• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

SlowCar

As in first post - pair of Polk r700. Connected to tv by optical cable avr optical input number 1

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will it change something when listening 2 channel?
One thing you don't want is for the TV to be doing any sort of downmixing to 2-channel stereo itself.

Standard downmixes to stereo from Dolby Digital etc in simple non-audio-focussed gear like TVs are conservative, usually with dynamic range reduction forced. That might be part of what you're hearing.

You need to make sure the original bitstream reaches the receiver, where you should be able to ensure dynamic range compression is disabled. (Although some older receivers used to force this unless you had a full 5.1 speaker set).

This is most reliably done by sending the audio through the receiver first, or using eARC. Optical TV outputs are a bit hit-and-miss.

KMO

Yes, basic ARC might work better than optical, and automatically.

Although optical can work - depends on the TV, and you making sure you've manually enabled Dolby Digital etc output.

GalZohar

I have 3700 + Polk R700 (pair) setup. Audyssey correction done with app. BBC dip turned off, bass +4dB (similar as in AmirM review of Audyssey). Dynamic EQ turned on, Reference offset 10dB. Towers set as Large. All other things turned off (no sw, center channel etc.). During music playback everything is ok, but when I watch movie I feel lack of bass (especially during heavy battle scenes) - how to change it? Tv connected by optical cable.
If your speakers curve is boosting 4db at the bass, then to get it smoothed out with your subwoofer you should boost it by at least 4db in the trims. Otherwise you will get a bass drop below the crossover.

SlowCar

UPDATE: I have connected tv with ARC. Now I have everything connected to tv, and from tv only 1 HDMI cable goes to AVR. Watching concerts on PC feel like highs are really bad and low quality - maybe some windows settings?
But more important - bass from PC or TV (using Smart TV) is a lot quieter than through AirPlay. For comparison I have used Royals by Lorde. Using AirPlay from iPad make room shaking from high quality bass. I am impressed. But when I switch to TV (YouTube, AppleTV - LOTR) there is nothing better than from my previous 2-way 6.5 inch loudspeakers. Difference is huge. What can be a reason?

DrStranger

UPDATE: I have connected tv with ARC. Now I have everything connected to tv, and from tv only 1 HDMI cable goes to AVR. Watching concerts on PC feel like highs are really bad and low quality - maybe some windows settings?
But more important - bass from PC or TV (using Smart TV) is a lot quieter than through AirPlay. For comparison I have used Royals by Lorde. Using AirPlay from iPad make room shaking from high quality bass. I am impressed. But when I switch to TV (YouTube, AppleTV - LOTR) there is nothing better than from my previous 2-way 6.5 inch loudspeakers. Difference is huge. What can be a reason?
Stuff that does not push video and audio, only audio, plug in to AVR.

Stuff that does push video and audio, plug in to TV, and then use ARC. (Yes, you can push to AVR as well, but its allways better to reduce extra hops.

If you are using Spotify (?), use spotify connect, not Airplay push to AVR from IPAD since you get better sound quality.

Remember to plug in your devices to correct HDMIs on the TV for best and maximum bandwith (dont know what TV you have, so I am guessing you have different versions).

Regarding PC connect, I have no clue but Windows is Windows and one can tweak and choose different paths and settngs for audio streams, important that the receiver (not just talking the 3700 only, but the hops and target) can handle the settings.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stuff that does not push video and audio, only audio, plug in to AVR.

Stuff that does push video and audio, plug in to TV, and then use ARC. (Yes, you can push to AVR as well, but its allways better to reduce extra hops.
I just plug everything into the AVR. Never had issues (knock on wood).

Plus if you don't, you can't get the AVR's OSD.

KMO

But more important - bass from PC or TV (using Smart TV) is a lot quieter than through AirPlay.
One possible reason for a significant bass difference would be having Dynamic EQ turned on for some sources and not for others. At least on my Denon, it's one of the per-source settings.

Oh, and even if you have it on, you'd want different Reference offset settings for music and film - you'd want that set to 0 for film, not the -10 you mention.

GalZohar

For movies, you need to use the "info" button to see what format is being played, some formats may be downmixed and lack the LFE channel.
Dynamic EQ mentioned above is another potential reason - As was mentioned, you need to set it for each source separately. This is probably intentional as you may prefer a different setting for each input (in fact, you'd want it for each type of content, but Audyssey can't do that).

KMO

Oh, and another thought - if you're outputting from a PC, you might have low level from the windows mixer, so be turning it up more in the receiver.

That undermines the Dynamic EQ behaviour too. It's comparing the master volume with the reference level.

You want the windows mixer volumes to be set to "maximum", or to be using a "exclusive mode" to bypass it altogether to make sure the receiver gets a full-volume signal, similar level to what you get from DVD or CD, so you don't have to excessively turn up the master volume, which then reduces Dynamic EQ's boosts.

SlowCar

Another test - Lorde Royals again

1. Smart TV -> ARC -> Denon - YouTube - bass is light
2. PS5 -> Denon - Apple music app - bass is light
3. Airplay directly on Denon - bass is great

After checking settings using info button - all sources have the same settings: Audyssey Reference, DEQ on, stereo etc.
But as @KMO mentioned - I have noticed that watching on TV/PS5 requires a lot higher volume numbers on Denon (around 10 more). So it can explain why bass is quieter - but still difference is enormous. How can I overcome this?

Additional question about very important feature for me - is it possible to listen to AirPlay music on Denon, while sending to TV output from console connected to Denon?
EG. playing game on console connected through avr - while listening to music? I know that I can connect console to TV but it doesn't solve a problem since tv has only 3 HDMI inputs.

KMO

A higher volume might indicate dynamic range compression is on for AirPlay - which would actually be an indication of poor quality. Check for that.

You should be setting the Audyssey reference offset setting higher lower for louder sources. If a source is perceptively 10dB louder, you want that setting to be 10dB higher for that source. It should be set to 0dB for high-quality wide-dynamic-range (and hence "quieter") film content, and higher for compressed pop.

You should also be able to set per-source trims to try to equalise trims. If there's nothing else you can find to turn off DRC for AirPlay, I'd suggest setting its trim to -10dB to put it in line with the others, and then changing the Audyssey Reference to 0dB for all sources.

Edit: Possibly useful explanation of the reference offset: https://avgadgets.com/audyssey-reference-level-offset-what-is-it-what-does-it-do/

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 3700 + Polk R700 (pair) setup. Audyssey correction done with app. BBC dip turned off, bass +4dB (similar as in AmirM review of Audyssey). Dynamic EQ turned on, Reference offset 10dB. Towers set as Large. All other things turned off (no sw, center channel etc.). During music playback everything is ok, but when I watch movie I feel lack of bass (especially during heavy battle scenes) - how to change it? Tv connected by optical cable.

Try using DEQ offset "0" for movies. You have already done the "Harman curve" that Amir did in the review right? Don't forget the effect of changes made to the target curve via the App will only be there if you use the reference curve.

SlowCar

Try using DEQ offset "0" for movies. You have already done the "Harman curve" that Amir did in the review right? Don't forget the effect of changes made to the target curve via the App will only be there if you use the reference curve.
I have tried. Unfortunately nothing compares to bass from airplay. I can try add few dB to source - but it can affect sound badly?

ABall

Forum Donor
I have tried. Unfortunately nothing compares to bass from airplay. I can try add few dB to source - but it can affect sound badly?
I dont know anything about apple but does the device your using have EQ? It could be adding extra bass?

Top Bottom