• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(I edited my post whilst you were typing your response.....so removal of the leather band wouldn't allow you to bend the headphone more effectively, then you'd reattach the leather band after reshaping?)

Dont believe so. I can practically knot them with the band in place and if you extend it fully, you can even bow the top of the hoop back on itself and doesnt change shape.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dont believe so. I can practically knot them with the band in place and if you extend it fully, you can even bow the top of the hoop back on itself and doesnt change shape.
Wow, weird! Pity the clamping the force cannot be changed by simply working it in the opposite direction.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, weird! Pity the clamping the force cannot be changed by simply working it in the opposite direction.

Yup. I suspect the clamping force would be similar for any user , but I personally like a more relaxed fit . Like I say though, you do get used to it. If it was on ear, not over it might be construed as torture though.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Planar magnetic headphones seem to exert more pressure on the ear drum than dynamic driver headphones, especially when there's a tight seal created by the pads and/or if they're closed backs.

In certain people, myself included, it has led to tinnitus, which is irreversible hearing damage. If you search for 'Planar magnetic headphones tinnitus', you'll find a few threads on it.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any scientific validation of the exact cause - so the explanations we have are merely hypotheses.

If this would be true it would be a really serious problem. I just bought an Aeon 2 Noire and i find that information pretty troubling/unsettling. The threads that I have found about this, rather say that an existing tinnitus got worse (temporarily), but that the tinnitus is newly developed I have not found so far. Of course, I don't want to take any risk of getting tinnitus from the type of headphones I have now.
I wonder what @Dan Clark says about possible hearing damage? Is the risk higher with closed back planars than with open dynamic headphones?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If this would be true it would be a really serious problem. I just bought an Aeon 2 Noire and i find that information pretty troubling/unsettling. The threads that I have found about this, rather say that an existing tinnitus got worse (temporarily), but that the tinnitus is newly developed I have not found so far. Of course, I don't want to take any risk of getting tinnitus from the type of headphones I have now.
I wonder what @Dan Clark says about possible hearing damage? Is the risk higher with closed back planars than with open dynamic headphones?
My intuition tells me it's the high clamping pressure more than anything else, as I had a similar problem (which I was able to solve) with my Hifiman HE4XX (like I posted earlier). But if you've got a narrow head then I would think this would be less of a problem. You could also explore planar headphones that have headphone bands that you can "work in the opposite direction" to loosen the headband (like my HE4XX). It seems like the Dan Clark is not readily adjustable for clamping force.

Moonhead

I use 3M peltor often because kids and they sometimes worsen my tinnitus because the clamping pressure is very high, but I fall asleep with them witch is not ideal. Most planars have higher pressure fit and therefore maybe not the best choice if you suffer from tinnitus, IMO.

Fish17

My intuition tells me it's the high clamping pressure more than anything else, as I had a similar problem (which I was able to solve) with my Hifiman HE4XX (like I posted earlier). But if you've got a narrow head then I would think this would be less of a problem. You could also explore planar headphones that have headphone bands that you can "work in the opposite direction" to loosen the headband (like my HE4XX). It seems like the Dan Clark is not readily adjustable for clamping force.
There is a nylon screw in the Aeon 2s that when removed reduces the clamping pressure. Dan Clark also offered to send me a softer pad to alleviate the clamping for pressure.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dan Clark was going to send a softer pads thinking that could help with clamping force. If you have Aeon 2s there’s a nylon screw u can remove to reduce the clamping force as well.
I have noticed with my RT after a month or so of use, the clamp isn't as noticeable. Possibly a combination of me getting used to and the pads softening. I put some far larger pads on my ether CX and they are so comfy but of course can't get cheap generic donuts for the aeon.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Planar magnetic headphones seem to exert more pressure on the ear drum than dynamic driver headphones, especially when there's a tight seal created by the pads and/or if they're closed backs.
Is there a scientific explanation for this? The eardrum is moved/deflected by the fluctuating air pressure inside the ear canal, and that's how we sense sound. So how can planar headphones exert more pressure than dynamic without the ear sensing a higher sound volume? It doesn't make physical sense to me.

Closed back headphones should be safer than open. The main reason for using closed back is to insulate from external noise. If you are using open back headphones in a noisy environment, the tendency is to crank up the volume to drown out the noise, which is more damaging to your ears.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a nylon screw in the Aeon 2s that when removed reduces the clamping pressure. Dan Clark also offered to send me a softer pad to alleviate the clamping for pressure.
Be advised though that different pads will cause a different frequency response, which would make EQ's based on Amir's or other peoples measurements (like Oratory's for instance) invalid.

EDIT: conversely you could also argue that different clamping pressures (caused by people working the headphone bands) could also cause different frequency responses by different levels of pad compression....however I would generally think that if clamping pressure feels too high & is causing issues then you probably have a bigger than average head so clamping pressure probably higher than the measurement suggests, so still best to work that headband to get it comfortable. Also, needless to say, if clamping pressure is causing discomfort then you gotta do something about it regardless of measurements.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The headband is made of Nitinol.

It's a pretty interesting alloy.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would only heat up the headband not the entire headphone. :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would only heat up the headband not the entire headphone. :D
Perhaps a boiling water bath would work, just dipping the headband and then bending it whilst hot & holding the bend until it cools?

(Although I can foresee some peoples ending up with some funky shaped headbands!)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have tried the AEONs and Ethers (also Nitinol) and to me the clamping force was excellent, one of the few headphones I did not feel the need to adjust clamping force.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've tried them in a specialty store and from memory, I had no complains with the demo unit in regards to clamping and comfort etc.

jannek

I have absolutely no problem with clamping force of my Aeons. I don't have a head like a basketball I have to admit. And - by the way - my eardrums keep feeling fine.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a scientific explanation for this? The eardrum is moved/deflected by the fluctuating air pressure inside the ear canal, and that's how we sense sound. So how can planar headphones exert more pressure than dynamic without the ear sensing a higher sound volume? It doesn't make physical sense to me.
Agreed, what he's claiming literally can't be true. And then to further extrapolate from that it somehow causes tinnitus?? Right..

Frio

Perhaps a boiling water bath would work, just dipping the headband and then bending it whilst hot & holding the bend until it cools?

(Although I can foresee some peoples ending up with some funky shaped headbands!)
Wait stop until you don't know for sure. That makes some materials fragile and stiffer. Those flexible metals are something i would not heat up.

Btw we are in a forum with science in it's name whilst also discussing a hypothesis that could be easily measured and proven, but there is nothing supporting that claim aside from some other spitballing in forums. I known confirmation bias plus gut feels and repetition is enough these days to get people moving, but at least try to be better than that. just a little bit.

Top Bottom