• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Crane

Forum Donor
Glad to see this measures well, i bought this for my main system as a stand in until something better came along. I've been pretty happy with it so far, have it connected as pre to benchmark amp and nord amp to my revel studio2s and m126BE. I definitely noticed that clipping with pre-outs at first if you dont have the 11.1 channel mode enabled.

BTW, this goes on sale often down to 800$ range, and you definitely need that app for audyssey to get it to work well.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very respectable measured performance, probably better than most can hear and at a reasonable price. The only thing is when I look at the back of an AVR I feel faint. An important review because it identifies a stand out product.

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would love to know if the preouts stay clean at 2V in the 11 channel mode when signal is run out of some of the other channel amps.

From Audioholics review :
E29EC2DE-672E-4BAD-90AD-AAA5682C3C54.jpeg

clean up to 4V ! Wow ! But not sure if they measured all the output channels

gvl

Major Contributor
Does the DSP engine on these expose enough user settings to make an active crossover per channel?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can but Denon specs seem to be accurate so you could go by their multichannel numbers.
Denon does not state this, they state the wattage to each channel, but not when used together. I know a lot of Marantz models state 70% for 5ch compared to 2ch.

Audioholics measured the X3500H and for 5ch it was ~65% compared to 2ch.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Can this be used for bi/tri-amping?
You can do this with a Thrift store $50 Marantz sr4300/4500. Has direct line level inputs for 6 amps spec . 95w @ 6 ohms .08 distortion

Reactions: gvl

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Very decent one at last but would love to see an AVR breaking - 100dB. How about an Arcam one, preferably from the HDA range, AVR10 would do @amirm ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

A.West

Forum Donor
I have the Marantz 6014 which I think is a slightly newer version almost alike to the tested Denon, so I hope this all applies. I'm only using an external amp for 2 mains, and the AVR for center and 2 rears. Plus dual subs. I've got a 5channel Hypex based amp on order, so am interested in eventually going to pre-pro mode. How exactly do I go into 11 channel mode to bypass the amps? Doesn't the AVR and Audyssey get upset when it discovers i only have 5.2 speakers?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How exactly do I go into 11 channel mode to bypass the amps?
It is under Speakers->Manual Setting-> Amp Assign. On top there is a selection for 11 channel.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Marantz 6014 which I think is a slightly newer version almost alike to the tested Denon, so I hope this all applies. I'm only using an external amp for 2 mains, and the AVR for center and 2 rears. Plus dual subs. I've got a 5channel Hypex based amp on order, so am interested in eventually going to pre-pro mode. How exactly do I go into 11 channel mode to bypass the amps? Doesn't the AVR and Audyssey get upset when it discovers i only have 5.2 speakers?
I think you can only disconnect the L/R. @amirm is it possible to test the center channel which wouldn’t be disconnected from the amp to see what the other channels test like?

rvsixer

puting it in perspective, $1000ish is not bad for what it has to ofer, 11 amped channels with both decent power and performance
Device has 9 internal amps. Totally agree on the rest. I have been eyeing this unit, thanks to both Amir and whomever sent it in for the hands-on test :) !!!

Bear123

It's a shame Denon didn't design this with an amp bypass for the center channel as well, since most folks using this AVR with an external amp will use a 3 channel for the LCR, not just the L/R. Center channel probably receives the most benefit from external amp in a home theater situation, but would also be of benefit for multi channel music.

This will be a fantastic bargain when it becomes last years model for $599 or so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think you can only disconnect the L/R. @amirm is it possible to test the center channel which wouldn’t be disconnected from the amp to see what the other channels test like?
I noted in the review that without disconnecting it will start to clip at 1.5 volt. Pushing it up to 2 volt results in SINAD of 70 or lower.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noted in the review that without disconnecting it will start to clip at 1.5 volt. Pushing it up to 2 volt results in SINAD of 70 or lower.
Thanks, missed that. So without disconnecting it is similar to the x3500 performance it sounds like.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Overall, I am pleased to put the Denon AVR-X3600H on my recommended list. It is the best of a bunch by a good margin.
Interesting how far this amp came from last years X3500?
I wonder if someones began to pay attention to your reviews?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying to figure out if it’s the power supply causing the problem or parasitic coupling from the amp to the preamp. If the amp is disconnected but other channels are driven will the preamp output be clean at 2V?

Top Bottom