• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And? Is it just based on performance alone or labor and material cost, eg each pair us custom tuned by Mr. Clark himself by inserting micron thickness platinum shims to tame down resonances in driver?
Basically yes. :)

Just ordered my first DCA product because of this review. My wallet may not be deep enough for the Slealth but this is definitely a company I want to do business with and I think the Aeon closed RT will do nicely while I wait to amass riches and for the Stealth tech to trickle down. Way to go DCA!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just ordered my first DCA product because of this review. My wallet may not be deep enough for the Slealth but this is definitely a company I want to do business with and I think the Aeon closed RT will do nicely while I wait to amass riches and for the Stealth tech to trickle down. Way to go DCA!
That's the key message I meant to put in the review. We have the first company to fully adopt research and engineering for headphones. All others are playing around but Dan Clark is committed and executing. So no wonder the results are so good.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG are we seriously seeing a $4k headphone with an impeccable design and measurements to boot. Mr. Clark you have outdone yourself with this design and implementation. Kudos.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is rare in audio for a very expensive component to actually be the very best in its category.

Congrats, Dan Clark!

5 Gold Stars.jpg

testp

nice.. somone should make headphones for that little panther & it should measure well...

peniku8

Forum Donor
Been reading about metamaterial and its effects on (sound) waves two or three years ago after I somehow ended up reading about university students trying out acoustic lenses, after I read an article about Cherenkov radiation (in nuclear reactors!). I immediately knew this is going to be the next big thing in all of audio reproduction. Pretty sure you can do anything you want with it, which means you will be able to accomplish listening experiences that were not possible before.
Sadly I'm lacking the means and contacts of researching this amazing technology, so I'm bound to designing traditional speakers at the moment.
I wonder if this will also completely replace horns and how thick the material has to be in order to have an effect on a certain wavelength.
I am incredibly excited that we're seeing the first products with this technology on the market now. You could build speakers with a flat response from all angles with this stuff. The possibilities are endless!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really nice to see a small audio company being a positive exception in mostly overpriced poor "high end" engineering, even more at headphones. Hope Mr. Clark will continue his success story and there will technology diffusion in the future also to lower price models, despite being a loudspeaker listener I could be tempted to buy something like that in at approximately one grand, maybe in 3-5 years from now? Time will tell...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm is the bass distortion noticeable?
Not at all. Everything sounds stunningly clean. I didn't want to put such subjective descriptors in the review and get called on it. :) But the level of detail and clarity of it constantly surprised me over and over again. It was one of the most pronounced things in the listening tests.

OctoEmu

Not at all. Everything sounds stunningly clean. I didn't want to put such subjective descriptors in the review and get called on it. :) But the level of detail and clarity of it constantly surprised me over and over again. It was one of the most pronounced things in the listening tests.
just a theory, but could the Fletcher Munson curve be the guide for absolute level of distortion?

Last edited:

Hemi-Demon

@amirm

First off excellent review and a great job by the designer.

Would it be possible to place the cans on the measuring unit and play music at about 80-90db and detail how much sound leaks, when you stand back a few steps? I own a few DCA closed cans and while I love the sound, they leak quite a bit, defeating the purpose of "closed" headphones. Thanks, although I am angry that I need to source $4,000 to buy more gear:eek:

Top Bottom