• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

OrewaBob

Interesting. The AVR has been going well without any problems, watched a couple of 'loud' movies etc. Last night watching a quiet show, it kept switching off. A restart would only last a few seconds until it failed again (each time with a loud 'Pop'). Tried running a heavy extension cord from a totally different power circuit, no difference. Unplugged the pair of surround speakers (so now running 3.2), and it then ran perfectly for the next hour. Could be just coincidence. If I plugged the surrounds into the rear channels on the AVR, I suppose I should run Audyssey again, would the AVR work it out and send what it should to the surrounds? My surrounds ARE really more at the back of the room anyway.
If the fault IS on one of the surround channels, would transferring the speakers to the different channel 'fix' the problem?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. The AVR has been going well without any problems, watched a couple of 'loud' movies etc. Last night watching a quiet show, it kept switching off. A restart would only last a few seconds until it failed again (each time with a loud 'Pop'). Tried running a heavy extension cord from a totally different power circuit, no difference. Unplugged the pair of surround speakers (so now running 3.2), and it then ran perfectly for the next hour. Could be just coincidence. If I plugged the surrounds into the rear channels on the AVR, I suppose I should run Audyssey again, would the AVR work it out and send what it should to the surrounds? My surrounds ARE really more at the back of the room anyway.
If the fault IS on one of the surround channels, would transferring the speakers to the different channel 'fix' the problem?

I think you should go through the process of elimination. So, leave the surround speakers disconnected for longer, long enough for you to know if those channels were responsible for the "shutdown". It you still get any shutdown, then disconnect the center channel, so on and so forth until you isolate the culprit. If even after disconnecting all speakers it still shutdown then you know you have no choice but to get it repaired. If it works find with no speaker connected, then you have the option of getting the unit repaired, or use it as a preamp, or buy a new AVR and sell the 3600 as preamp/processor. Basically, if you know which (or all) internal amp, or the preamp is the culprit, then you know your options. The process may take a longer time, but you have been trying long enough and still don't have anything conclusive, so it is time to have a plan (one that is logical, such as by process of elimination), and see it through once and for all.

OrewaBob

Yeah, you are right. I plugged the surrounds back in and it went into protection again after only 20 minutes, and back into protection again after 2 minutes for several restarts. Then after unplugging the surrounds, all was fine for the rest of the evening. I will use it like that for a while, plug in one of the surrounds at a time to see if I can work out which channel. Will the AVR work with only one surround present?
My wife is over it and says buy a new one, but it is frustrating with such a new bit of kit. The 3800 and 4800 are so new that there are no reasonable discounts yet too! It also sounds like the 3800 is not an upgrade either.
I gather that the AVR will not allow me to use the rear channels instead of the surround channels if one of the surround amps is faulty?

OrewaBob

I am using HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cables, if that is what you are asking. I am not sure what the speed of the HDMI is on the 3600. I tried using 2.0 cables and could not get full HDR to work reliably, switching to 2.1 cables fixed that :)
The AVR has worked perfectly for a couple of days with the left surround removed. I will try swapping, putting the left surround back in and removing the right surround to see what happens.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am using HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cables, if that is what you are asking. I am not sure what the speed of the HDMI is on the 3600. I tried using 2.0 cables and could not get full HDR to work reliably, switching to 2.1 cables fixed that :)
The AVR has worked perfectly for a couple of days with the left surround removed. I will try swapping, putting the left surround back in and removing the right surround to see what happens.
I consulted the customer service and they said that the X3600H is only 18Gbps.

Propheticus

Yeah, you are right. I plugged the surrounds back in and it went into protection again after only 20 minutes, and back into protection again after 2 minutes for several restarts. Then after unplugging the surrounds, all was fine for the rest of the evening. I will use it like that for a while, plug in one of the surrounds at a time to see if I can work out which channel. Will the AVR work with only one surround present?
My wife is over it and says buy a new one, but it is frustrating with such a new bit of kit. The 3800 and 4800 are so new that there are no reasonable discounts yet too! It also sounds like the 3800 is not an upgrade either.
I gather that the AVR will not allow me to use the rear channels instead of the surround channels if one of the surround amps is faulty?
You said earlier you checked cables and even changed plugs, but that was focussed on fronts and centre.
Did you inspect the surround cables as well? It could be as simple as a pet chewing on or a pinched cable.
Best to measure them with a multimeter. Check for a short by using both leads at one end (of an unconnected cable) in resistance mode. We want to see ~infinity here.

OrewaBob

Thanks, but I have checked that previously. Also, the AVC is reporting that it is a DC error not a short. Still working fine driving just one surround channel, I need to swap and try the other by itself.
If the problem is one channel of the amp, is that likely to be expensive to get repaired?

Gharp23

I noticed these popped up on A4L as factory refurbished for sale. Given that it's been discontinued for some time would it be fair to say it still has the ak dac chip?
Did they ever make newer x3600h with a different chip or was that the x3700h? Thanks

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks, but I have checked that previously. Also, the AVC is reporting that it is a DC error not a short. Still working fine driving just one surround channel, I need to swap and try the other by itself.
If the problem is one channel of the amp, is that likely to be expensive to get repaired?
A month old I know but, Got an old amp or something you can use from the surround pre-out to power that channel?

Did they ever make newer x3600h with a different chip or was that the x3700h? Thanks
Thats the 3700s, any 3600 should be as measured here, AFAIK.

galego100

Hello , i´m a new owner of a X3600H , bought it for 400$ , mint condition.

I have a power amp by purifi( 2x400W) , Two front speakers MA Silver 100 6G , and a SVS sub .

I also have a topping dac , E70 Stereo , it ´s possible to connect it to X3600h ? Would it benefit me to connect the DAC? And how to connect it? The internal DAC of X3600H is automatically desactivated?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello , i´m a new owner of a X3600H , bought it for 400$ , mint condition.

I have a power amp by purifi( 2x400W) , Two front speakers MA Silver 100 6G , and a SVS sub .

I also have a topping dac , E70 Stereo , it ´s possible to connect it to X3600h ? Would it benefit me to connect the DAC? And how to connect it? The internal DAC of X3600H is automatically desactivated?

Using an external DAC with a Denon Receiver almost never makes it sound better. The signal processing in the receiver always makes it still sound like a Denon. You can use Pure Direct mode but then Audyssey is turned off so you lose your EQ. If you want to try the DAC use it without the receiver going directly to the Purifi amp. See if that sounds better or worse to your ears. My guess is you may miss the EQ provided by the X3600H.

Taso

Hi, I wanted to celebrate with you my purchase completed right now. Thanks for all the advice and thanks to this nice forum. I'll be back soon to stress you out! hahaha :) :) :) cin cin !

670 euros + 30 euros shipping from Germany to Italy. I was hoping to spend less but it's still fine. Now I'm getting rid of the x3300w.

Taso

HI! One thing isn't clear to me. here it says input sensitivity 1.2Vrms...but then it says maximum input 16Vrms.
Can you explain to me, please, why this big difference?
The amplifier has adjustable gains. I use it for a couple of subs.

...and....Is the 1.2v (approximately) output of the 3600 called Vrms? Or peak to peak? Thx

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_9.jpg
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 40

witwald

Forum Donor
Input sensitivity is the minimum input voltage that is required for the amplifier to reach its full power output. The maximum input voltage is the voltage that the inputs can handle before clipping of the waveform occurs.

Taso

Thanks for the reply, I had this idea too. Now I have confirmation of it. Is the value of 1.2Vrns valid for any of the 3 inputs?

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 38

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply, I had this idea too. Now I have confirmation of it. Is the value of 1.2Vrns valid for any of the 3 inputs?

According to the specifications, yes it doesn't matter which inputs, 1.2 Vrms will give you the rated output as long as you keep the gain adjustment the same for each case.
This is a class B amplifier, audiophiles typically would not use it for hifi, but I am sure you know that already.

Taso

ok, thanks for the information. Yes, I know audiophiles and their thoughts. It's great to my ears! :)
...mine is class H. I don't know what "2-tier" means though. Maybe you know it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_9.jpg
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 39

jd17

Hi everyone!
I am quoting Amir's review and hope that anyone can shed some light for me...

At first I tested it in normal mode and it could only go up to 1.5 volt before the amp clipped and sunk the DAC performance with it.
What does 1.5V mean in the real world?

I bought a Hypex power amp (LPA-S500NC) for the Fronts and switched to 11ch mode as suggested.
Either my hearing is simply limited, or my speakers don't need much power, or I simply do not listen to music loud enough, or all of the mentioned...
I hear no difference whatsoever.

I am now wondering if it is worth to keep the power amp, so I hope you guys can help me.
What kind of volume range can I typically expect at those 1.5V?
Is this an output that people would even reach in normal living rooms? :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ok, thanks for the information. Yes, I know audiophiles and their thoughts. It's great to my ears! :)
...mine is class H. I don't know what "2-tier" means though. Maybe you know it!
Okay, but you circled the 1.2 V in that attached photo under the GX3 column so I thought you had the GX3, the GX5 is class H, but it is mostly class B as well like the GX3. It has "2-tier" rail voltage, that's why they call it class H. 2-tier is the basic type of class H, there are some more sophisticated class H that has more "tiers", or even use infinitely variable (analog) supply rail. Those are sometimes referred to as rail trackers. This kind of class H is done to increase efficiency even further than that of the class B's.

Top Bottom