• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decware folded horns

JohnnyAudio

I'm building a set of Decware folded horns with Lii P-10 drivers...

The DFH are coming along. They are made of MFD with a (for now) plywood baffle. The MDF was cut on a new Bessie CNC machine and assembled by me and my cabinet builder. The first unit took awhile to figure out and the second unit was glued up in 3 hours. Steve's prints are very good but I will send him some suggestions to modify the prints for easier assembly. The speaker baffle could be better if made with 1" material because the P-10 driver is pretty heavy. TIP: When installing the threaded inserts in the baffle, use a drill press to make sure they go in straight. I think I will make another set with round stone baffles.

So, today is the final paint. We will not use the "SkufX" as planned but a fine oil base matte black.

These cabinets will be very good I think because we just tap the "tree stump pillow" inside and hear a lovely thump emanating from the horn opening. These boxes are wooden amplifiers!

I encourage people dreaming of building these to do it, it's very satisfying and I'm almost sad that the building process is complete. We will test them with a UFO in the shop. My shop people are not permitted to listen to musical instruments, only acapella gospel singing, so I have to find some of that type of music. All in all, I'm very excited in this exercise in obsession.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 118

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look forward to seeing some measurements. Even though single driver speakers can be “beamy”, the latest single driver tech being made today theoretically can measure well in a perfect sweet spot.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Huh? Is this a company rule?
Some of the Amish sects around here forbid musical instruments (except, oddly, harmonicas). They also are heavily involved in furniture, woodworking, and construction. So I'll guess that's the issue.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

I look forward to seeing some measurements. Even though single driver speakers can be “beamy”, the latest single driver tech being made today theoretically can measure well in a perfect sweet spot.
I don't know if I can measure but Steve Decker may have some data on the website and Youtube.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My shop people are not permitted to listen to musical instruments, only acapella gospel singing, so I have to find some of that type of music.
Might be pushing the limits (since lots and lots of digital audio tracks were used, and it's arguably a secular song) but this one really wowed me recently: Jacob Collier - Bridge over Troubled Water - No instrumental tracks, but it's almost a full range recording anyway.

This one I'm pretty sure is not secular? (I don't know latin) and I personally think the stereo image on it is awesome.

Very cool project, if you do get the chance to make measurements it would be quite cool.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
only a little "Jews" harp on this masterpiece

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

Might be pushing the limits (since lots and lots of digital audio tracks were used, and it's arguably a secular song) but this one really wowed me recently: Jacob Collier - Bridge over Troubled Water - No instrumental tracks, but it's almost a full range recording anyway.

This one I'm pretty sure is not secular? (I don't know latin) and I personally think the stereo image on it is awesome.

Very cool project, if you do get the chance to make measurements it would be quite cool.
Thank for the tips, I've got to come up with a good one for the demo in their shop.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I read it as some kind of policy. Out of curiosity how exactly will you play the CD or stream or whatever? No instruments allowed in any music played on the speaker but electronic equipment to get the signal to the speakers are ? I did misunderstand but now I'm trying to understand.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I read it as some kind of policy. Out of curiosity how exactly will you play the CD or stream or whatever? No instruments allowed in any music played on the speaker but electronic equipment to get the signal to the speakers are ? I did misunderstand but now I'm trying to understand.
I think it's more like, the music they're supposed to listen to is a factor, but I assume they're not prohibited from listening to any recorded music at all.

I am not sure how it works for these folks, but often there is a distinction made for being in the presence of technology vs. actually using it. Like, for example, I doubt they are required to leave the room if someone turns on electric lights. So it's probably the same for a WiiM playing music or whatever. But they wouldn't be inclined to mess with it themselves, presumably.

I'm speculating here... maybe OP will just be doing demos and the music will be off when he's not there.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

My friends family has a 4M/yr business with horse and buggy and a Dodge Viper. No internet or musical instruments but only church singing. The did have a non believer that used a phone to access gospel favorites. Fun family. I will just play a few tracks off the laptop thru a XONE92 and amped by a Decware UFO triode amp. 2.3 watts per channel to drive 100 dB per watt speakers. Should shake the tree.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

I think it's more like, the music they're supposed to listen to is a factor, but I assume they're not prohibited from listening to any recorded music at all.

I am not sure how it works for these folks, but often there is a distinction made for being in the presence of technology vs. actually using it. Like, for example, I doubt they are required to leave the room if someone turns on electric lights. So it's probably the same for a WiiM playing music or whatever. But they wouldn't be inclined to mess with it themselves, presumably.

I'm speculating here... maybe OP will just be doing demos and the music will be off when he's not there.
It's a praise thing as you know.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a praise thing as you know.
I would say I don't know a thing about these folks, just speculating based on what you've mentioned here. :)

Sounds like an interesting situation you've got over there, though. Luckily there is some really nice-sounding music in the allowed genres either way.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see so it's what's being played not what it's playing on. Interesting, use a computer to access music with no mechanical instruments. I know there are Amish around here who will ride in a car but not drive a car. Use modern farm implements but adapted to be pulled by horse or mule. Similar situation I guess.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

I see so it's what's being played not what it's playing on. Interesting, use a computer to access music with no mechanical instruments. I know there are Amish around here who will ride in a car but not drive a car. Use modern farm implements but adapted to be pulled by horse or mule. Similar situation I guess.
It's an interesting evolution of culture.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

I'm building a set of Decware folded horns with Lii P-10 drivers...

The DFH are coming along. They are made of MFD with a (for now) plywood baffle. The MDF was cut on a new Bessie CNC machine and assembled by me and my cabinet builder. The first unit took awhile to figure out and the second unit was glued up in 3 hours. Steve's prints are very good but I will send him some suggestions to modify the prints for easier assembly. The speaker baffle could be better if made with 1" material because the P-10 driver is pretty heavy. TIP: When installing the threaded inserts in the baffle, use a drill press to make sure they go in straight. I think I will make another set with round stone baffles.

So, today is the final paint. We will not use the "SkufX" as planned but a fine oil base matte black.

These cabinets will be very good I think because we just tap the "tree stump pillow" inside and hear a lovely thump emanating from the horn opening. These boxes are wooden amplifiers!

I encourage people dreaming of building these to do it, it's very satisfying and I'm almost sad that the building process is complete. We will test them with a UFO in the shop. My shop people are not permitted to listen to musical instruments, only acapella gospel singing, so I have to find some of that type of music. All in all, I'm very excited in this exercise in obsession.
The folded horns are complete! Here are some more photo's.
I'm very satisfied with the build and the sound, it took a couple of weeks for the drivers to relax and really perform.
I've tried powering then with a Decware SEUFO84 and later a Douk 300B. The Decware SEUFO84 wins on sonic performance but believe it or not the Douk 300B sounds real nice with my set of Lii S-10's in the stone open baffle.

The folded horns have a great stereo image and a lurking deep bass, that is interesting and pleasant to listen to. At 100 dB, the drivers are loud and sound best at a medium volume. My kids, who are musicians and love listening give these speakers two thumbs up! I will probably sell this set and build a more artsy set, adding a round stone (flat polished marble) front baffle and cherry veneer finish and they will weigh close to 200 lbs each. If you are considering building a set, the build is rather complicated and will keep you busy for awhile. I think even the Lii S-10 will sound great as an option to the P-10's.

DSCN0072.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG
DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN0083.JPG
DSCN0091.JPG

Top Bottom