• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering “upgrading” to Dan Clark headphones. Need advice.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Yes. The Atom Amp+ would easily be powerful enough. Same for the Schiit Heretic.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the measurements for my Logitech Squeezebox Touch and noticed this;

”…The headphone output on the rear panel also preserved absolute polarity, and offered a maximum output level of 975mV at 1kHz. The output impedance was a suitably low 2 ohms over most of the audioband, rising to a still low 5.5 ohms in the low bass…”

Is it possible the Touch will comfortably drive the DCAs? Or is there not enough info here to tell?

Thanks.

luft262

Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendations. I don’t particularly care for wearing IEMs though.

My current NAD headphones are far more efficient than the DCAs. There‘s no issue driving them with my iPad or iPhone. As such, my guess is using a headphone amp with the NADs would be a complete overkill and wouldn’t offer any/much improvement over my current setup. Please correct me if I’m missing something here.

Something I failed to mention in my original post is that my interest is in planar headphone (perhaps that makes sense as a Magnepan owner). A couple other planar headphones reviewed well here that caught my attention are the HiFiman HE400SE (very easy on the budget), and the Verum Audio Verum 1. However, I’ve seen multiple reports of QC/reliability issues with Hifiman that concern me. My concerns with the Verum are the current war in Ukraine and the controversy involving the owner.

Although more expensive, the DCAs seem to check the boxes of SQ, build quality, and customer service, which is why I focused on them in my original post.

Please feel free to point out if I’m missing something or am really off track. The whole high quality headphone world is new to me.
It's hard to say how much distortion there is from the amp in your iphone or ipad. Getting a tested amp like the JDS Atom would give you piece of mind regarding power and distortion ie. potentially better audio quality, but YMMV.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Has this been shown definitively? I've read this before, and supposedly the Aeon Closed X uses perforated earpads, which are shown in at least one photo at Drop's site. The problem is that my Aeon RT Closed pads have the exact same perforations in the same place (inside front of the earcup). The earpads look no different, so what is supposed to be different about them?
Here's the official product pictures of both:
Closed X (perforations):
27MZs9oMQASjrrkYPZhn_1276.jpg

RT Closed (no perforations):
aeon-rt-pads.jpg

Of course, possible that DCA have revised the RT Closed with the perforated pads and haven't yet updated their website, and oratory's measurement shows the old ear pads.

Reactions: GPJ

Blake

RT Closed (no perforations):
View attachment 265515

That image doesn't show that there are no perforations. It doesn't show anything. Due to the angle, resolution, and lighting, you can't see anything. Perforated pads only have the holes in the inside front portion of the earpad, as shown in the Aeon X photo. In the photo from the DCA site, that section is barely visible in the left earpad, and even if you blow up and lighten the photo, you can't make anything out but graininess because the resolution is too low.

Also, if you look at the listings on the DCA site for "Aeon Standard Ear Pads" and "Aeon Perforated Ear Pads", you'll see that they use the exact same photo! I'm not saying they're the same product, but I am saying that the photo is useless for telling the difference.

Meanwhile, I can provide a photo of the stock pads on my own Aeon RT Closed:

IMG_9961_copy.jpg

As near as I can tell, the notion of perforated vs. non-perforated pads started as supposition and took on a life of its own. I haven't seen any evidence so far that it's accurate. If someone has the Aeon RT Closed with stock pads that aren't perforated, please chime in with photos. Otherwise I suspect this is a myth that took off to explain measured differences that are due to something else.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the measurements for my Logitech Squeezebox Touch and noticed this;

”…The headphone output on the rear panel also preserved absolute polarity, and offered a maximum output level of 975mV at 1kHz. The output impedance was a suitably low 2 ohms over most of the audioband, rising to a still low 5.5 ohms in the low bass…”

Is it possible the Touch will comfortably drive the DCAs? Or is there not enough info here to tell?

Thanks.
Honestly... you're moving to a much better headphone because you want a bit more wow factor; don't ruin the perceptual factor by half-assing on the amp. Especially since you can get a SOTA amp/dac for a coupla hundies.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Honestly... you're moving to a much better headphone because you want a bit more wow factor; don't ruin the perceptual factor by half-assing on the amp. Especially since you can get a SOTA amp/dac for a coupla hundies.

Yeah, the question about using the headphone output on the Touch was more out of curiosity/education than anything else. My current plan is still to get a separate headphone amp (likely will try the JDS Atom+) to pair with the Touch (which seems to measure well). Later, if I feel the Touch’s analog outputs are limiting performance and the budget allows, then I’ll likely try adding a good DAC (JDS Atom DAC+ perhaps).

Demmers

Yeah, the question about using the headphone output on the Touch was more out of curiosity/education than anything else. My current plan is still to get a separate headphone amp (likely will try the JDS Atom+) to pair with the Touch (which seems to measure well). Later, if I feel the Touch’s analog outputs are limiting performance and the budget allows, then I’ll likely try adding a good DAC (JDS Atom DAC+ perhaps).
I'm currently researching new headphones myself, and have been looking into the DCA's as well. Only reason i'm really responding is due to the fact I own the original JDS Atom amp, and have it paired with the Topping D10s DAC. My current 'phones are the Audio Technica MSR7's. This trio plus Qobuz is killer. So regarding your DAC query, I recommend looking into the D10s too. It pairs wonderfully with the Atom.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I'm currently researching new headphones myself, and have been looking into the DCA's as well. Only reason i'm really responding is due to the fact I own the original JDS Atom amp, and have it paired with the Topping D10s DAC. My current 'phones are the Audio Technica MSR7's. This trio plus Qobuz is killer. So regarding your DAC query, I recommend looking into the D10s too. It pairs wonderfully with the Atom.
I will certainly look more closely at the different options when the time comes. Along with my local collection, I also subscribe to Qobuz and like the way Roon brings it all together (love Roon’s DSP options as well).

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

After too much hand wringing and for too long (spending money always makes me anxious!:oops:), I took the plunge and ordered the Drop+DCA Closed X (at a lower price than the RT Closed direct from DCA and a better return policy) and the JDS Atom+ amp.

Here’s hoping I’m not disappointed! :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After too much hand wringing and for too long (spending money always makes me anxious!:oops:), I took the plunge and ordered the Drop+DCA Closed X (at a lower price than the RT Closed direct from DCA and a better return policy) and the JDS Atom+ amp.

Here’s hoping I’m not disappointed! :)
Nice, good choice!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

eddantes

At least your hard earned money is not wasted on snake oil :)
Exactly! The money you spend on the recomendations of this forum, is money well spent!

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I have a setup question.

My Touch and amp will be located out of convenient reach of my usual headphone listening spot (can’t be helped:(). Roon (using my iPad) allows me to control volume on the Touch, so that’s how I’ll control volume. As such, do I just leave the volume all the way up on the amp?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Roon (using my iPad) allows me to control volume on the Touch, so that’s how I’ll control volume. As such, do I just leave the volume all the way up on the amp?
Here's how I'd do it:
-Set the Amp to low gain and turn the knob all the way down
-Set the Touch to 100% volume using Roon from your iPad
-Start listening to music, then slowly increase the volume on the Amp
-Once the volume is as loud as you'll ever need, leave the knob there, then turn down Roon a bit to get back to normal listening levels
-In case you reach the end of the Amp's volume knob but you'd still like a bit more, turn the knob down to its lowest again, then increase the Amp's gain by one step, then repeat the same thing. Roon at 100%, slowly turn the knob until you've reached the highest volumes you'll need, then leave the knob and back off Roon a bit.

Basically, you want the Amp at its lowest possible gain and the least amount of digital volume reduction via Roon, while still being able to crank it to satisfying levels if you get the urge.
The steps above are how you get there.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Here's how I'd do it:
-Once the volume is as loud as you'll ever need, leave the knob there, then turn down Roon a bit to get back to normal listening levels
-In case you reach the end of the Amp's volume knob but you'd still like a bit more, turn the knob down to its lowest again, then increase the Amp's gain by one step, then repeat the same thing. Roon at 100%, slowly turn the knob until you've reached the highest volumes you'll need, then leave the knob and back off Roon a bit.

Basically, you want the Amp at its lowest possible gain and the least amount of digital volume reduction via Roon, while still being able to crank it to satisfying levels if you get the urge.
Great info! Thanks. :)

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Here's how I'd do it:

Which reminds me, I’m probably going to need a longer headphone cable. Any suggestion where to get an appropriate cable for the DCA headphone/Atom+ amp combo? All the different connection options gets confusing quick.

eddantes

Which reminds me, I’m probably going to need a longer headphone cable. Any suggestion where to get an appropriate cable for the DCA headphone/Atom+ amp combo? All the different connection options gets confusing quick.
Just grab a headphone extention cable from Amazon... Provided you're not looking for 50 feet, it'll work just fine.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Just grab a headphone extention cable from Amazon... Provided you're not looking for 50 feet, it'll work just fine.

Thanks.

I’m surprised how few options I’m finding for a 1/4” to 1/4” extension cable.☹️ My usual go to for cables, Monoprice, had none.

Last edited:
Top Bottom