali frontali ne vale la pena?
Avrei trovato un primare a 30.3 1200 wat x3 a cui collegherei anche i canali posteriori.

If this was ever a concern, the addition of a single stereo power amp, used for the front L & R channels, would
then free the power supply to take over for the other 3. This would be a situation where the full 125 would be available
at all times, if not more.

Back
Top Bottom