• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Timbo2

I only got one update.
Maybe I did it later than you did.
And u are right. The option seems to only appear if the source is Dolby Digital(DD), which in my case is when I'm watching free-to-air stuff or youtube on my smart tv. When the source is Dolby Digital, the centre spread option is found under Setup - Audio - Surround Parameter. Enjoy!

I notice you are in Singapore. Maybe the reason I had the “fun” of the double upgrade is market specific. Good news is I haven’t noticed any issues after the update.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit of good news for us owners of the AVR-3600H

Denon & Marantz Firmware Update Adds DTS:X Pro & Key Audio Feature Back!

Essentially Dolby now allows licensees to again allow "center spread" on 2 channels sources. I just tried it and like it on music, but not so much on dialogue. In my use case watching YouTube videos on the main TV. But it's always good to have options.

Center Spread is Dolby's lame remnant of the much more user configurable Center Width function* that used to come with Dolby Pro Logic II in music mode. I don't recall it ever really being intended for dialogue...you *want* that to be center channel-centric. It was meant for music.

*along with the Dimension and Panorama functions, also eliminated in DSU.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ProLogic II music center wide adjustment is amazing with a config FL-C-FR.
To me it is mandatory for my next AVR.

tpeter

without going through the entire thread how is this for the new xbox... can it do 120hz

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only got one update.
Maybe I did it later than you did.
And u are right. The option seems to only appear if the source is Dolby Digital(DD), which in my case is when I'm watching free-to-air stuff or youtube on my smart tv. When the source is Dolby Digital, the centre spread option is found under Setup - Audio - Surround Parameter. Enjoy!

Can someone check that it is also available when the input is a stereo recording, and the AVR is set to upmix it with Dolby Surround? (DSU)

It would make little sense to re-add Center Spread but forbid its use in DSU.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Can someone check that it is also available when the input is a stereo recording, and the AVR is set to upmix it with Dolby Surround? (DSU)

It would make little sense to re-add Center Spread but forbid its use in DSU.

You are right. Having Spotify on and switching to Dolby Surround sound mode also brings up Center Spread option in settings

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

I'm very far from being a technical/scientific or an experienced user.
I thought I'd try a small power amp (no room for large ones and no will to spend hundreds of bucks to experiment) with the 3600 for front L/R.
I know many would consider this to be a toy, but I've seen a lot of positive posts about it in various places including here (on the "Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?" thread)
This is the "toy":
https://www.aiyima.com/collections/...r-amplifier-aiyima-a04?variant=31092700119115
What I'm unsure of is how to set the POT level on this amp. I understand I need to measure something to get it right.
Be great is someone has some advise to do it in the simplest way.

Timbo2

I'm very far from being a technical/scientific or an experienced user.
I thought I'd try a small power amp (no room for large ones and no will to spend hundreds of bucks to experiment) with the 3600 for front L/R.
I know many would consider this to be a toy, but I've seen a lot of positive posts about it in various places including here (on the "Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?" thread)
This is the "toy":
https://www.aiyima.com/collections/...r-amplifier-aiyima-a04?variant=31092700119115
What I'm unsure of is how to set the POT level on this amp. I understand I need to measure something to get it right.
Be great is someone has some advise to do it in the simplest way.

I'm confused why you'd want to do this. The amp that's already in the AVR likely has more and cleaner power. The main reason you'd use an external amplifier would be to significantly upgrade the internal amp and/or allow for more power for the other surround/center channels. Most of these chip amps with external power supplies don't measure well at FTC power specifications.

DuncanTodd

I'm confused why you'd want to do this. The amp that's already in the AVR likely has more and cleaner power. The main reason you'd use an external amplifier would be to significantly upgrade the internal amp and/or allow for more power for the other surround/center channels. Most of these chip amps with external power supplies don't measure well at FTC power specifications.
Good question. Here's some excuses: 1) I'm a newbie. 2) I wanted to try something I never have that I read about often and the low cost and relatively high praises tempted me. 3) If I decide it's useless (which I probably will) I can always use it down the road for the extra 2 channels the 3600 allows as pre-outs. 4) Wanted to see if that could lower the heat those Denons produce. It get pretty toasty. I have a couple of fans though, so it keep cool now.

Shonuff66

Anyone find that using music streaming (via mobile app) sounds degraded compared to other sources (e.g. cd player)?

I did an a/b test on a few tracks, comparing the same songs in Amazon music streaming to cd player (analog in) and found the cd player to be significantly better. I know the streaming services are compressing the stream, but it shouldn't be as noticeable as what I heard. I have a feeling they're compressing again when streaming from the tablet to the AVR.

I want to move to a hardwire digital input from a tablet to stream Amazon music (or Spotify) - is this possible without additional hardware? I tried usb, didn't work.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone find that using music streaming (via mobile app) sounds degraded compared to other sources (e.g. cd player)?

I did an a/b test on a few tracks, comparing the same songs in Amazon music streaming to cd player (analog in) and found the cd player to be significantly better. I know the streaming services are compressing the stream, but it shouldn't be as noticeable as what I heard. I have a feeling they're compressing again when streaming from the tablet to the AVR.

I want to move to a hardwire digital input from a tablet to stream Amazon music (or Spotify) - is this possible without additional hardware? I tried usb, didn't work.
I don’t have the X3600 but do have an X3500 and and X8500. I was using Roon/Airplay 2 on the X3500 and didn’t think it was sounding as good as I thought it should. I should also note this was a completely unscientific observation. I didn’t use it very long as I couldn’t get Airplay 2 to sync rooms very well, so I went back to a Sonos connect using its digital out and it seemed to sound much better to me. Never tried it again after that. Results may or may not be accurate, but that was my limited experience. On the other hand, I have an x8500 in our theater and sometimes use roon/airplay there and have never had any complaints there.
Were you using the built in Heos, or sending audio via blutooth?

Benedium

Forum Donor

Tried turning off Restorer under Setup - Audio?

Also... not sure here but maybe worth trying...
At bottom of the Heos smartphone app, select the Music tab... then select Settings icon on top, then select My Devices, then switch Quality from Normal to High.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I did an a/b test on a few tracks, comparing the same songs in Amazon music streaming to cd player (analog in) and found the cd player to be significantly better.
Don't forget you have to match levels to within 0.25 db before you A/B otherwise all bets (listening impressions) are off. Pretty hard to do with 2 streaming services.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Don't forget you have to match levels to within 0.25 db before you A/B otherwise all bets (listening impressions) are off. Pretty hard to do with 2 streaming services.

Second that. I have my Spotify/Heos input source level at about -5db.

Shonuff66

I don’t have the X3600 but do have an X3500 and and X8500. I was using Roon/Airplay 2 on the X3500 and didn’t think it was sounding as good as I thought it should. I should also note this was a completely unscientific observation. I didn’t use it very long as I couldn’t get Airplay 2 to sync rooms very well, so I went back to a Sonos connect using its digital out and it seemed to sound much better to me. Never tried it again after that. Results may or may not be accurate, but that was my limited experience. On the other hand, I have an x8500 in our theater and sometimes use roon/airplay there and have never had any complaints there.
Were you using the built in Heos, or sending audio via blutooth?

Thankss! Using HEOS.

Regarding levels - agree that ideally an A/B test needs to be matched but I don't know how to get it that precise. But the difference was obvious and I used tracks I'm very familiar with. I'm also quite familiar with the sound you'd get after compressing these songs.

Sounds like Roon and Sonos Connect are options. Although I'd prefer setting up a direct connection (i.e. Tablet to USB-in) as long as it doesn't re-compress. I'll start a new thread on this.

SanDesh

Hi Folks!
Quick question. Is it possible to conduct hdmi cable test on x3600?

Sparkymarky

Looking to connect my Naim 2 channel power amp (nap 200 equivalent - which i use for dedicated 2 channel only music listening in another room) to the 3600h. Reason being, I need a pre-amp for the Naim as the naim is not an integrated amp and so there is no volume control etc and i figure the 3600 can take all the sources i could ever want to play through the Naim (streaming spotify, cd player, NAS, etc).

Q.1 Can i just connect the Naim to the 3600h zone 2 preout rcas? Is that the best option?
Fyi, the naim is listed as 0.7v sensitivity to deliver its 110w rms per channel, which will keep me under the 1.5v pre out sinad drop off mentioned in this thread, yes?

Nb the 3600 would still be doing 9.1 in the main living room (although not at the same time).

Q.2 IS there a better way to connect this up? Eg am i better using a digital out from the 3600 and piping/sending that into the room with the Naim in it? I guess this depends on the quality of the inbuilt dac/preamp section in the 3600 and so whether to use it or just take a digital out and feed to something better? Topping etc. If i used the digital out, i take it i can still use and send everything connected to the 3600 to the Naim inc streaming?

Q.3 will my zone 2 naim system benefit from the 3600's Eq? i.e can i eq zone 2 seperate to zone 1 using 3600 audyssey? I dont see any way to save different eq settings?

q4. I gather that if i connect rcas to the zone 2 preouts to feed the naim, that the internal amps of the denon will still be active on that channel and the 11 channel 'hack' will not be of use as that only disables the 3600 amps on the main L&R channels, correct?

Any thoughts? Main objective is Naim sq. And if i can use the 3600 and save buying extra kit then all the better. I would spend some cash if it gave me a noticeably better sq, eg buy a dac to use from the 3600 digital out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom