• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown amp?

Willem

Major Contributor
Last edited:

kipman725

;)

Attachments

• amp_rack_new.jpg
    amp_rack_new.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 162

Willem

Major Contributor
And as the picture shows, they look pretty good, even in a domestic setting. They are the real McCoy and build quality is far better than e.g. Behringer. And yet, I only paid $ 348, new.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And as the picture shows, they look pretty good, even in a domestic setting. They are the real McCoy and build quality is far better than e.g. Behringer. And yet, I only paid $ 348, new.
But none of them include audiophol approved fuses and power cords or any other such appointments to make the "wife in the kitchen" approved SQ. :(

Back then in 1994, my musician friend had the Yamaha P3500, (used by Bob Clearmountain to drive his infamous NS1O's) we auditioned some "HiFi" type amps in the "audiophile" shops, he then suggested looking at Professional studio amps, I went to buy the same P3500, but ended up leaving with the just released Crown Studio Reference II, it had more of a domestic power amp look, piano black finish, small L/R volume contols that didn't dominate the front facia, plus an on demand, temperature controlled fan, that isn't on for normal listening levels.
For the price paid there simply was no comparison with the Hifi amplifiers available back then, I think today Purify / Hypex have closed the gap, when it comes to price/performance, although if I had the coin today, I'd buy Yamaha's top range power/pre combo C-5000/M-5000 to drive their NS-5000 speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Soundmixer

I have four Crown XLS 2500 each one bridged for my subwoofers. In that capacity, they cannot be touched when it comes to watts per dollar. They are powerful as hell, and as a sub amp, I have not heard any noise from them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got four XLS1500s plus one 2502 I picked up from a fellow forum member here.....oldest ones about 10 years old now. I've used them for mains and subs. Great amps for the money. Fans have never been audible for me. Heartily recommend them.

ps no hiss issue either but haven't had particularly sensitive speakers, do remember one user with high sensitivity horns in a very quiet room have issues with the hiss...as well as quite a bit of other gear. Mostly I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your initial poke was borderline ad-hominem that by associating us together as if we all think the same.

Now this post smells of a false dichotomy and finger pointing.

Someone asked about a crown amp and you brought your fallatious politics into it.
It seems to me, with all due respect and all that, your post count is a little light to be acting as a forum moderator. If you think a post goes over the line, report it. If you don't, then I would politely suggest more listening and less accusing. Also, your definition of politics seems a little...broad...unless there was editing after I read it.

It is very much accepted generally that while we admire good measurements, and denigrate poor measurements, the ability to hear the difference is quite unlikely if all we use are our ears. That requires testing controls.

If an amp hisses noticeably, we'll hear that. If it has a cooling fan that sounds like a turbine, we'll hear that. If it clips (softly or not) because it lacks the power to fill out the peaks at our listening level and with our speakers, we may hear that. If it has .1% (or even 1%) harmonic distortion instead of .001%, we probably won't hear that, unless we have specific training and know exactly what to listen for and how to crank up the quiet bits to hear it. I struggle to hear harmonic distortion below about -35 dB (1% is -40 dB). It would depend on how much distortion in the other parts of the playback chain (including the speakers) add to it.

Crown makes amps for live-sound applications, where high power is the first requirement. Distortion isn't as important, because it's not used for playback, but rather for making primary sound that generally won't be recorded and played back. Low-level hiss and fan noise is not important at all in a live venue.

I have installed Crown amps in PA systems in churches, and the most recent one sounds excellent and makes no noise in the application. But the venue, notwithstanding that it is a church, has much higher tolerance for low-level hiss simply because the speakers are far from the listeners relative to my living room. It makes less noise than the cooling fan on the organ, and less hiss, too, even when we run it loudly enough to need cooling, which we don't usually do.

At home, I have excellent B&K amps that make a hiss I can (barely) hear in the room, and that was enough to push me to experiment with an NC502-based Buckeye amp (still in the queue). The Buckeye nominally puts out about the same power as the Crown in question (which is 300 wpc), though the Crown will do it at a higher duty cycle with a more continuous signal. Whether it produces enough hiss or fan noise to bother you is a whole other question.

Rick "annoyed by the cooling fan on the computers two rooms over in my listening space" Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a lot of great Crown amps available both new and used. The ones that have built in DSP can do lots of wonderful tricks. Those models may introduce some latency (a stack that I have the figure is about 11 milliseconds according to Crown/Harman tech support Mine are CTS600 and 1200 which can totally elimnate the need for crossover networks and can be controlled and monitored via ethernet) I also have some XLS series amps that are more traditional class AB. These are available almost free nowadays. Power amps have gotten to be like HDD space and internet bandwidth. Very much lower price and higher quality. The biggest thing to worry about is potential cooling fan noise and also hiss if you have ver efficient spikkers. That is also true of the Class D amps. Crowns answer to Class D is their Drive Core. I love their slogan. "Installs Anywhere, Outperforms Everything" ;):cool:.

There are tons and tons of great power amps on the used market here in St. Louis. I think that has to be true almost everywhere. A couple of my audio friends are getting massive amounts of cinema equipment merely by being willing to show up , uninstall and haul away. I am talking about big powerful amps and Voice of the Theater and JBL cinema gear as well as other less well known brands. Lots of movie theaters seem to have closed during the pandemic. Check out this ebay seller whose honesty I would vouch for: https://www.ebay.com/str/spectraaudiosystems
aka RescueAudio llc He is also on Facebook sometimes.
How are these Altec 515 woofers? Are they any good?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
$10k and All that glitz but only 100 watts? OUCH
According to the blurb and an interview with the designer in one of the mags - I've not seen measurements - Yamaha started "flavouring" their high end amps with the pre-power pair, presumably added distortion.

The older A-S3000 might be more neutral, and subjectively I liked that amp with the NS-5000s. I've not heard the pre-power or the replacement model integarated.

JRS

Major Contributor
I've always been wondering about crown amps.
These guys are likely thinking only of the PA stuff that Crown makes and forget the bygone days of the highly acclaimed Citation series. Plus I believe there is a "hangover" from when Class D were audio stepchildren, unworthy of placement in a high end system. But hey this is a science forum, and the only reservation would be with the forced air cooling budget jobs. Tons of DSP if one is so inclined as well.
Crown have always produced quality products that were highly dependable.
I believe they bailed out of the HiFi world when they saw the explosion of the audiophool mentality in the 1980's.
<snip>
As I look forward to replacing all of my amps, and this is the sweetheart I eye to drive my woofers--15" Acoustic Elegance drivers able to soak up the full output of this beast w/o bottoming above 40 Hz. Good price. Add 4 channels of Purifi or one of the earlier modules and I will be in hog heaven for less $$ than any of the pretentious high end stereo amps with comparable specs.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been wondering about crown amps. They look to have mind-boggling power output at a bargain basement price.

Some do. Other Crown amps have mind-boggling power output and very capable signal processing, with prices to match. I'm not sure of many other amps companies with ranges going from low hundreds to $10k+. Aside from Crown, lab.gruppen (and their less expensive amps aren't power monsters), who else? Maybe QSC? Yamaha?

does anyone here own a crown amp and if so, what is your experience with it?

We run our main system through Crown amps, from their DCI Network line. I use them because the crossover for the LCR speakers is partially effected in an amp from this line. Otherwise I would have used cheaper amps. (I, likely irrationally, did not want the second digital-analog conversion loop from a BSS processor this time around. That is the other legitimate way to effect the crossover for these speakers.)

They're fine. These amps may perform better than the XLS line Amir tested. They may not. They are much more expensive, and have louder fans. An amp is just a tool doing a job, and they do. They're certainly not as quiet as the amp we used for the base layer in a previous home, an ATI AT4007. That's one of the all time noise floor champs. But they're also quiet enough to be inaudible unless you stick your ear on a speaker, so good enough. They have loud ass fans, but they're remotely located here so who cares.

Last edited:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the amp fans be replaced with quieter fans?
Yes and it has been done. If you search for it, not sure if it was on here or not, can't recall at the moment. But have seen an individual do multiple fan swaps to find the most silent one possible. He goes into great detail and all the different makers and model of fans used. So it can be done, and would appear successfully done.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can the amp fans be replaced with quieter fans?
He goes into great detail and all the different makers and model of fans used.
Did he post spl measurements ?
Thing about fans is there's no magic dust. Within a certain size, rpm, and cfm your just not going to find a large difference unless one is a very poor design. A real quality fan with good bearings, good blade design, and mount isolation can make small improvements, but all else above being equal, a very small improvement.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How are these Altec 515 woofers? Are they any good?
I am not an expert on old Altec stuff but since Tim traffics in a lot of stuff from old movie set ups he is. He prices things pretty fairly to start with (in my experience and observation) and he will also deal. He is very knowledgeable about the value of of Altec and early JBL stuff. The one you linked to is probably for a horn system or vented bass reflex box.

I am not expert on that stuff because I prefer a little bit later Linear Efficiency series from JBL and sealed box systems generally. So I would not presume to answer your question. If I were going to spend $900 on a pair of wooofers it would be for something that would go into a sealed box or infinite baffle rather than a vintage system. The only thing I would say is I would expect that they were accurately described and clearly photographed and he would stand behind them.

Top Bottom