• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 209 47.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was researching processors a while back and ARCG was released in beta… I was very surprised that I could not find a single verification measurement. Contrast that with literally hundreds of instances where you can find for Dirac and Audyssey. Nice to see some actually measurements and follow along.

If you visit AVF and AVSF you will find that owners of Anthem AVRs and AVMs are very loyal, some probably have not used anything else, or may have tried just once or twice other makes than Anthem's. Unlike a lot of D+M owners who like to praise too but often complained, most Anthem owners seem to really trust whatever they read from Anthem's website and other publications, lol.., I am exaggerating obviously.:)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you visit AVF and AVSF you will find that owners of Anthem AVRs and AVMs are very loyal, some probably have not used anything else, or may have tried just once or twice other makes than Anthem's. Unlike a lot of D+M owners who like to praise too but often complained, most Anthem owners seem to really trust whatever they read from Anthem's website and other publications, lol.., I am exaggerating obviously.:)
The AVS owners thread for the 70/90 was one of the main places I tried to find out how ARCG compared to Dirac/Audyssey. I expected someone at some point would have done post correction measurements but never could find any.
It is interesting how owners threads from various brands take on a life of their own and people get very attached to a brand or processor. Pretty much every owners threat seems to be like that almost regardless of brand, but some are worse that others. For example when reading the Trinnov owners thread at AVS… the claims seem to be a bit over the top in regards to night/day difference vs any other room correction. Someday some blind testing of well set up configurations would be fun and enlightening I think.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVS owners thread for the 70/90 was one of the main places I tried to find out how ARCG compared to Dirac/Audyssey. I expected someone at some point would have done post correction measurements but never could find any.
It is interesting how owners threads from various brands take on a life of their own and people get very attached to a brand or processor. Pretty much every owners threat seems to be like that almost regardless of brand, but some are worse that others. For example when reading the Trinnov owners thread at AVS… the claims seem to be a bit over the top in regards to night/day difference vs any other room correction. Someday some blind testing of well set up configurations would be fun and enlightening I think.

They all seem to trust the predicted response. If and when they take their own measurements, some of them may get surprises.

I don't know about Trinnov, but really like Dirac so far, just not sure if the AVP version is better than the PC version.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I carefully watched the AVM70 launch, being in market at the time for that kind of product, and I was treated to what I’d best describe as a clown fiesta. Thank you, but I’ll pass.
:D "clown fiesta" that is hilarious. Do tell more please! Especially since we have an AVM70 now...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People say [better results with ARC than Audyssey] but I haven't seen them post supporting objective measurements. We do see lots of REW measurements for Dirac and Audyssey but hardly any from ARCG users. I seem to be among the few who posted such graphs.:)
Because it is time consuming. Oh maybe not THAT time consuming but when we swapped our Denon AVR-X3600H to the AVM 70 (+ ATI 525NC) that was already somewhat time consuming, especially as Anthem's setup was a bit of a pain in the @ss. OK a tiny pain, but why the heck do I need to make a Google Home account to set up the WiFi, when it's built-in to a Denon? Etc. In the end we just listened to more music which is the point anyway. Both Audyssey XT32 (using the App to turn off the midrange dip and adding a broad 1 dB peak like 1-4 kHz) and ARC Genesis sound great and a bass sweep is audibly flattened.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it is time consuming. Oh maybe not THAT time consuming but when we swapped our Denon AVR-X3600H to the AVM 70 (+ ATI 525NC) that was already somewhat time consuming, especially as Anthem's setup was a bit of a pain in the @ss. OK a tiny pain, but why the heck do I need to make a Google Home account to set up the WiFi, when it's built-in to a Denon? Etc. In the end we just listened to more music which is the point anyway. Both Audyssey XT32 (using the App to turn off the midrange dip and adding a broad 1 dB peak like 1-4 kHz) and ARC Genesis sound great and a bass sweep is audibly flattened.

I think the AVM70 had a few bugs in the beginning, one being you have to setup wifi with Google Home (not 100% sure), but that one has been fixed so you don't need to go through Google Home anymore. My feeling about ARCG is that people may be subjected to Placebo effects and expectation bias when they thought everything sounded great after even their first run when the potential is there for it to be actually better if they spent the time to take some measurements and then experiment a little with the reasonable amount of adjustability that the UI provides. I find it not as tweakable as the Audyssey app and Dirac Live but like most things, there are pros and cons in that too.

Fidji

You're correct that I had never seen that idea. On the other hand, a speaker correction system should first flatten the on-axis direct sound, then secondarily the total sound power. Heh, I guess I just described a limitation of correction systems, ow!
That is what Trinnov is doing, actually. distingushing between direct and reflected sound.

awinn002

Read most of this thread over the course of a week, but still confused as a non technical person who enjoys home theater and 4 channel stereo listening through my home theater system every now and then. Do these lower SINAD scores affect sound quality in DIRAC mode? Only if using the internal amps? I couldn't find a clear answer in the 80 pages of this thread. I run all outboard amps and was looking to upgrade to the 3800 and turn off the internal amps for the supposedly cleaner signal/better sonic performance of this feature.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Read most of this thread over the course of a week, but still confused as a non technical person who enjoys home theater and 4 channel stereo listening through my home theater system every now and then. Do these lower SINAD scores affect sound quality in DIRAC mode? Only if using the internal amps? I couldn't find a clear answer in the 80 pages of this thread. I run all outboard amps and was looking to upgrade to the 3800 and turn off the internal amps for the supposedly cleaner signal/better sonic performance of this feature.

SINAD ... threshold of audibility is circa 60db ... anything with SINAD over 70db is not going to have any SINAD issues

Dirac is a completely seperate issue - to do with Room and Speaker EQ.

Denon & Marantz purchased exclusive licencing to Audyssey Room/SpeakerEQ about 10 years ago - which is why after 2014, you don't find Audyssey in any non D&M components. - Dirac and Audyssey do much the same thing - however Audyssey basically stopped development after selling to D&M, whereas Dirac has been continuing its development and improvement - the end result is that Dirac tends to be better (note "tends" - in many many cases, there is little to differentiate between them!).

However D&M clearly felt threatened by the growing reputation of Dirac - enough so, to provide a future Dirac upgrade option...
With the optional apps for Audyssey, and some time and effort, an Audyssey based setup should be just as good as a Dirac one. (Dirac is probably easier to get optimal results with)

Internal vs external amps - the X3800 doesn't "turn off" the internal amps - but if there is no load on them, then there is better stability of the power supply, and that results in a better/stronger signal on the preamp outputs - specifically, it can drive beyond 3.5V in that case without increased distortion, whereas when running speakers with the internal amps, the output can be limited to around 1.4V (before distortion kicks in).

Is this a problem - well that depends on your external amps!!! - My external amps produce max rated power at a 1.4V input level.... so for such amps, it would not matter whether the internal amps are in use or not!

If your external amps require a higher voltage input (low gain amps have become a bit of a thing in some Class D designs) - then this might be an issue - it is worth checking what the amps input requirements are!

Best case in terms of sound and value for money (IMO) is to use the internal amps for surround/height and external amsp for the heavy lifting of the front L/C/R - make sure the external amps can work with a max (continuous/rms) level of 1.4V - and that way you get the best of both worlds.

This, of course, assumes that there is something to be gained from external amps - which is NOT universally true - if your speakers are high efficiency 8 ohm speakers - you are unlikely to get any benefit from external amps - it is only where they are low efficiency and/or low impedance, that the capabilities of the internal amps are placed under sufficient stress, that the sound is impacted, and external amps can provide a performance gain.

My speakers are relatively low efficiency (86db/wm) and also low impedance (4 ohm nominal, but with drops down to 1.6ohm) - most AVR's don't do well with them as a result.... external amps are the best solution. (but I still use the internal amps for surround)

If you already have all outboard amps, then all of this is red herring central - unless your amps require more than 3.5V for max rated power.

What are the amps? what are their ratings?

awinn002

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm using the monoprice 8250x with 4 deftech bp9060s for L/R and surrounds and a cs9060 for center. These are fairly efficient 8ohm speakers at 92db and 91db, but looking to upgrade to better speakers right now and a dedicated sub. This is why I bought the external amp, knowing my next set of speakers probably wouldn't be as efficient and giving me the room to upgrade as I see fit, not limited by my denon 4300h. Hoping to take advantage of some of the holiday sales taking place. Center speaker first!

My space is a fairly large open basement, with the theater space taking up 18ft x 30ft, but open to a much larger area, approximately 1500sq ft total. Can you recommend a good set of speakers around 5k all in? I'd like to upgrade the center first and then work on the L/R and surrounds if they're not all on sale. I do like how my def techs provide localized bass sound my Left or Right surrounds, but hoping dedicated subs will just give base "everywhere". Plus the def tech speakers kinda sound "blah" compared to some of the speakers I've heard in best buy. I'm over the "subs in a tower" thing. :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not having shopped for speakers recently - I will leave that to others!

Keep an eye out for Dirac SRC - probably being released in January - it may make Full Range speakers all around a desirable option - as it may take full advantage of such capabilities... - that could result in changes to how HT's are set up.

NoCoYeti

New Denon receiver related question for you brainiacs. :)

I am thinking about adding additional side surrounds for my back row due to the current placement of my side surrounds which can't be moved. The people in the back row are missing out on some of the action. Yes, I have bipoles but the sound doesn't come directly from the side for the back row it kinda blends in with the front.

I know I can split the signal coming off the pre-out and run it to an external amp but.... Ready for the stupid question?

Could I use both the pre-out (with external amp) and speaker terminals to run two sets of side surrounds?

Thanks

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New Denon receiver related question for you brainiacs. :)

I am thinking about adding additional side surrounds for my back row due to the current placement of my side surrounds which can't be moved. The people in the back row are missing out on some of the action. Yes, I have bipoles but the sound doesn't come directly from the side for the back row it kinda blends in with the front.

I know I can split the signal coming off the pre-out and run it to an external amp but.... Ready for the stupid question?

Could I use both the pre-out (with external amp) and speaker terminals to run two sets of side surrounds?

Thanks

No idea if that will work, but it sounds like you may be trying to solve a different problem, potentially related to speaker layout, selection, or room modes. I recommend running Audyssey to EQ to your room and also enable Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. These should boost the output to the surround channels and make them more noticeable.

If you want maximum channels with the 3800, I would recommend running the 11-channel configuration with discrete SR/SL/SBR/SBL channels. The SBR/SBL channels in particular may help the back row. Of course, you will need a separate 2-channel amp to drive those, but it does not need to be big.

FYI, Dolby does not recommend dipoles for Atmos, or pretty much any discrete multi-channel system since the Pro Logic days.

rob755

Forum Donor
Uh the 3800 sells for 1700? I think that's overpriced already when lx505 go for 1000 but 2700 would be ridiculous
May I ask where do you see the LX05 for a grand? Thanks!

Top Bottom