• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

frix

What do you guys think about dynamics/slam/impact/punch in these cans. I had the aeon 2 noire for a week. I liked almost everything about it, though it obvious drawbacks in those mentioned qualities. Of course this is more obvious with more bass forward, enegetic and aggressive music. It always made me turn up the volume to compesate for the lack in dynamics but obviously that does not really work out. And no, I didn't underpower them. Used a Rme adi 2 dac. EQing the bass up made it more weighty but the delivery just stayed soft and pillowy. I didn't use any front dampening filters either.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to clarify all measurements & EQ filters are with no filter pads installed?
Yes "A set of filter pads are supplied that get mounted inside to control the level of high frequencies. A white pad with one notch comes installed. I took it out as it attenuates too much of the high frequencies and likely causes some slight comb filtering as well"

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you guys think about dynamics/slam/impact/punch in these cans. I had the aeon 2 noire for a week. I liked almost everything about it, though it obvious drawbacks in those mentioned qualities. Of course this is more obvious with more bass forward, enegetic and aggressive music. It always made me turn up the volume to compesate for the lack in dynamics but obviously that does not really work out. And no, I didn't underpower them. Used a Rme adi 2 dac. EQing the bass up made it more weighty but the delivery just stayed soft and pillowy. I didn't use any front dampening filters either.
Which cans have you heard that exhibit those properties?

frix

Which cans have you heard that exhibit those properties?
My HD800, my momentum 3 wireless, and the focal celestee (although it's a turd for different reasons) sound noticeable more dynamic. I did EQ all to harman target to have a more fair comparison. I'm curious what measurements are needed to show show those properties.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My HD800, my momentum 3 wireless, and the focal celestee (although it's a turd for different reasons) sound noticeable more dynamic. I did EQ all to harman target to have a more fair comparison. I'm curious what measurements are needed to show show those properties.
I have the hd800 and a couple of DCA, not the noire /aeon 2 closed. There is definitely a difference in how the senns present music to the DCA. To me it is the soundstage that is more obviously open in the senns. I don't really recognise "slam" etc as descriptors but would acknowledge I perceive music differently through them.

One possible problem is that we don't ever know how any given can reacts with our bodies/ears, only with the measurement rig in question. And also we never really know if we have actually eq two very different cans to the same actual FR levels for our own response. So yes, I don't know the answer to your question and think we will have to muddy our way through with a mixture of measurements and others' subjective opinions.

Tachyon88

The way you describe the bass is how I perceived the bass on my LCD-2C Eq'd. I actually like the bass(EQ) on the HD6xx more and even more so on the(Eq) HD800s, it feels like more pressure "impact, punch" than the LCD-2C. I think its a planar vs dynamic thing. Thats not to say that planars cant create pressure and punch on certain songs though.

SonicallyDeaF

***UPDATE*** ***UPDATE*** ***UPDATE***

THX 789 VS LIQUID SPARK SINGLE ENDED ONLY ON DAN CLARK AEON RT (OPEN)
NO FILTER PADS INSTALLED. DAC USED IS GRACE SDAC BALANCED PLUGGED TO A PC PLAYING SPOTIFY HI BIT

After 1 week of owning and listening to the Aeon RT (open) here is what I have noticed sonically.
The recommended "burn in" of about 100 to 150 hours did not change the sound signature at least to my ears.

THX 789
- Presented a grander soundstage
- Volume at 10 is a little low 11 on the dial is fine (setting III) on the amp
- Cleaner sound
- Vocal presence (male and female) smoother

LIQUID SPARK AMP
- Smaller intimate soundstage
- High gain volume at 10 suffices the hearing
- Low gain volume at 12 very good
- Vocal presence (male and female) fuller

attack, decay, cadence and timbre seems to be similar on both amps

In conclusion, Liquid Spark can sufficiently power the Dan Clark Aeon RT with no hesitation or restriction and with tons of headroom left just in case you prefer to listen to ear bleeding volume. As with the THX 789, sure it does sound good, but it's more sonically similar I'd say than different.

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got a pair of AKG K371s and gave them a go to compare them to Aeons. I eq'ed both with ADI-2 and after some 10 minutes of testing, the winner is a clear one for me - the Aeons. Don't need to test these further. The AKG's sound too bright and metallic.

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi, my AEONs - which I ordered after the review here - arrived yesterday after a 2 week's shipping nightmare from the US to France. But it was well worth the wait: as Amir, I have settled to listening without pads + a similar EQ than the one proposed by Amir but with even more bass in the lowest frequencies + standard loudness setting on my ADI -2 FS. The result is phantastic for my liking! In this setup these cans are as good as my Focal Clears but different (more detail and actually smoother). I would even consider them to be better were it not for the 'bass slam' that the Clears can produce. I also like the built quality and the comfort. Conclusion: thanks ASR - thanks Amir (and thanks also to RME - because without the options on the ADI 2 I would not be able to get the most out of my headphones).

ririt

Hi, my AEONs - which I ordered after the review here - arrived yesterday after a 2 week's shipping nightmare from the US to France. But it was well worth the wait: as Amir, I have settled to listening without pads + a similar EQ than the one proposed by Amir but with even more bass in the lowest frequencies + standard loudness setting on my ADI -2 FS. The result is phantastic for my liking! In this setup these cans are as good as my Focal Clears but different (more detail and actually smoother). I would even consider them to be better were it not for the 'bass slam' that the Clears can produce. I also like the built quality and the comfort. Conclusion: thanks ASR - thanks Amir (and thanks also to RME - because without the options on the ADI 2 I would not be able to get the most out of my headphones).
As I intend to follow the same path as you did (shipment from USA to France) can you please tell me which shipment´s issues did you encountered?

Veri

Master Contributor
Without pads?? Guess you mean without the filter inserts :)?

luft262

Oh, forgot to say that these are my everyday headphones. :)

Do they have an open-back version or is there an open-back headphone you would recommend at this level? Do you have an open-back headphone you use for everyday use?

RobS

Forum Donor
View attachment 106154

As you see, the deep bass response almost matches our preference down to 20 Hz. Removal of the white pad causes the right side to exceed our target (without it, it matched it more or less). So what is really left to address is the shortfall in the 2 to 5 kHz. This is where "openness" of sound comes from. Dan says he doesn't think complying with the target generates what he hears live. I agree with him on that, but disagree on desirability of it in the arsenal of the audiophile. I like that energy there! :) And indeed, get it with speakers that have flat on axis response in that region. Anyway, we will test this in the equalization section.

Plotting the deviation from our target, this time with both channels showing, shows us the compliance:
View attachment 106157
Hey Amir,

Thanks very much for your measurements and review.

I am concerned about the data that's presented in both these graphs. What you show represents awful channel matching.

There's nearly a 3db difference at 3.2kHz, and the large difference at 10kHz.

This doesn't look like it is the result of poor headphone sealing on your measurement rig.

Can you explain why you recommend this headphone with these gross channel mismatches?

Bernd

Forum Donor
As I intend to follow the same path as you did (shipment from USA to France) can you please tell me which shipment´s issues did you encountered?

Well, first of all the parcel got lost. Then I had to get it myself from the FedEx Agency to pay customs and processing charges - which is a lot acrually - you pay 110 €!! ! An to finish it off they would not take my credit card but wanted cash - so I had to go there again.

snowsurfer

May I ask how much it cost total (taxes, import duties, shipping, etc)? I am in Spain and I'm considering these vs the regular Aeons at a local reseller (1€ shy of a thousand). Thanks!

sharock

If these cost the same to import to UK/EU as it costs for a brand new Noire from Thomann which would be the better option?

Top Bottom