• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Thank you, but I can say much more than what I did in the other thread:

Actually, I would add that I think the OP's speculation seems reasonable, that's probably how it is done, as I doubt the newer D+M AVRs would include analog circuity to do bass management specifically for direct/pure direct mode. We likely can only know the specifics if and when D, or M starts selling service manuals again, that practice seems to have stopped since around 2018/19?? Or if people who have direct contacts to their engineering, such as Amir and Gene, the rest of us cannot get pass their first line customer support team, who typically don't have the knowledge of (or access) to such level of technical information.

There are other features that also operate in "Pure Direct" mode, double-bass and bi-amp without published implementation.
I suspect, that these are all accomplished with digitization and DSP processing.

I am not saying that is not necessarily bad, it may no longer an all analog path.

- Rich

There are other features that also operate in "Pure Direct" mode, double-bass and bi-amp without published implementation.
I suspect, that these are all accomplished with digitization and DSP processing.

I am not saying that is not necessarily bad, it may no longer an all analog path.

- Rich

Of course, but I really think @marktrumpet 's guess is likely correct, at least in the ball park.

It is easy to do so surely D+M would at least preserve the analog path for the left/right channels. It doesn't save them work, and/or parts by switching the signal back to the ADC just because the sub, double bass, biamp etc., are used. We'll never know for sure.

I recently got one of these AVR's and I'm running into the same issue as you with Spotify.

Through HEOS/Spotify connect I get terrible distortion, especially on certain songs. The same songs played through Chromecast on my Shield sound just fine.

I also noticed that this only seems to happen when Audyssey is enabled. At least it gets worse. Have you tried disabling it?

To me this seems like an annoying software bug. Big shame, because I like how Spotify connect works with this AVR otherwise. I'm gonna register with Tidal and see if the same happens with that.
Found out that Restorer is set per input on Denon AVR's. It's on Low by default for HEOS.
To turn it off for HEOS, you first have to select HEOS as your input source, then turn Restorer off.
Restorer may be causing the issue we're encountering with Spotify.

This item can be set with analog signals or PCM signal (Sample Rate = 44.1/48 kHz) is input.
This item default setting for “HEOS Music” is “Low”. All others are set to “Off”.
This cannot be set when the sound mode is set to “Direct” or “Pure Direct”.
“Restorer” settings are stored for each input source.

Source: https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6700H/NA/EN/GFNFSYqdawoiqw.php

Setup the SPK618 HDMI adapter today, Xbox Series X to adapter to Denon x4700h to LG OLED working fine at 4k @ 120 hz with VRR enabled. Just have the VRR setting enabled haven't actually played a game that uses VRR yet thou.
I know it's been a while, but could you provide us with an update on whether 4k with VRR actually works in-game?

Yes, it works, opened ori and the will of the wisps. Game prompted me that 120fps/4k mode was supported when I opened it. In the tv settings once game was open it showed 119 fps and vrr on.

I heard a really loud, sharp "pop" during an action scene while watching a movie last night with my 4700. My wife had asked me to turn the sound up so as to be able to understand the dialog. I turned it higher than I think I ever did before and there was a single "POP" on the right side. I couldn't tell if it was from the right front or the right surround speaker.

After immediately turning down the volume, the movie seemed to sound okay. The front speakers are powered by a separate Krell power amp, so I sure hope it didn't clip. The surround speakers are powered by the 4700. My understanding of "clipping" was that it would be a series of pops, not a single one, but I don't have any prior experience with it.

Any ideas what would cause a single loud pop like that to occur? I did have to replace the tweeter one time on those surround speakers.

Any ideas what would cause a single loud pop like that to occur? I did have to replace the tweeter one time on those surround speakers.
The voice coil on the woofer might have bottomed out and made that kind of sound.
If the speaker sounds OK when playing some fairly loud bass heavy music it probably didn't cause any damage.

The voice coil on the woofer might have bottomed out and made that kind of sound.
If the speaker sounds OK when playing some fairly loud bass heavy music it probably didn't cause any damage.
Thanks. I'm not sure if it was the front right speaker or the surround right speaker that made that pop sound. I kind of thought it came from behind, but I'm not sure. I'd have to move that surround speaker to the front to play some regular music through it.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it was the front right speaker or the surround right speaker that made that pop sound. I kind of thought it came from behind, but I'm not sure. I'd have to move that surround speaker to the front to play some regular music through it.

What I would do is run an Audyssey session on the 4700. It will play white noise through each speaker one at a time. If you have the volume at a decent level you will know right away if one of the speakers has been damaged as the white noise will sound different on it. This method is easy and doesn't require changing your current speaker configuration.

Update on the 4700 I bought in October 2020...

1. About 4 weeks ago, it started randomly emitting loud popping sounds, then switching to Audyssey setup. Several sources claim this is due to debris in the mic port, which switches calibration on. Other sources claim it is a firmware issue. I tried vacuuming the mic port with a shop vac, blowing it out with canned air, plugging and unplugging the mic several times, performing a reset, and restoring the original factory firmware. None of this had any impact. Many hours wasted.

2. Last week, the AVR started randomly going into protection mode. Sometimes it would work for an hour or two, and sometimes it would go directly into protection. Eventually, it would not turn on at all. I was traveling for work and could not stop the family from using it, so they used it until it was well and truly dead. When I got home, I thought there might be something wrong with a speaker or wiring and disconnected them all and measured nominal resistance of each speaker with its wiring at the banana plugs. All measured > 4.5 Ohms. (These are all easy-to-drive Polk in-wall and in-ceiling speakers plus a Revel C25 center.) With everything unplugged, the unit still will not turn on; the indicator LED just blinks red.

I called Denon Support and found out I had 6 days (!) left on my warranty, and they issued a shipping carton and label to send it to a service center. The agent did not say how long it would take to have it repaired, but he did say, "...quite a long lead time..." This prompted me to buy a new 4800 to have something to use. I found one on sale from an authorized reseller and ordered it. It actually just showed up at my door a few minutes ago. The 4700 will probably end up in the living room when I get it back, assuming it works correctly after repair.

This is all very unfortunate, because I have had Sony and Yamaha AVRs last more than 20 years. Indeed, I purchased a Sony ES model in 2001 and gave it to my son in 2018, where it is still in use. He is also using another Sony I bought in 2008. The living room AVR is a Yamaha from 2003. So far, my record for a Denon is only 3 years. Hopefully the 4800 fares better.

Last edited:
Update on the 4700 I bought in October 2020...

1. About 4 weeks ago, it started randomly emitting loud popping sounds, then switching to Audyssey setup. Several sources claim this is due to debris in the mic port, which switches calibration on. Other sources claim it is a firmware issue. I tried vacuuming the mic port with a shop vac, blowing it out with canned air, plugging and unplugging the mic several times, performing a reset, and restoring the original factory firmware. None of this had any impact. Many hours wasted.

2. Last week, the AVR started randomly going into protection mode. Sometimes it would work for an hour or two, and sometimes it would go directly into protection. Eventually, it would not turn on at all. I was traveling for work and could not stop the family from using it, so they used it until it was well and truly dead. When I got home, I thought there might be something wrong with a speaker or wiring and disconnected them all and measured nominal resistance of each speaker and its wiring. All measured > 4.5 Ohms. (These are all easy-to-drive Polk in-wall and in-ceiling speakers plus a Revel C25 center.) With everything unplugged, the unit still will not turn on; the indicator LED just blinks red.

I called Denon Support and found out I had 6 days (!) left on my warranty, and they issued a shipping carton and label to send it to a service center. The agent did not say how long it would take to have it repaired, but he did say, "...quite a long lead time..." This prompted me to buy a new 4800 to have something to use. I found one on sale from an authorized reseller and ordered it. It actually just showed up at my door a few minutes ago. The 4700 will probably end up in the living room when I get it back, assuming it works correctly after repair.

This is all very unfortunate, because I have had Sony and Yamaha AVRs last more than 20 years. Indeed, I purchased a Sony ES model in 2001 and gave it to my son in 2018, where it is still in use. The living room AVR is a Yamaha from 2003. So far, my record for a Denon is only 3 years. Hopefully the 4800 fares better.

I had a similar experience with a Denon 4500 that failed after 90 days. I sent it to PANURGYOEM as per Denon's instructions. They took 3 months to repair and send it back. When it arrived it had new scratches all over and the front plate was bent and would not close. I was required to send them pictures and ship it back to them again. Three weeks later, they wrote me that it could not be repaired and told me I needed to contact Denon for a replacement. I called Denon, waited on the phone for an hour for a person. Denon said they would send a replacement and it arrived 4 weeks later.

The failure rate on my Denon AVR purchase was pretty bad. But what was worse was how they really didn't care how long I would be without an AVR. I believe they do this intentionally so the owner buys another AVR. The durability and service of Denon units is not what I hoped. Since they were bought by MASI its stock has dropped by more than 50% this year and it's one of the best shorts on the US Stock exchange. It's possible MASI may not exist within 2 years. That might permanently solve the issue for consumers. :D

This is all very unfortunate, because I have had Sony and Yamaha AVRs last more than 20 years. Indeed, I purchased a Sony ES model in 2001 and gave it to my son in 2018, where it is still in use.
It's all a roll of the dice. My 55" Sony lasted 6 years here and is still running fine for the guy
I gave it to. OTOH my $4500 75" Sony blew up at 7 months, it was replaced by a reburb that
was never right, I never could get satisfaction from Sony service, and then it blew up at around the 3 year mark.
Without going further back in my Sony history it's always been hit or miss with them.
I've just gotten a 85" Samsung to replace it and the picture quality is amazing.
Hope it gives me better service than my Sonys.

The failure rate on my Denon AVR purchase was pretty bad. But what was worse was how they really didn't care how long I would be without an AVR. I believe they do this intentionally so the owner buys another AVR.
IMV that's a rather unwise strategy. Chances are high the user buys a different brand. I would.

IMV that's a rather unwise strategy. Chances are high the user buys a different brand. I would.

If you look at Steve Dallas's post #1,005 you see he purchased a Denon 4800 when he found out his 4700 repair wait would be significant. My situation was the same. I bought a 4700 when my 4500 failed as I was told it could be 60 days for repair. At the time of the initial failure I thought Denon may still be a good brand and I just had an unusual situation. But once I dealt with PANURGYOEM to the conclusion and Denon slow walked the replacement I knew it would take a lot for me to buy another Denon AVR. They are simply too fragile and warranty service is horrible since they stopped allowing local shops to complete repairs.

Sadly high end sound bars and solutions like Sonos have eaten into the integrated receiver market so I'm sure sales volume is down from 10-20 years ago. That contraction has likely contributed to Hi-Fi store closures and brand consolidations. Maybe there has been an attempt to maximize profits by the receiver makers and the quality assurance isn't as high? In 2020 I bought a certified refurbished Marantz receiver that had problems out of the box, and sent it back for a full refund. Later bought a Denon 3700, worked fine for a bit over a year, the amp malfunctioned, and I had it repaired under warranty (took a few weeks to ship, wait, and receive the repaired unit). It's been fine since.

If you look at Steve Dallas's post #1,005 you see he purchased a Denon 4800 when he found out his 4700 repair wait would be significant. My situation was the same. I bought a 4700 when my 4500 failed as I was told it could be 60 days for repair. At the time of the initial failure I thought Denon may still be a good brand and I just had an unusual situation. But once I dealt with PANURGYOEM to the conclusion and Denon slow walked the replacement I knew it would take a lot for me to buy another Denon AVR. They are simply too fragile and warranty service is horrible since they stopped allowing local shops to complete repairs.

I agree that it would be a poor strategy. This 4800 is the last Denon / Marantz anything I will ever buy, and I will stop recommending them. UNLESS the 4700 repair experience turns out to be a good one, I get >10 years of life out of the repaired 4700, and the 4800 is trouble-free for >10 years. The bar is high.

They have about 15 service centers in the US now, and you can choose the one you want to use. I am sending mine to Austin. Hopefully that turns out to be a good decision. Like you, I have generally had bad luck with warranty service--often receiving my once cosmetically pristine product back in poor condition with difficult remediation. My 4700 will have its own little photo shoot before it goes in the box.

BTW, the 4800 performs exactly the same as the 4700, but the new menu system is easier to use, and selectively turning amps off is much more straightforward. Unfortunately, my 4700 Audyssey profiles I have stored in MultiEQ are not compatible with the 4800 and cannot be sent to it, so I have to do all the Ratbuddy work again.

Hi all,

Happy 4700 owner here.

I'm planning on getting a streamer DAC (specifically the eversolo DMP-A6).

I am unsure whether I should be better of connecting the streamer DAC to the 4700 via digital (and using therefore using the 4700 DAC), or taking advantage of the reportedly quite nice DAC in the eversolo (Dual Sabre ES9038Q2Ms, one for each channel), and connecting by analogue RCA to the 4700.

My limited understanding suggests a digital connection may be best because a) The DAC in the 4700 is actually quite good and b) Analogue inputs are not always implemented particularly well, and so may be best avoided. And since this is an AVR, I am unsure if the analogue inputs would be any good or not?

I've read the review but I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand where the answer may lie amongst all the measurements.

Any insights / advice would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom