• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Good to see an AVR putting down solid numbers.

xhattan

Cheap denons are awesome! Got 4300 used couple of years ago for $500, inside and outside looks exactly the same as this thing. Same power, same 11 preouts, 2 subs, I would guess 90% same internals, Xt32 with app, same low res UI.. They are mass producing these, I doubt they design them from the ground up. I would also advise looking into last year's comparable model which is going to be 2/3 the price and (just guessing here) perform comparably.

Did it get hot while measuring? Mine gets hot even when running just stereo preouts and 2 subs, but it never showed any signs of strain in subjective performance.

Actually, the x3500 was measured not so long ago, with disappointing results. So Denon must have done a reingeneering on this one.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In AVR's like this, is it possible to disconnect power to the amplifier section to reduce power consumption and operate them as pre-processors?

maty

Major Contributor
Hummmm.... the equivalent in Marantz:

MARANTZ SR6013
[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/kino-domowe/amplitunery-av/3037-marantz-sr6013

https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&u=https://audio.com.pl/testy/kino-domowe/amplitunery-av/3037-marantz-sr6013
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://audio.com.pl/testy/kino-domowe/amplitunery-av/3037-marantz-sr6013

dz0xMTIyJmg9MTAwMA==_src_53876-amplituner-marantz-sr6013-audiocompl-fot3.jpg

Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 0.29
Dynamics [dB] 104
Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted filter, for 1W) [dB] 82

The SNR-A is very different :rolleyes:

SirMaster

In AVR's like this, is it possible to disconnect power to the amplifier section to reduce power consumption and operate them as pre-processors?

In higher end like Denon 8500 yes. But in this one I think the answer is no.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe all of the current 11 channel processors can do this for the L/R channels. I don’t think the other channels can be disconnected however (someone correct me if I am wrong). The only exception is the X8500 which can disconnect/reassign all any channel and also run the entire unit in “preamp” mode which disconnects all channels.

spacevector

Forum Donor
I should also mention that these AVR's seem like superb value compared to other boutique offerings. This $1100 machines seems to provide:
  • 11 channel pre-out (DAC) with immersive surround decoding
  • UHD video switching capabilities
  • Digital room correction
  • 9 channels of amplification with respectable power output and quality
  • Streaming support for apps like Amazon HD, Spotify, etc.
  • Supports Amazon and Google Assistants (not sure what it means but seems advanced)
  • Hi-Res Audio (again whatever that means)
  • All with 3yr manufacturer warranty to boot
So this is a streamer, preamp, DAC and amplifier - all-in-one device sold for $1100 retail. Hard to understand how they can make any money.

spacevector

Forum Donor
The Denon X8500 does this. You can disconnect or reassign any amp.
Edit: I don’t know if it actually turns the amps off to lower consumption or not on the disconnected amps.
I believe all of the current 11 channel processors can do this for the L/R channels. I don’t think the other channels can be disconnected however (someone correct me if I am wrong). The only exception is the X8500 which can disconnect/reassign all any channel and also run the entire unit in “preamp” mode which disconnects all channels.
Thanks brother. I meant more like - is there a simple cable that can be disconnected internally to power down the amplifier module while still being able to use the pre-pro functionality?

Shakes

Forum Donor
Does anyone else find it incredible that the X3600 outperforms the Marantz 7705/8805 processors? And you get 7 channels of good amplification.

I can say first hand that I have been thrilled with mine and was not disappointed overall when it replaced my 8805. This just confirms my belief that they had really stepped up their game compared to past products.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
My experience with Denon AVR is that they don't get that hot listening to music for long time. It's when you play movies and have the video processing features engaged that it really gets warm. It's the chip that handles the video processing unit that gets hot, not the amplifier section which is usually running pretty cool. I was using KEF LS50 at the time, so it was definitely pushing the amp section quite a bit!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to know if the preouts stay clean at 2V in the 11 channel mode when signal is run out of some of the other channel amps.

Biblob

Is it possible you can do a power sweep for 4 and 8 ohm for 4 channels? :)
This one seems like a good performer!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did it get hot while measuring? Mine gets hot even when running just stereo preouts and 2 subs, but it never showed any signs of strain in subjective performance.
It did. It ran warm even before I tested the amps.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Should be possible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible you can do a power sweep for 4 and 8 ohm for 4 channels? :)
This one seems like a good performer!
I can but Denon specs seem to be accurate so you could go by their multichannel numbers.

Top Bottom