• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

m8o

Forum Donor
It's actually $3400 if you're a member of ClubDCA. I'm not sure but I believe you may have to own or owned a previous pair.

Big question tho: still glued on earpads?
So if I've owned four, mine would be practically free then ( 4 * $600 ).

Kewl! -lol

I do like the pad rolling I get to do with my Ether Flow C. Didnt know that about the smaller Aeon form factor.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I still don't know how to feel about this. I can't just be happy about this as I should. It's certainly great to see such a good performer being measured.

There are some models around the transition period from Mr speakers to DCA, the tuning had too little 3khz. Not an issue here.

I'm also glad to see a no EQ recommendation here. I hope in the future, this is used as a reference that all other EQ is compared to not just boosting bass over the target.

What I want to see is at least more headphones accurate in frequency response. Not necessarily the distortion but frequency response. EQ can fix most issues but it's eventually not a good message to the manufacturers that they can get away with half complete designs. FR is the single most important specification in any audio component.

This is expensive. No doubt. At a lower price range Sundara 2020 does pretty close minus the bass boost and it's open back. For many people I do think Sundara will do just fine. So there's definitely hope for this level of performance at much affordable price.

A issue we will see is that when manufacturers trying to hug the target curve, they may not sound like that on our heads. It is not like electronics, the condition the headphones are used will not be the same as the dummy head. Someone has to acknowledge and weigh the deviation on certain frequencies and how to make sure for most people the differences don't become overly negative. Eg it's better to have a bit less 3-5khz than too much. It's better to have a dip at 7k for some people rather than bump at 9k for others.

In the end after Tyll retirement, I had not seen much improvement in tonality for headphones. But I hope this will change in the future.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to say it even tho I knew where you were going... was proud of my analogy... it's the little things...
More like comparing a bottle rocket with a Space X rocket? Seriously the Aeon RT Open are petty good- clearly not on the level of the Stealth but certainly in the same family.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I sell all of my headphones and some equipment, maybe I can buy a pair, lol.
I have the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Open X, don't use EQ, just the 2 notch filter, and love them, probably my favorite headphone, how much better can these be??
Edit: I meant the one notch filter, not two notch.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dan Clark what is the warranty on the Stealth headphones?
From the Dan Clark Audio web site.>
warranty.png

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the just announced Dan Clark Audio Stealth closed back planar magnetic headphone. Company was kind enough to share with me a couple of samples which I have been testing and playing with in the last couple of weeks. It costs US $3999.

The price made me think this was a giant headphone but I was shocked how it was packed in a very small case when folded:

View attachment 148478

Everything is soft touch and buttery smooth as you hold the headphone. Fit is very comfortable for me and I have no complaints to report.

The Stealth headphone uses a special “acoustic metamaterial” is placed after the driver to tune and optimize its performance.:
View attachment 148483

Metamaterial is usually a 3-D construct that has better properties than any solid base material. It can be designed to perform a number of acoustic functions from diffusion (to deal with standing waves for example) to resonances (acting as filters to tune the frequency response). We saw an example of such metamaterial in the KEF LS50 Meta speaker I recently reviewed where it was used to reduce reflections within the enclosure better than any normal acoustic material. The down side is cost which as you can imagine is contributing to the retail cost of Stealth.

Stealth weighs 415 grams:
View attachment 148481

The cup is asymmetrical and driver is mounted at a slant. It has an inside height of 74 mm and width of 50 mm. Maximum depth is 29 mm.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was somewhat variable. I spent quite a bit of time messing with them and what you see is the best I could get.

Dan Clark Stealth Measurements
Sit back and be prepared to be amazed:

View attachment 148482

Yes! We have the highest compliance to our target curve of any headphone we have ever tested! The bit of deviation is dependent on mounting the unit on the fixture. The only deviation is a small bump between 100 and 160 Hz which company feels is necessary to give balance to the headphone sound.

Here is the relative frequency response which gives you a better sense of how close we are to our target:
View attachment 148484

The first sample I received had stunningly low distortion measurements. Alas, a small tweak had to be made to it which bumped the distortion a bit in low frequencies. The result is still impressive especially if you look at the level of distortion higher in the range:

View attachment 148485

For kicks, I measured the distortion at 94 dBSPL at 2 kHz and converted it to SINAD. That produces 81 dB! It is incredible that a mechanical device is able to produce so little distortion especially when you consider that this value is the sum of the distortion in the headphone plus the measurement microphone and measurement noise.

Here is the same in absolute dB:
View attachment 148487

Notice the wide gap below our reference of 40 dB above 100 Hz. And how it is frequency independent hinting at lack of resonances. The Stealth is a league of its own here.

Group delay is very clean above low bass:
View attachment 148488

Company asked me to measure the impulse response and its fast settling so here it is:
View attachment 148489

Impedance is flat and low as you can expect from this type of technology:
View attachment 148490

You need a beefy headphone amplifier to drive the Stealth:
View attachment 148491

I was fine using my RME ADI-2 DAC so it doesn't have to be crazy power.

Dan Clark Stealth Listening Tests
I usually measure headphones before listening but this time I was first asked how it sounded so I decided to listen. That was a mistake as I could not stop listening to them to do the measurements! This is one of the most transformative experiences I have had in audio! What an incredibly clean, dynamic sound with absolute correctness in tonality. Naturally there was no need to apply any EQ.

On spatial qualities, it is also excellent which is surprising for a closed back headphone. The Sennheiser HD800S may be a tad better but I consider what that headphone provides to be artificial, albeit of the rare, nice kind. Not so with Stealth. Every bit of spatial quality when it comes to separation of instruments and left and right positioning sound natural and normal like the world's best audio system.

Conclusions
Both objectively and subjectively the Stealth makes a leap forward in headphone sound reproduction and possibly for any audio reproduction. It is that impressive of a product. You all know that I don't usually waste a lot of words praising products. Mostly because I get so many excellent products to test and have my dream stereo that not much impresses me. But the Stealth did just that. It changed my outlook on how much better your experience can be listening to these headphones.

In some ways the Stealth reminded me of OLED TVs. The first time you watch them and see the inky blacks and wonderful contrast, you have regret that all that time you didn't get to see what your content really looked like. Stealth does that for sound reproduction.

There is no getting around the high cost of the headphone though. I grilled the company left and right on why this headphone costs so much and whether the cost could come down. My wish and hope is that it does come down in price to make it more affordable to more people. For now, not only is this some you should buy if you can afford it, but if you are an audio company and want to know what best in class, "correct" sound reproduction is like, you need to buy this headphone. You will finally have a true reference for quality and tonality.

It is my pleasure to give the highest praise and recommendation I possibly can to Dan Clark Stealth Headphones.

P.S. A condition of sending this headphone to me for review was that it would have to be returned to the company. It would be a sad, sad day when that happens!

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:

• The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same products are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
Good L/R match.

This headphone does not really need EQing...
I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached for those who still want to try.

Score no EQ: 77.8
Score with EQ: 90.0

Code:
Dan Clark Stea APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
August202021-094250

Preamp: -2.1 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 108.23 Hz Gain -2.70 dB Q 1.13
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 282.93 Hz Gain -1.05 dB Q 2.63
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 540.35 Hz Gain 1.29 dB Q 2.57
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 981.29 Hz Gain -1.60 dB Q 1.82
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3588.49 Hz Gain 2.06 dB Q 2.70

Dan Clark Stea APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• Dan Clark Stea APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 93

Zim

Forum Donor
Unsure if this loophole will be closed but... If you're a non-DCA member, you can essentially buy an Aeon RT for $500, become a Club DCA member from that purchase, get 15% off the Stealth at some point, which will be $3400. That alone totals to $3900, which is cheaper than buying the Stealth.

EDIT: Math mistake.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Gentlemen, this is no humbug".

Great review for a State of the Art product. Unfortunately, I cannot justify its cost considering how much more I like my speakers (and I live in a single family house far from neighbors, so no limits to time-of-day and dBs).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Simple. Have protocol for proof of vaccination or alternatively a recent test proving no covid infection before admittance. That's what is about to happen in Canada.
CES just announced requirement for vaccination proof. At the same time CEDIA show is still going on shortly but saw that Harman has pulled out due to Covid concern.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
CES just announced requirement for vaccination proof. At the same time CEDIA show is still going on shortly but saw that Harman has pulled out due to Covid concern.
We need to get back to a semblance of normality and that requires protecting each other and not being selfish and paranoid. They need to do something so events don't turn into super-spreader get togethers. Testing and vaccination certificates should work well. Strange is that anti-vaccers in Canada don't want to be tested and they want entry privileges and as if their rights are being infringed upon. :facepalm:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
We need to get back to a semblance of normality and that requires protecting each other and not being selfish and paranoid. They need to do something so events don't turn into super-spreader get togethers. Testing and vaccination certificates should work well. Strange is that anti-vaccers in Canada don't want to be tested and they want entry privileges and as if their rights are being infringed upon. :facepalm:

People should start turning that famous Stan Lee quote from his Spiderman comic into a life long mantra instead.

"With great freedom (rights) comes great responsibility".

Top Bottom