• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Nano Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 79 40.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 89 45.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 5.1%

• Total voters

Esidemoken

@Blorg
By sound signature I meant neutral not exactly the same as the headphone, but indeed I think the distortion problem is not as general a problem as it seems, I follow many youtubers who are very detailed and do not mention this problem with the headphone. I had considered the Sundara but since I can spend a little more I considered the Ananda nano since many recommend it as the most logical upgrade to the Sundara.

Verig

Anandas have much better soundstage than Sundara or 400's. Personally I'd never consider anything below Ananda.
Headphone measurements are pretty interesting. I'm totally fine with speakers - with them measurements always match what I hear and I understand what room does. Headphones are a bit different animal. It doesn't seem to be so simple to convert to hearing experience.

Blorg

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like @Verig says, really the Ananda is next level above the Sundara. Soundstage is much larger. The new ones (Stealth or Nano), the bass is also much better, the Sundara bass rolls off, the new Anandas the bass does not roll off (the OG Ananda, bass rolls off similar to the Sundara). Subjectively, comparing the Sundara to the Ananda Stealth, the bass is much more satisfying on the Ananda. The Sundara is closer to target 1.5-2.5kHz but I don't find this dip, common on most Hifimans, problematic, it increases the soundstage illusion.

The Sundara is lower from 2.5kHz up, it is substantially less bright sounding than the Ananda; to an extent this is a matter of taste, but the Sundara is closer to Harman here and is less likely to be harsh or offensive, most music I don't find the Ananda Stealth problematic but some music it can just be a bit too much, and the Sundara sounds better simply because it's less bright in this region. The Sundara to me tonally sounds quite close to the HD650/HD6XX, but without the "veil", generally cleaner and more detailed, slightly better bass extension, much better soundstage (than the HD650- much worse than the Ananda).

Overall, the Ananda (whether OG or Stealth) is a big step up from the Sundara for me. I haven't heard the Nano but I suspect it would be too. My impression, most people do think the Nano is more detailed and overall better than the Stealth. It uses the same diaphragm from the Arya. But it's also brighter, and the Stealth is already bright. So I think between the Stealth and Nano it comes down to whether you are OK with that extra brightness (for me, probably a negative, it's already bright enough) and want the mid-bass cut (probably a positive- cleaner and emphasises the lower bass more, I EQ something exactly like this in) and possibly the subjective extra resolution (positive), or save $100 for the Stealth. I would also say, all the Hifiman egg headphones sound very similar, it's really not huge differences between individual headphones. The Ananda to the HE1000 (which is my favourite headphone) is a much smaller jump than the Sundara to the Ananda, which is very noticeable.

1716263770946.png
1716264105587.png

GoDawgs

Forum Donor
I traded in my Arya Stealths for the latter utilizing Hifiman’s ridiculously reasonable trade in policy—they’ll accept any lower-priced option for the higher-priced item of your choice for just the cost of outbound shipment plus a fraction of the list price delta.
Does anyone know where one could access this trade in policy? I bought a pair of Nanos that I will gladly upgrade to Aryas if I can. I purchased them more than 30 days ago and per the Hifiman website FAQs, I'm just outta luck.

Blorg

Does anyone know where one could access this trade in policy? I bought a pair of Nanos that I will gladly upgrade to Aryas if I can. I purchased them more than 30 days ago and per the Hifiman website FAQs, I'm just outta luck.
My understanding, you just email them and ask.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I contacted Hifiman through their Amazon storefront, and they vetted the deal and then referred me to the Hifiman’s corporate store contact info to complete the purchase. You might try reaching out at [email protected] for a start. Good luck!

Blorg

I contacted Hifiman through their Amazon storefront, and they vetted the deal and then referred me to the Hifiman’s corporate store contact info to complete the purchase. You might try reaching out at [email protected] for a start. Good luck!
Out of interest, did the headphone have to have been purchased from Hifiman and/or an authorized dealer to do the upgrade deal?

GoDawgs

Forum Donor
Out of interest, did the headphone have to have been purchased from Hifiman and/or an authorized dealer to do the upgrade deal?
i did not exchange them yet, but I understand that it does have to be an authorized dealer (Amazon is one I believe). I did read that you will need to have the original packaging, but I have not contacted the company yet (I bought some speakers instead) :facepalm:. I may have to start attending hi-fi anonymous. I've promised to stop decided to cut back on reading reviews of gear that I already own some form of.

Top Bottom