• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

ciotime

If you're only using the Denon 3700 for Movies, I would consider the Buckeye 4 channel NC252MP.

Buckeye Amps - NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

4 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped
email directly at ([email protected]) for purchases or questions.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/
I use these cables between my Denon 4700 and the XLR's on the amp.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30110&cs_id=3011010&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2
I got in touch with Buckeye last week and already purchased the 4 channel NC252MP to be used as my 3 ch ( Fronts ) external amp for the 3700. I was just wondering that it practically has the same specs as the one being sold by NORD but why NORD is way more expensive? Also any ideas as to why I'm getting no sound if I choose FLAT on the Denon? Reference works fine. Thanks.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone knows why I'm getting no sound when I choose FLAT on the Audyssey setting ( X3700H )? No problem when set to REFERENCE mode.

What happens when you select Pure Direct mode? Does it play?
It sounds like the amp assign settings may be confused.

1. If you are using the Audyssey app I would reload your last saved settings and see if Flat is working after that.
2. If the app was not used, I would rerun the Audyssey configuration.
3. I would highly recommend downloading and using the Audyssey app for setting up EQ.

ciotime

What happens when you select Pure Direct mode? Does it play?
It sounds like the amp assign settings may be confused.

1. If you are using the Audyssey app I would reload your last saved settings and see if Flat is working after that.
2. If the app was not used, I would rerun the Audyssey configuration.
3. I would highly recommend downloading and using the Audyssey app for setting up EQ.
Yep pure direct mode plays. Yeah downloaded the MultEQ XT32. No sound when I tried the Flat mode after doing all the calibration via the app. I just wanted to try how it sounds compared to Reference. Limited EQ around 400HZ using the app. Also using a miniDSP 2X4 HD for my dual subs.

Velocity

I just noticed there's a curious difference between the US AVR X3700H and the UK AVC X3700H. The Front Right preout swaps place with Sub Preout #2. I wonder why.
EIkoEAe.jpg

c4ssSul.jpg

Benedium

Forum Donor
Anyone knows why I'm getting no sound when I choose FLAT on the Audyssey setting ( X3700H )? No problem when set to REFERENCE mode.

Haha had that experience before on my x3600h. U are using the MultiEQ app to send calibration files u edited right? Well if I'm not wrong... after you make changes and check the results, close the calibration file's window first and go to the home or directory page of the multi EQ app where u can see all the files. Then click on the Send File Icon on the top and follow instructions to select device and calibration file. Works for me everytime now. Do not try to send directly from the calibration file's page

Last edited:

ciotime

Haha had that experience before on my x3600h. U are using the MultiEQ app to send calibration files u edited right? Well if I'm not wrong... after you make changes and check the results, close the calibration file's window first and go to the home page of the multi EQ app. Then click on the Send File Icon on the top and follow instructions to select device and calibration file. Works for me everytime now. Do not try to send directly from the calibration file's page
Ok will give it a try...thanks.

TomekNet

I know preamp mode is all or nothing but I was considering this receiver and have a 2 channel amp I would like for the pre-puts. Is it possible to only have pre-outs on just the front L & R? I will be setting this up in a 5.2.2 setup for now may switch it up to use more of the onboard amps now that I have them later .

Yes. This is what I have now in 5.2.2. And waiting to another amp to go full preamp mode.

TomekNet

I had this couple of times, but after uploading Audyssey settings again it was gone.

TomekNet

Thanks...which one do you prefer? Flat or Reference?

I use make a curve for my fronts so I use Referece. As far as I know Flat setting ignores it.

ciotime

I use make a curve for my fronts so I use Referece. As far as I know Flat setting ignores it.
Ohhh so I guess Flat really is of not much use then. Do you use your fingers to make the curve or Ratbuddyssey? Kinda hard using fingers on the tab.

TomekNet

Ohhh so I guess Flat really is of not much use then. Do you use your fingers to make the curve or Ratbuddyssey? Kinda hard using fingers on the tab.

I use fingers for now but yeah it's annoying. I plan to use tablet with a mouse in the future.

oupee

[QUOTE = "Benedium, příspěvek: 652969, člen: 18457"] ěl tuto zkušenost [/ QUOTE]
I just noticed there's a curious difference between the US AVR X3700H and the UK AVC X3700H. The Front Right preout swaps place with Sub Preout #2. I wonder why.
EIkoEAe.jpg

c4ssSul.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If you ran Audyssey with the App, it probably failed to send all the data to the AVR, tried sending it again (from the App/device) to the AVR. It may take more than one more trial but it will work eventually. If you ran directly from the AVR then I don't know the answer, never happened to me that way, but there's no harm trying to re-run Audyssey and see what happens.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use fingers for now but yeah it's annoying. I plan to use tablet with a mouse in the future.

I use Ratbuddyssey so I can typed in the cuts/boosts instead of drawing, that imo is a waste of time your goal is to draw the curve as intended, even if you use a mouse.

ciotime

I use Ratbuddyssey so I can typed in the cuts/boosts instead of drawing, that imo is a waste of time your goal is to draw the curve as intended, even if you use a mouse.
Im quite new to the Ratbuddyssey app...Ive been using the miniDSP 2X4 HD to integrate my dual subs as well as EQ the lower freq....so couple of questions.

1) Is the app mainly for correcting the lower freq?

2) If so then do I need it or is it better to use the miniDSP 2X4 HD?

3) Can one use it WITH the miniDSP 2X4HD?

bigguyca

Im quite new to the Ratbuddyssey app...Ive been using the miniDSP 2X4 HD to integrate my dual subs as well as EQ the lower freq....so couple of questions.

Below is a link to the Ratbuddyssey thread on AVS. If you do some reading you'll get a better idea of the history and capabilities of Ratbuddyssey.

(479) Announcing ratbuddyssey - a tool for tweaking Audyssey MultEQ app files | AVS Forum

It is really best to download the application, transfer some Audyssey measurements, and see how it works.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

1) No, you can use it for even 20,000 Hz if you wish.
2) To me, it is better to use the App+Rat. I put my minidsp 2X4HD back in the box and have not been able to find use for it. It had been used for no more than 2-3 months, will sell it for cheap if someone is interested.
3) Yes you can, in fact I did use it with Audyssey in the beginning because I was able to make some minor gain that way, but not if used just by itself.

Either way, if your goal is to achieve around +/- 1 dB 20 to say 120 Hz (1/12 to 1/24 smoothing), then I would guess a lot of trial and error is required, but in reality I believe +/- 2.5 dB should be more than enough, then it is a matter of customize one's preferred slope towards the low end. In that case, I could get it done in less than 2 hours, and that's being pessimistic.

kejar31

2) To me, it is better to use the App+Rat. I put my minidsp 2X4HD back in the box and have not been able to find use for it. It had been used for no more than 2-3 months, will sell it for cheap if someone is interested.
3) Yes you can, in fact I did use it with Audyssey in the beginning because I was able to make some minor gain that way, but not if used just by itself.

Either way, if your goal is to achieve around +/- 1 dB 20 to say 120 Hz (1/12 to 1/24 smoothing), then I would guess a lot of trial and error is required, but in reality I believe +/- 2.5 dB should be more than enough, then it is a matter of customize one's preferred slope towards the low end. In that case, I could get it done in less than 2 hours, and that's being pessimistic.

I have had an AVR-X3400H with two HSW subs for some time. (3700 will be here this weekend) I have also had a UMIK-1 mic for a few years and have used it to help me position the subs and validate my MultEQ calibrations.

This year I also picked up a minidsp 2x4 HD to see if I could improve the subs and after validating everything through multiple calibrations etc I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that REW with a minidsp 2x4 HD produces a better calibration for multiple subs. With the tools within minidsp and REW you simply have more control, from better time alignment between the subs themselves to compete control over how peaks are cut, to being able to roll off the bottom end to keep your sub within its abilities.

TBH I ended up also using both but was sure to make sure the minidsp only cut peaks and didn’t boost any. Here is a pic of my results

Attachments

• 020C5548-289B-4956-A5BC-E549B8922A1B.jpeg
    020C5548-289B-4956-A5BC-E549B8922A1B.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 150

ciotime

Thanks...its been often mentioned to limit Audyssey's EQ to about the 300Hz-500Hz....where do you limit yours? If one were to limit it to say 500Hz then there's no point in doing the EQ curve via Ratbuddyssey above 500Hz right?

Top Bottom