• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
The only reason I would buy the Denon 4700 over the 3700 is if I wanted Auro-3D. If you don't have Height Speakers then you won't miss Auro-3D. Personally, I really like Auro-3D in my 7.2.4 setup - so I went with the Denon 4700.

As to the question of what do you lose while in Pre-amp mode? The Zone 2 and Zone 3 modes on the Denon 4700 are not functional in Pre-amp mode. Same applies to Zone 2 with Denon 3700. When the receiver is in pre-amp mode only the functions labeled on the speaker terminals are available. Otherwise, everything else works the same.

Thank you. Does the HEOS function still work when using an external amp? I would think it does. My local sound shop will give me a HEOS speaker which I would like to run in my bedroom.

amper42

Major Contributor
The HEOS app will work whether you utilize external amplification or not. It's mainly a method for streaming music to the receiver. The speaker feature simply streams music to the HEOS speaker.

If you setup the Denon 3700/4700/6700 in "preamp" mode where all amplification is supplied by external amps, then the Zone 2 function is not available. However, you should still be able to use the HEOS speaker.

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
The HEOS app will work whether you utilize external amplification or not. It's mainly a method for streaming music to the receiver. The speaker feature simply streams music to the HEOS speaker.

If you setup the Denon 3700/4700/6700 in "preamp" mode where all amplification is supplied by external amps, then the Zone 2 function is not available. However, you should still be able to use the HEOS speaker.

Thanks. I am trying to decide if I want to future proof my setup by getting the 4700 with respect to the Auro-3D.

redstang

Thanks. I am trying to decide if I want to future proof my setup by getting the 4700 with respect to the Auro-3D.

Others may disagree, but most things I read say Auro-3D is pretty much dead. And there's very few BR titles that have it. I wouldn't make a purchase decision just for that feature. My 3700 is arriving today.

amper42

Major Contributor
Others may disagree, but most things I read say Auro-3D is pretty much dead. And there's very few BR titles that have it. I wouldn't make a purchase decision just for that feature. My 3700 is arriving today.

Auro-3D is far from dead. I can play ANY stereo source using Auto-3D mode on my Denon 4700. It's a wonderful sound that maximizes the use of Height Channels plus the Denon 4700 has individual controls allowing the user to tweak the setting dramatically. It's not for everyone - but I really like it. If I didn't have front and rear height speakers or I didn't care about Auro-3D the Denon 3700 would be a great choice.

redstang

Auro-3D is far from dead. I can play ANY stereo source using Auto-3D mode on my Denon 4700. It's a wonderful sound that maximizes the use of Height Channels plus the Denon 4700 has individual controls allowing the user to tweak the setting dramatically. It's not for everyone - but I really like it. If I didn't have front and rear height speakers or I didn't care about Auro-3D the Denon 3700 would be a great choice.

Ok, well I guess when I've seen comments about it being dead they are referring to it as a discrete audio track provided on a disc. Maybe as a processing option it can be entertaining, but it wasn't a factor for me regardless as I don't have height speakers. I've been running 7.1 so it will be an upgrade for me just to get to 9.2 Atmos.

hipis_1

Unfortunatelly it doesnt' have 7.1 input so I cannot use it with my older Denon DVD-1930 and get SACD 5.1. My Denon has HDMI 1.1...

redstang

Unfortunatelly it doesnt' have 7.1 input so I cannot use it with my older Denon DVD-1930 and get SACD 5.1. My Denon has HDMI 1.1...

To upgrade to the 4700 just for the 7.1 input costs around $500. Is there a new player you can get for that or less?

hipis_1

There are Marantz SR6015 and SR6014. I think both are cheeper but still quite expensive. I need 7.1 (5.1.2) and here I have to pay much more just to get 7.1 input and 9.1 I don't need.
New player... I would have to buy some combo 4k bluray/dvd/sacd and I the good onse won't be cheep eg. Sony UBP-X1100ES.

EDIT: I can't see any 7.1 analog IN in Denon X4700H.

Last edited:

hipis_1

What does it mean "DSD Audio Capability "? X3700 has it, X2700 not. This is for the files or for the SACD player?
Does it mean that X3700H can decoded DSD from SACD player (internal AVR DAC...?) sent without decoding in SACD and X2700H can't do that?

Last edited:

redstang

I assume at minimum it means the DAC can handle playing DSD files; not sure if it has anything to do with being able to play SACD with digital connection direct from player but seems likely. Mine just arrived yesterday. I only have a couple SACDs but I'll try it out once I have it hooked up.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it mean "DSD Audio Capability "? X3700 has it, X2700 not. This is for the files or for the SACD player?
Does it mean that X3700H can decoded DSD from SACD player (internal AVR DAC...?) sent without decoding in SACD and X2700H can't do that?

You can play some lower resolution dsd files as listed in the table below:
1618776696445.png

You cannot play it via HDMI, not natively, but in PCM 88.2 KHz. So either you let the SACD player output it in PCM via HDMI, or set it to bitstream and the AVR will convert it to PCM.

redstang

So with regards to SACDs, the answer is YES. I was able to play a multi-channel SACD as DSD direct to my x3700h via HDMI. I have an older Sony blu-ray player (BDP-BX57), I set DSD Audio mode to On, and then the Denon indicated it was getting DSD from the blu-ray player. With the DSD Audio setting off, the player was converting it to PCM and the Denon was indicating it was receiving PCM over HDMI. Note that the player warned me when I set DSD Audio on that if my receiver didn't support DSD it wouldn't work. As it did work, I have to assume what was showing on the Denon's info display was accurate.

For what it's worth, I couldn't hear a difference. YMMV.

Last edited:

hipis_1

So with regards to SACDs, the answer is YES. I was able to play a multi-channel SACD as DSD direct to my x3700h via HDMI. I have an older Sony blu-ray player (BDP-BX57), I set DSD Audio mode to On, and then the Denon indicated it was getting DSD from the blu-ray player. With the DSD Audio setting off, the player was converting it to PCM and the Denon was indicating it was receiving PCM over HDMI. Note that the player warned me when I set DSD Audio on that if my receiver didn't support DSD it wouldn't work. As it did work, I have to assume what was showing on the Denon's info display was accurate.

Nice info. So, having x3700h we can get "better" DSD transfer and we can chose between DSD or PCM, and having x2700h we can get only PCM multichannel via HDMI. So I think it will be the same in Marantz sr5015 (only PCM) and sr6015 (PCM and DSD). Am I right?
Do we have more connection options for SACD and Denon/Marants AVRs?
Audyssey and other interesting sound options works for both SACD multichannel transfers from your player?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If go to info, audio, the Denon will show DSD, but also show 88.1 kHz so that's probably not native DSD, but converted. If you play a DSD file, the Denon will show DSD direct and the correct 2.8 MHz, or 5.6 MHz sample rate. DSD 2.8 MHz, also referred to as DSD64 would be comparable to PCM's 24bit/88.2 kHz. The Denon displayed DSD 88.2 kHz, so again that led me to believe the signal got converted, but I may be wrong. Regardless, the fact that it does accept a DSD signal is good enough, even if not native.

I have the Sony BX59 so I know what you saw on the Denon too, it does show 88.2 kHz right?

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice info. So, having x3700h we can get "better" DSD transfer and we can chose between DSD or PCM, and having x2700h we can get only PCM multichannel via HDMI. So I think it will be the same in Marantz sr5015 (only PCM) and sr6015 (PCM and DSD). Am I right?
Do we have more connection options for SACD and Denon/Marants AVRs?
Audyssey and other interesting sound options works for both SACD multichannel transfers from your player?

If you read the manual of the 2700, it does indicate it cannot accept a DSD bit streamed signal from you sacd player, but you can play DSD files just the same via USB or network. You are right, the SR5015 would be PCM only too, via HDMI, but can play DSD files.

Last edited:

redstang

If go to info, audio, the Denon will show DSD, but also show 88.1 kHz so that's probably not native DSD, but converted. If you play a DSD file, the Denon will show DSD direct and the correct 2.8 MHz, or 5.6 MHz sample rate. DSD 2.8 MHz, also referred to as DSD64 would be comparable to PCM's 24bit/88.2 kHz. The Denon displayed DSD 88.2 kHz, so again that led me to believe the signal got converted, but I may be wrong. Regardless, the fact that it does accept a DSD signal is good enough, even if not native.

I have the Sony BX59 so I know what you saw on the Denon too, it does show 88.2 kHz right?

Nope - the Denon shows 2.8 mhz. The bitrate doesn't show in the info screen - had to dig into another submenu to see it.

-pekr-

I am currently owning the x3500h (paired with Monitor Audio Silver 200, at 5.0 recently, adding sub in few months, but no Atmos, as MAS line does not have any). What I am not satisfied with, is the stereo performance, unless I turn the volume really up. Was thinking about combining it with some pma amp, but only 2500ne has main-in mode.

So - I was lately thinking abount an upgrade. Have read good reviews about the x3600/3700h. It also seems x3700h moved up in the line? Have bought my x3500h for the money x2700h is nowadays offered for.

Hence my question is - do I gain some more clarity to a stereo reproduction, by upgrading to the x3700h or the x4700h? I am not so much interested in the power, but in some hi-fi jump, e.g. new or higher lines having better DACs, different tuning, etc. (as Denon has been talking about "Vivid and spacious", but it could as well be just a marketing gimmick)?

Thanks a lot,
/Petr

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am currently owning the x3500h (paired with Monitor Audio Silver 200, at 5.0 recently, adding sub in few months, but no Atmos, as MAS line does not have any). What I am not satisfied with, is the stereo performance, unless I turn the volume really up. Was thinking about combining it with some pma amp, but only 2500ne has main-in mode.

So - I was lately thinking abount an upgrade. Have read good reviews about the x3600/3700h. It also seems x3700h moved up in the line? Have bought my x3500h for the money x2700h is nowadays offered for.

Hence my question is - do I gain some more clarity to a stereo reproduction, by upgrading to the x3700h or the x4700h? I am not so much interested in the power, but in some hi-fi jump, e.g. new or higher lines having better DACs, different tuning, etc. (as Denon has been talking about "Vivid and spacious", but it could as well be just a marketing gimmick)?

Thanks a lot,
/Petr
IMO, if someone switched your AVR out for a 3600/3700 without you knowing, you wouldn't hear a difference(.007% sinad vs .004%). If you expect to, you may hear better sound quality. If you need more SPL, an amp *may* add a couple of dB of max output if you are indeed pushing your 3500 beyond its capabilities. A well integrated sub, or pair of subs will have a real and much more significant impact on sound quality by improving frequency response, extension, lower distortion, and reducing power requirement on AVR.

-pekr-

IMO, if someone switched your AVR out for a 3600/3700 without you knowing, you wouldn't hear a difference(.007% sinad vs .004%). If you expect to, you may hear better sound quality. If you need more SPL, an amp *may* add a couple of dB of max output if you are indeed pushing your 3500 beyond its capabilities. A well integrated sub, or pair of subs will have a real and much more significant impact on sound quality by improving frequency response, extension, lower distortion, and reducing power requirement on AVR.

Well, it's mostly about the stereo listening expectations, which I find kind of mediocre on the x3500h, especially at low volumes (as we have a 4 years junior here). It opens-up bove the 50 level of volume, we usually have it at 30-40 level. I thought, that new models, due to proclaimed change to the sound signature by Denon ("Vivid and spacious") and/or maybe due to a better DACs, could provide me with the better stereo experience. But reading your response most probably I am wrong. I wanted to add pma-1600ne to it, but it lacks HT bypass mode, so jus thought that getting x4700h, I would solve that. As I understand now, not necessarily ....

Top Bottom