• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ps: those BMR are not avaiable in eastern Europę though some dealer?

You could email Dennis Murphy at [email protected]. I believe the speakers are made in Taiwan? He might be able to ship you a pair? However, don't expect to find them in a local store. I bought mine based on the recommendations of other users. I'm glad I did. Otherwise, I would have missed out on these.

There are other recommendations online I tried as well that did not meet my needs. So don't expect 100% satisfaction from all the gibberish you read. :D

bobster

Of you are only planning on using 2 channels shouldn't you be considering a preàmp? Except for the need to switch between the Apple tv and bluray I can't see the need for an AVR. Can u plug both directly into your tv and run the audio out via optical? Or maybe an integrated with HDMI ins?

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't seen integrated amps with HDMI ins. Did I miss something?

I want an FM tuner and/or built-in internet radio, and it's not out of the question that I'll add a center speaker and/or subs at some point. Also, depending on the particular amp, the price difference between an integrated and an AVR is often pretty close. That's why I was considering the X3700H.

I have a vague memory of the TV's audio output being noisy, but that would have been before I got the Marantz, when I only had an old NAD receiver with only analog ins. Will check into the optical output option. That would let me use an integrated amp - but then I'd be giving up radio.

I was taking Amir's critique of Marantz as gospel and assuming that something that measures well like the X3700H would be audibly better than my AV7005. But that's just an assumption...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amper42 what Has failed as a speaker for You? What have You Tried before BMR?

I ordered the Magnepan LRS. I read some great reviews and watched a video review. They all said they were great. I placed the order and it took 3 months to ship. About 10 days before I got them Amir completed a review saying he could not recommend them. Once I got them they were OK but the sound had more reverb in it than I liked. I ended up returning them. It cost $108 out-of-pocket for return shipping. I'm not sure they were worth the test drive for me. Apparently, others really like them. They just didn't have the clarity I wanted from my speakers.

I could go on but this topic may be better for a different thread. "Things I bought that I wish I hadn't." :p

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't seen integrated amps with HDMI ins. Did I miss something?

I want an FM tuner and/or built-in internet radio, and it's not out of the question that I'll add a center speaker and/or subs at some point. Also, depending on the particular amp, the price difference between an integrated and an AVR is often pretty close. That's why I was considering the X3700H.

I have a vague memory of the TV's audio output being noisy, but that would have been before I got the Marantz, when I only had an old NAD receiver with only analog ins. Will check into the optical output option. That would let me use an integrated amp - but then I'd be giving up radio.

I was taking Amir's critique of Marantz as gospel and assuming that something that measures well like the X3700H would be audibly better than my AV7005. But that's just an assumption...

Makes sense. If you may expand from 2 channel to more then you can't go wrong with the Denon.

Gislon

I have the x3700 and I'm trying to use the auto power off function - ideally the unit switches to standy if there's no signal for 15mins. But when I set it, the unit switches off even with input - so it turns off the sound 15 mins into a film, which is hopeless. I'm using an external amp for the front channels with the 11 channel internal amp decoupling process - I wondered if that was affecting the auto-power off so it gets confused with the zone 2 auto off which does turn off even with input.

Anyone else using this succesfully?

Svet

Forum Donor
Hi, I have a question about the video signal of the 3700h: I have a Bell 4K PVR, connected HDMI (high quality 8k) to the receiver. On the receiver Info display, the input of the pvr is 4k60, ycbcr 4:2:0, bt2020 10bits. I was able to have the video displayed sometimes, that's why I know it's 10 bits, from the Info display. Then now the receiver isn't able to display video when in Enhanced mode, only in Standard. But in the manual, Standard mode with 4:2:0 10 bits is NOT checked, so in Standard mode the pvr gives 8 bits only. It's like the receiver isn't able to detect the pvr's HDMI 10 bits signal... Could it be weak ?

KSU2002

I recently ordered the 3700h and will be finishing setting up my 7.2.4 home theater and have a question regarding driving 4ohm speakers in this setup. I have KEF THX in wall speakers I will be installing which are rated at 4ohm, 90db sensitivity (ci3160 for FL,C,FR) and ci200RS for heights and surrounds which are rated the same. I will be offloading low frequencies to the subs. My original plan was to do separates due to the nature of these speakers liking additional power according to current owners on a KEF forum I follow.

Reading through Amir’s review it sounds like this receiver will do a decent job powering these speakers with the option to add external amplification. Is there anyone in the forum driving a 9 or 11 channel setup with 4ohm speakers with primarily the Denon amps and are you satisfied? I’ll need to add at least 2 channel amplification to get to 7.2.4 with my setup and trying to decide if I go with a two channel amp, 7 channel like the monolith 7x200 or completely bypass the Denon amps and get an 11 channel power amp.

Our room is 15x24x9 with seating approximately 18-20ft from the screen. I already have hearing loss above 10,000hz so I don’t plan to drive the system at THX levels but I do like to turn the volume up during movies to feel the soundtrack.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently ordered the 3700h and will be finishing setting up my 7.2.4 home theater and have a question regarding driving 4ohm speakers in this setup. I have KEF THX in wall speakers I will be installing which are rated at 4ohm, 90db sensitivity (ci3160 for FL,C,FR) and ci200RS for heights and surrounds which are rated the same. I will be offloading low frequencies to the subs. My original plan was to do separates due to the nature of these speakers liking additional power according to current owners on a KEF forum I follow.

Reading through Amir’s review it sounds like this receiver will do a decent job powering these speakers with the option to add external amplification. Is there anyone in the forum driving a 9 or 11 channel setup with 4ohm speakers with primarily the Denon amps and are you satisfied? I’ll need to add at least 2 channel amplification to get to 7.2.4 with my setup and trying to decide if I go with a two channel amp, 7 channel like the monolith 7x200 or completely bypass the Denon amps and get an 11 channel power amp.

Our room is 15x24x9 with seating approximately 18-20ft from the screen. I already have hearing loss above 10,000hz so I don’t plan to drive the system at THX levels but I do like to turn the volume up during movies to feel the soundtrack.

Just my personal opinion, I've always thought that it would be very silly to add a 2 channel amp for a home theater setup, because it doesn't make sense to not provide the LCR with better amplification if you are adding an amp anyways. The center channel stands to benefit the most due to the amount of content played through it. Also, the difference in price between the Monolith 2 and 3 channel amp is a nice dinner. On those lines of thought, you can't go wrong going with the 5 or 7 channel for another small cost increase, but the 3 channel at minimum makes sense IMO. Let us know how your KEF setup sounds. What subs?

KSU2002

Just my personal opinion, I've always thought that it would be very silly to add a 2 channel amp for a home theater setup, because it doesn't make sense to not provide the LCR with better amplification if you are adding an amp anyways. The center channel stands to benefit the most due to the amount of content played through it. Also, the difference in price between the Monolith 2 and 3 channel amp is a nice dinner. On those lines of thought, you can't go wrong going with the 5 or 7 channel for another small cost increase, but the 3 channel at minimum makes sense IMO. Let us know how your KEF setup sounds. What subs?

I need to probably deepen my understanding of how the 3700 handles adding a 3 channel amp. Will the center channel be powered by the 3 channel amp or can you only select the FL and FR? My thoughts were either an inexpensive 2 channel amp to drive 2 of the atmos channels or the monolith 7x200 for the main 7 channels and let the receiver power the atmos channels. If a 3 channel amp will power the FL, C and FR then I think that becomes a decent option as well.

Currently looking at the SVS subs but also have my eye on the KEF KC62 which has some really positive reviews coming out for such a small form factor. The SVS subs would probably be better for home theater and the KEF currently has an issue where it has trouble waking up on low volume music or movies and sometimes turns itself back off. Since the setup is primarily for home theater, I’m leaning towards SVS. They are one of the other pieces I’m researching at the moment as well.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I need to probably deepen my understanding of how the 3700 handles adding a 3 channel amp. Will the center channel be powered by the 3 channel amp or can you only select the FL and FR? My thoughts were either an inexpensive 2 channel amp to drive 2 of the atmos channels or the monolith 7x200 for the main 7 channels and let the receiver power the atmos channels. If a 3 channel amp will power the FL, C and FR then I think that becomes a decent option as well.

Currently looking at the SVS subs but also have my eye on the KEF KC62 which has some really positive reviews coming out for such a small form factor. The SVS subs would probably be better for home theater and the KEF currently has an issue where it has trouble waking up on low volume music or movies and sometimes turns itself back off. Since the setup is primarily for home theater, I’m leaning towards SVS. They are one of the other pieces I’m researching at the moment as well.
Your room is a little over 3200ft^3(unless it is open to other areas and therefore even larger). A small, expensive sealed sub like the KEF would be like bringing a moped to a drag race....its a woefully inadequate tool for the job. Fine for a small office music system though.

SVS offers decent options but there are others I would consider if you are in the US?

Depending on budget, a few options I would recommend would be a pair of PSA TV1512, Rythmik FV15HP, Hsu VTF15H MKII, VTF3.5, or Monolith M15. These are the minimum I would use in that space for any semblance of accurately reproducing content below 80 Hz. They will all fall somewhat short if you want reference level but will do well if not.

Hsu 3.5 will be the value leaders in terms of bang for the buck, with the other options offering more performance in various ways(more output, lower extension, etc). There are certainly bigger and better subs out there.

For SVS, I think their 3000 series subs offer the best value in their lineup.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I found when I had outstanding Front left and right speakers the center was less important than if the opposite was true. Each person will need to make their own judgement with their particular gear. The Denon 3700 allows the user to connect fronts to pre-outs with an external amp in 7.2.4 mode. That works fine.

However, I went with the Monolith 7x200 to power Fronts, Center, Surrounds and front heights. Then I use a separate 4-channel amp for Rear Surrounds and Heights. Using Pre-amp mode allows the Denon to run cooler and offers a lot more clean power for dynamic range. I enjoy that setup but most will be totally happy with using the internal amps as well.

KSU2002

Your room is a little over 3200ft^3(unless it is open to other areas and therefore even larger). A small, expensive sealed sub like the KEF would be like bringing a moped to a drag race....its a woefully inadequate tool for the job. Fine for a small office music system though.

SVS offers decent options but there are others I would consider if you are in the US?

Depending on budget, a few options I would recommend would be a pair of PSA TV1512, Rythmik FV15HP, Hsu VTF15H MKII, VTF3.5, or Monolith M15. These are the minimum I would use in that space for any semblance of accurately reproducing content below 80 Hz. They will all fall somewhat short if you want reference level but will do well if not.

Hsu 3.5 will be the value leaders in terms of bang for the buck, with the other options offering more performance in various ways(more output, lower extension, etc). There are certainly bigger and better subs out there.

For SVS, I think their 3000 series subs offer the best value in their lineup.
Very helpful, thank you. I was leaning towards the 3000 series subs from SVS but will definitely look into the others you mention. This is why I value/appreciate these forums so much. Come looking for one answer and find several more you didn’t know you needed.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very helpful, thank you. I was leaning towards the 3000 series subs from SVS but will definitely look into the others you mention. This is why I value/appreciate these forums so much. Come looking for one answer and find several more you didn’t know you needed.

I have dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs in a 22x28' Home Theatre room. They are amazing.

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
Looking at the 3700 or 4700. What do I lose if I run as a processor only by combining with the Buckeye amp I have already ordered? Do the other zones still work? Also I see that the 4700 has jitter reduction. Anyone think that is even audible? I thought I read somewhere on ASR that the build quality of the 4700 is better but I cannot find that reference.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the 3700 or 4700. What do I lose if I run as a processor only by combining with the Buckeye amp I have already ordered? Do the other zones still work? Also I see that the 4700 has jitter reduction. Anyone think that is even audible? I thought I read somewhere on ASR that the build quality of the 4700 is better but I cannot find that reference.

The only reason I would buy the Denon 4700 over the 3700 is if I wanted Auro-3D. If you don't have Height Speakers then you won't miss Auro-3D. Personally, I really like Auro-3D in my 7.2.4 setup - so I went with the Denon 4700.

As to the question of what do you lose while in Pre-amp mode? The Zone 2 and Zone 3 modes on the Denon 4700 are not functional in Pre-amp mode. Same applies to Zone 2 with Denon 3700. When the receiver is in pre-amp mode only the functions labeled on the speaker terminals are available. Otherwise, everything else works the same.

Last edited:

Klint

Can someone please explain. If i ad a poweramp to the 3700 will those channels be almost shut of, giving the rest more power?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon 3700 receiver offers the ability to turn off ALL internal amps and use external amps instead with Pre-amp mode. It also allows the user to use pre-outs for the Fronts in 7.2.4 mode. This is actually necessary as there would not be enough amps otherwise.

To answer your question, the Denon 3700 does not have the ability to turn off/on each individual amp. It's all or nothing except the Front to pre-outs option. However, as you move speakers off the internal amps it can provide some extra amp headroom for the speakers remaining on the internal amps. It can also reduce heat.

Using 5 or more internal amps can reduce the Denon 3700 available power by approx. 20%. So, plan accordingly when deciding your needs. Many will find the internal amps alone will do the job. I would always try that 1st before diving into external amplification.

Klint

The Denon 3700 receiver offers the ability to turn off ALL internal amps and use external amps instead with Pre-amp mode. It also allows the user to use pre-outs for the Fronts in 7.2.4 mode. This is actually necessary as there would not be enough amps otherwise.

To answer your question, the Denon 3700 does not have the ability to turn off/on each individual amp. It's all or nothing except the Front to pre-outs option. However, as you move speakers off the internal amps it can provide some extra amp headroom for the speakers remaining on the internal amps. It can also reduce heat.

Using 5 or more internal amps can reduce the Denon 3700 available power by approx. 20%. So, plan accordingly when deciding your needs. Many will find the internal amps alone will do the job. I would always try that 1st before diving into external amplification.
Thanks. My thinking here was to run Fronts and center thru the Denon and ad a power amp for surround and height. Ease the running of the main channels.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. My thinking here was to run Fronts and center thru the Denon and ad a power amp for surround and height. Ease the running of the main channels.

You could do that. However, those that need an external amp usually do the opposite. Since most of the power is used by the fronts they typically get a more powerful amp to run the fronts externally and many run the center this way too. The power draw by the surrounds and heights on the Denon internal amps is minimal so the receiver is under a much lighter load.

Top Bottom