• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I wonder if, for someone like me who has no experience soldering audio equipment innards, a Hirose-to-3.5mm adapter would be a safer but still effective alternate solution -- something like one of these perhaps? https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Hirose-4-Pin-Replacement-Adapter/dp/B004QJRAXG or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microphone...k-to-Audio-Technica-Hirose-4-Pin/143564347243
That would add quite a bit of bulk to your headphones in my opinion. I would say that the mod itself is quite easy. It was easier to mod the headphones than it was for me to purchase the bare Hirose connector from Dan Clark audio to build my own cable. I tried that first and I failed. I really hate that connector for DIY. I would say that my soldering skills are pretty basic and this was easy. But I have certainly soldered a few things. I'm just not very good.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My DAP has a balanced out of 4.0Vrms. Would that be able to power these closed cans?

If its an Astell & Kern they are notoriously current limited- but see Dan Clark's answer for more comprehensive details.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
If its an Astell & Kern they are notoriously current limited- but see Dan Clark's answer for more comprehensive details.
My subjective opinion is that my Qudelix 5K has just barely enough headroom in my opinion to power my Aeon Flow2 Closed. This is what I use most frequently to drive these even though I have more powerful, non battery options.
1614878634380.png

sacguy231

Finally got my Drop Aeon Closed X (same as Aeon Closed RT) yesterday and am putting it through its paces today. I'll start by saying I probably won't order from Drop again; the whole process was glacial and the ship date kept moving out with no updates or explanation. Not to mention that Drop's packing was lackluster so the headphone box was shucking around in transit the entire time and suffered some wear (1st world problem I know, but still...). So far, I'm really enjoying these headphones. I had the Ether Flow Open last year and sold them because I just could never get used to the clamp force. These have a moderate clamp, although to my head it feels a *bit* less clampy. Perhaps that's down to the earpad shape and material, or perhaps the clamp is indeed a bit lighter. Anyway, comfort so far is good and isolation is good too. Since I need to spend a bit more time to develop a better opinion, I'll just say that the sound is excellent - fast tight bass and an overall pleasant tuning (I prefer the white single-notch filter in place). Considering their price, +/- $500, I think these are a nice value. And since I'm a home setup user I'll likely need to look into a longer 3 meter cable, though the included cable feels nice and seems a bit less stiff than the cable I recall from my Ether Flow. I'll hop back here in some days with more thoughts but I'm enjoying these quite a bit! :)

Last edited:

HEPBO3AH

That is likely caused by anemic headphone amp driving it. With a powerful amp, I have no concerns at all in that regard.
I'm really curious as to what would be enough power in your opinion?
Eg. is amp with max output 48mW at 33ohm enough?
IDK how to tell since I don't have ability to compare and I'm not really experienced audiophile.

jannek

I'm really curious as to what would be enough power in your opinion?
Eg. is amp with max output 48mW at 33ohm enough?

I don't know how loud you like to listen, but 48mW at 33 Ohm IS what I call anemic. This is rather a cellphone than an amplifier. Seen this?

Nitrium

Finally got my Drop Aeon Closed X (same as Aeon Closed RT) yesterday and am putting it through its paces today. I'll start by saying I probably won't order from Drop again; the whole process was glacial and the ship date kept moving out with no updates or explanation. Not to mention that Drop's packing was lackluster so the headphone box was shucking around in transit the entire time and suffered some wear (1st world problem I know, but still...). So far, I'm really enjoying these headphones. I had the Ether Flow Open last year and sold them because I just could never get used to the clamp force. These have a moderate clamp, although to my head it feels a *bit* less clampy. Perhaps that's down to the earpad shape and material, or perhaps the clamp is indeed a bit lighter. Anyway, comfort so far is good and isolation is good too. Since I need to spend a bit more time to develop a better opinion, I'll just say that the sound is excellent - fast tight bass and an overall pleasant tuning (I prefer the white single-notch filter in place). Considering their price, +/- $500, I think these are a nice value. And since I'm a home setup user I'll likely need to look into a longer 3 meter cable, though the included cable feels nice and seems a bit less stiff than the cable I recall from my Ether Flow. I'll hop back here in some days with more thoughts but I'm enjoying these quite a bit! :)

Didn't it come in a Dan Clark or Mr. Speakers case? The Open I got a few months ago came pretty well packaged. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, btw :(

sacguy231

Didn't it come in a Dan Clark or Mr. Speakers case? The Open I got a few months ago came pretty well packaged. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, btw :(
Mine came in a Mr. Speakers case, guess they have a lot of old cases in their inventory :) The headphones are great, so no regrets, though it's a shame that Drop provides a pretty lackluster experience. Day 2 and I'm still enjoying these quite a bit.

Fish17

Glad to see the Aeon Flow RT's performed so well - I own them and enjoy listening to them.

Have a pair of the new Aeon Flow 2 Noire on order. Should have them next week. Hope they measure and perform as well.
Did you notice a difference between the RT and the Aeon 2? I love the folding gimble design for added portability but it's really hard to justify a 80% markup or $400 in cost.

salty_signor

New here.
Been snooping the forum for about 6 months now and based on, well many factors, I've switch some things up, but ended up getting these headphones based on this review.

I haven't had them long, delivered yesterday, but a very impressive headphone. Just for reference I have owned AKG K553, AKG k712 pro, and Stax L-300's.

Sadly the headphone dac/amp I was looking to get hasn't arrived yet so I'm using my focusrite to power them, and seems to be good enough for now.

Between Amirm's eq and Maiky76's I prefer Amirm's by a long shot, maybe it just depends on preference and genre of music.
Anyways, after all of that I just wanted to thank Dan Clark Audio for a fantastic headphone and Amirm for the in depth review.

I will continue to lurk from the shadows.

Fish17

These look good but I’m concerned about powering them, I would mostly use these with my cell and work laptop would the newly reviewed Hidizs S9 provide enough juice?

based on another post the Hidizs S9 has a hard current limit at about 60 mA RMS. Here's what kind of power you need to drive the ÆON RT Closed:

Last edited:

ririt

These look good but I’m concerned about powering them, I would mostly use these with my cell and work laptop would the newly reviewed Hidizs S9 provide enough juice?

based on another post the Hidizs S9 has a hard current limit at about 60 mA RMS. Here's what kind of power you need to drive the ÆON RT Closed:
I find this table pretty optimistic. Aeon RT definitively needs a beefy power amp. Messages from different threads suggest that the Fiio BTR5 or the Qudelix 5k may be OK but a bigger (and more expensive...) portable amp like the Ifi Audio micro idsd signature will be much more suitable.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don´t understand the table. How can 100 dB be considered "moderate" and 110 "dB" "fairly loud" (both beyond "safe", of course)?

markanini

Major Contributor
Nothing wrong with listening at those levels as long as you manage your duration.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What i mean: From my perspective, 100 dB already is way too loud for almost everything and in no way "moderate". 110 dB is completely off, deafening and damaging, and in no way "fairly loud".
So: If this table would be true, it would mean
1. the labels are misleading.
2. and related to this review: I don´t need a powerful amp for this headphone.

But i think the table doesn´t match with Amir´s measurements and with what Dan Clark said. That´s why it confuses me. Context: I have a Qudelix 5k and just ordered a Aeon 2 Noire. I planned on getting a balanced cable, but IF the table would be true, i probably would be fine with the 3.5mm unbalanced. I will see/hear for myself in a few days.

ririt

What i mean: From my perspective, 100 dB already is way too loud for almost everything and in no way "moderate". 110 dB is completely off, deafening and damaging, and in no way "fairly loud".
So: If this table would be true, it would mean
1. the labels are misleading.
2. and related to this review: I don´t need a powerful amp for this headphone.

But i think the table doesn´t match with Amir´s measurements and with what Dan Clark said. That´s why it confuses me. Context: I have a Qudelix 5k and just ordered a Aeon 2 Noire. I planned on getting a balanced cable, but IF the table would be true, i probably would be fine with the 3.5mm unbalanced. I will see/hear for myself in a few days.
I am highly interested in your feedback. As you, I am confused by the info provided by various sources (Dan Clark / Amir / Soundstage) on the Aeon Noire sensitivity. I am looking forward hearing from you about how loud is the Aeon Noire when powered through unbalanced or balanced outputs of the Qudelix

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don´t understand the table. How can 100 dB be considered "moderate" and 110 "dB" "fairly loud" (both beyond "safe", of course)?

Agreed, attached is from WHO.

85dB is safe for up to 8 hours.

100dB recommended for up to 15 minutes max.

I personally can't even listen at 85dB for more than 15mins.

I'm usually around 70-75dB.

184FB17D-FF88-46E3-9401-85985992F203.jpeg

Top Bottom