• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

D

Deleted member 26908

@peng

So, is the 97dB for the center channel, and 103dB for the left channel, measured at 1.4 volts, with it disconnected or connected?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng

So, is the 97dB for the center channel, and 103dB for the left channel, measured at 1.4 volts, with it disconnected or connected?

It is not 97 dB (that must be just a typo you made:)), it is 74.55 dB for the center channel.

The center channel's internal amp was connected, it cannot be disconnected anyway. That's why it did not perform that well at 2.0V/ The AVR-X3600H does not have preamp mode so only the front left and front right channel power amps can be disconnected using the Amp assign method. So that excellent 100 dB SINAD was obtained with the internal amp (left channel) disconnected.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not 97 dB (that must be just a typo you made:)), it is 74.55 dB for the center channel.

The center channel's internal amp was connected, it cannot be disconnected anyway. That's why it did not perform that well at 2.0V/ The AVR-X3600H does not have preamp mode so only the front left and front right channel power amps can be disconnected using the Amp assign method. So that excellent 100 dB SINAD was obtained with the internal amp (left channel) disconnected.
I think simple solution for many would be to get an external amp that can be driven to ones needs that doesn’t require more than 1.5v (if one needs external amps). Performance remains very good in such a scenario on channels that can’t be disconnected on the older Denon’s like the x3600, correct?

D

Deleted member 26908

If you reduce the output to 1.4 volts, SINAD of the center channel improves to 97 dB whereas the Left goes up to 103 dB.

So surely the center did indeed go up to 97dB as I mentioned, but probably then with the front amp disconnected, L/R.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you reduce the output to 1.4 volts, SINAD of the center channel improves to 97 dB whereas the Left goes up to 103 dB.

So surely the center did indeed go up to 97dB as I mentioned, but probably then with the front amp disconnected, L/R.

Yes at 1.4 V the center channel should be able to get close to 97 dB. It has nothing to do with the front channel amps disconnected though. That is, whether the front channel amps are connected or not, the center channel can still do about 97 dB at 1.4 V, but will begin to degrade at higher voltage, to about 75 dB at 2 V. I hope that's clear. By the way, it would be the same for the the other 6 channels.

D

Deleted member 26908

I don't know man, the test just don't make any sense to me.
Look at his post, read it from top to bottom, exactly what he says, and in the order he says it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/post-380325

The image says: Front amp disconnected (Left & Center)

Center shows 74dB.

Then he says: As you see, Center channel without amp disconnect suffers a lot.

He just said it was disconnected???

I promise, read it yourself, several times, it makes no sense.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at his post, read it from top to bottom, exactly what he says, and in the order he says it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/post-380325

Center shows 74dB.

The key is the center (or any channel not disconnected) at 2V the performance is at a SINAD of 75. At 1.4V the center or any channel that is not disconnected from the amps at around 97.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Center shows 74dB.

Okay man, now I understand what you are saying. It does look a little confusing, but only just a little.

The (Left & Center) part only means the numbers show the SINAD of the Left and Center channels, but only the Front amp(s) were disconnected.
If he meant to say Front and Center amps disconnected he would have said so.

You can be 100% sure this was how it was because:

a) The AVR-X3600H only allows you to disconnect the front left and front right channel amps, and you can't just disconnect the left, or the right, it has to be both front left and front right.

b) It does not allow you to disconnect any other channel amps, no option for that.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The key is the center (or any channel not disconnected) at 2V the performance is at a SINAD of 75. At 1.4V the center or any channel that is not disconnected from the amps at around 97.

I am sure he knows that already but he was confused by Amir's wording as he highlighted in his post.

D

Deleted member 26908

The (Left & Center) part only means the numbers show the SINAD of the Left and Center channels, but only the Front amp(s) were disconnected.
If he meant to say Front and Center amps disconnected he would have said so.

No, I get this... that's not the problem.

The problem is prior to having him mention 97dB @ 1.4V for the center, he says this:
As you see, Center channel without amp disconnect suffers a lot.

Leads me to believe he got things confused, because in the test image he says the front amp (L/R) indeed was disconnected.

SO, this leads me to having to ask the following:
If you reduce the output to 1.4 volts, SINAD of the center channel improves to 97 dB...

WITH or WITHOUT front amp disconnected?

L-O-L this guy!

D

Deleted member 26908

I'm sorry, nowhere is this mentioned.

D

Deleted member 26908

PROBABLY, with it still disconnected!

But that is my assumption, taking into account in the sentence he is mentioning it!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I get this... that's not the problem.

The problem is prior to having him mention 97dB @ 1.4V for the center, he says this:
As you see, Center channel without amp disconnect suffers a lot.

Leads me to believe he got things confused, because in the test image he says the front amp (L/R) indeed was disconnected.

SO, this leads me to having to ask the following:
If you reduce the output to 1.4 volts, SINAD of the center channel improves to 97 dB...

WITH or WITHOUT front amp disconnected?

L-O-L this guy!
On this model the center can’t be disconnected (on the 3700 it can be in full preamp mode). The 97 is with the amp connected at 1.4v. Above that when connected performance degrades. You will see something very similar in all denon models with amps connected. If using external amps, and you get ones that don’t require above 1.4 or there abouts, you get very good performance even if the amps remain connected.

D

Deleted member 26908

Right, but how do you know 97 is with the amp connected?
Just because the center can't be disconnected?
Disconnecting L/R will have no effect on the center channel?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but how do you know 97 is with the amp connected?
Just because the center can't be disconnected?
Disconnecting L/R will have no effect on the center channel?
Because in post 269 @amirm says this:
"If you reduce the output to 1.4 volts, SINAD of the center channel improves to 97 dB whereas the Left goes up to 103 dB. This is at volume position 79.5 dB (above is at 82.5). "
On this particular model the center amp cannot be disconnected, so that is the condition of the results Amir refers to above.
And my understanding is disconnecting the L/R amps have no affect on the other channels.

Matt0305

Is it worth offloading my 4 ohm LCR channels with an external amp? I run my 3600 in 5.1.2 at some relatively high levels and I can notice a drop in available power when pushing 7 channels, even if it's only slight. Would it help the amp run a little cooler?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it worth offloading my 4 ohm LCR channels with an external amp? I run my 3600 in 5.1.2 at some relatively high levels and I can notice a drop in available power when pushing 7 channels, even if it's only slight. Would it help the amp run a little cooler?

It depends on you definition of high level. Assuming your trim level settings are around 0, I would say if you regularly watch 7.1 movies at volume -15 or higher then you really should get an external amp for the 4 Ohm LCRs. At least put a fan on top of the unit.

AudioLover73

Using external amplification will definitely take a majority of the load off the 3600. I would start with just offloading the front left and right channels. Most likely that will provide the remaining channels with more than enough power from the power supply.

Take a look at the total power available in the X3400H (got this from Sound & Vision). Also keep in mind that the 3600 probably has a larger power supply, so the actual numbers will be higher, but this should give you an idea. Now I would never expect the surround channels to output anywhere near the amount of power the front channels produce, so if you offload just the front left and right, that should solve your problem.

Screenshot_2021-03-17 Denon AVR-X3400H A V Receiver Review Test Bench.png

And here's some 4 ohm data.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-17 Denon AVR-X3400H A V Receiver Review Test Bench.png
    7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Top Bottom