• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 208 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed the info I posted is from the latest Masimo training video, and indeed they did state that more in depth 4-sub info would be in the A1H video (hence why I reserved any speculation about how it will actually work). I have not seen the A1H training video published on YouTube as of yet.

I think you are right, there isn't a link to that video, I must have been thinking about the post below:

and was confused by the opening remark on that post:

"Member broncogr on avsforum.com posted a bunch of tech slides, source is todays AVC-A1H webinar, see here:"

Still that means the video is out there somewhere, probably broncogr would know about it, but he never did post the link to the "source" webinar video.
May be one of our European member can find it for us.

Music707

Your screenshots appear to be from the D+M product manager's (has a German name) Maximo webinar video on the models below the A1H. That same gentleman presented on the A1H and he's supposed to talk more about the 4 subwoofer calibration feature. I think I have watched that one but cannot find it any more on ASR using the search function.

It's the same product manager who presented one on the AV10/AMP 10. Those webinar video typically provide more info than those Youtubers who typically don't add any more info than what's on the D+M websites. Unfortunately those D+M product manager's webinar type videos are very hard to find by search engines including Google. Google seems to be swamped by independent Youtubers who simply regurgitate each other's, adding nothing new to what's on D+M websites already.

If anyone know where the link to such D+M video on the A1H is on ASR, or elsewhere, please post it again on this thread or the A1H thread, it will be appreciated. Again, if I remember right, that product manager said he would have more info on the 4 subwoofer calibration.

You might take an occasional look into the youtube channel "Masimo Consumer Training". With a little luck more info about the A1H might show up there.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Another 3800H onwer here! I have 2 questions:

Why the menu options doesn't appears in the TV? I only see it in dimmer.

why Audyssey appears in grey and I can't configure it?
Depends on tv. I have x3600h... From my lg tv, I select another source and look for the denon avr tab or something. It won't appear if you are just in the smart tv content screen. If you have game or bluray or other device connected to the avr, you can also select them from your TV remote and u will then be able to screen the avr menu on your tv..

As others have said, Audyssey is not on when u are in Direct sound mode. Change sound mode to stereo or surround to see audyssey menu.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Must. Not. Hit. Refresh. Again.
:p LOL!

I just did the same thing!

I communicated with @amirm earlier this week, I think we're near the top of the Queue, but I did not ask when specifically. I am guessing like you and everyone else.

Jaconias

Guys, could someone answer me please?does the denon 3800 pre amp mode, does the disconnection of the receiver amplifier work in stereo or does it need a minimum number of channels connected to work?and does it bypass the video and pass it to the tv/projector without any processing?

Jaconias

Preamp mode kills amplification for ALL channels.

AVR does no video processing unless you tell it to.
What happens if I use a 5-channel power and Atmos connected to the Denon, or use only 2-channel stereo in the pre outs and choose pre amp mode?

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What happens if I use a 5-channel power and Atmos connected to the Denon, or use only 2-channel stereo in the pre outs and choose pre amp mode?
I think they have 2 different modes for 2 channel vs multi-channel. I’m not sure how it will enable/disable things.

rvsixer

All covered in the manual as well as the Masimo video posted here (even time-stamped iirc):
1) Preamp mode disconnects ALL internal amplification
2) 11.1 channel mode allows user to disconnect any channel pre-out from its respective internal amp on an ala carte basis

Last edited:

rvsixer

Still that means the video is out there somewhere, probably broncogr would know about it, but he never did post the link to the "source" webinar video.
May be one of our European member can find it for us.
So the A1H video is posted. I didn't find any additional specific/detailed sub management info in there than we already know about. But they did again confirm that next month, both Audyssey and Dirac will support four subs with individual calibration.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the A1H video is posted. I didn't find any additional specific/detailed sub management info in there than we already know about. But they did again confirm that next month, both Audyssey and Dirac will support four subs with individual calibration.

The presenter did say the new Dirac live ARC ART would be considered, may be next year, but definitely not this year.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Link please

techsamurai

Do the 3800H and 4800H allow you to use an external amp for a few channels or do you need to power them ALL of them with an external amp? I read that pre-out mode switches off amplification.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do the 3800H and 4800H allow you to use an external amp for a few channels or do you need to power them ALL of them with an external amp? I read that pre-out mode switches off amplification.

Yes, you can pick and choose in pairs, and the center channel to be powered by ext amps.

No, preamp mode does not switch off the internal amps, it disconnects them from the pre outs. When he said "switch off", he meant disconnect, and you can see that in the diagram included in his presentation.

1677519230059.png

Last edited:

GalZohar

To make things more clear, you can use a pre-out even without enabling the pre-out mode for that channel, although as Amir measured it will have a SINAD penalty above a certain voltage (which you may never actually reach, depending on your amplifier, speakers, room and listening levels).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To make things more clear, you can use a pre-out even without enabling the pre-out mode for that channel, although as Amir measured it will have a SINAD penalty above a certain voltage (which you may never actually reach, depending on your amplifier, speakers, room and listening levels).

And that SINAD penalty will not likely penalize your ears that you cannot hear the difference from 97 dB to 76 dB SINAD, but might penalize the eyes/brains that can see/remember the lower numbers.

Smitty2k1

Has anyone found a IR remote plug that works in the rear 3.5mm input jack? I've tried a few different ones that worked in my old Marantz AVR but not Denon. I've resorted to using the stick-on IR eyes inside my media cabinet, but would prefer a plug if possible.

Top Bottom