• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering “upgrading” to Dan Clark headphones. Need advice.

Saturn94

Long time lurker here.

My current headphone setup is an NAD Viso HP50 (with EQ, reviewed very here well by Amir) with my iPad 7th gen running Roon. I’m thinking of upgrading, but have questions. I’m on a tight budget (considering up to $500 for headphones and up to $200 for an amp).

After a bit of research, I‘m considering either the Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed or the Drop + Dan Clark X Closed. Both seem to be very well reviewed and DCA seems to offer great build quality and service. Would either of these represent a significant upgrade in sound quality (I plan to use EQ)?

I understand DCA headphones require a headphone amp, but I’m having trouble properly interpreting reviews/specs to determine which amps would provide sufficient power for the DCA headphones (with EQ). How much power do they need?

Here’s a couple amps I’m considering based on research here.

JDS Atom+: Good review/measurements on ASR. Does this offer enough power for the DCA headphones I’m considering? I like that it comes from a USA company that has a reputation for excellent quality and customer service.

Topping L30 II: This seems to offer more power than the JDS Atom+. Good review/measurements on ASR. My main concern is some reports I’ve read about possible QC/reliability issues, less than great customer service, possibly having to return to China for service.

Is there something else I should consider?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sold my RT but I recommend balanced, at least the Schiit Magnius or equivalent from Topping or whoever, others might be more, Schiit is $200 I think.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had them and remember whichever filter pad I tried, they just weren't worth that kind of money. Your better off with a balanced setup for planar magnetics which benefit from it most times.
The JDS Atom+ stack is great and I have a Topping l30 ii here now. It's really clean but it's not unlimited power for demanding planars.
If your feeling overwhelmed, I'd start with the Hyper Cloud Orbit/s which has 100mm Audeze planar drivers and built in amp and DAC. On ebay you can get a nice one for $100 most days. They have fantastic noise isolation and extremely comfortable as well. The mic is made by Shure and detaches with a rubber stopper to make them into headphones. Just need a USB 3.0 port and all set.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Closed X uses different pads than the RT Closed, which improves the tuning.
Closed X:
Screenshot_20230217-092901_Drive.png
RT Closed:
Screenshot_20230217-092830_Drive.png

So out of those two, I'd go with the Closed X.

Here's how much power you need to drive them, according to the manufacturer:
Screenshot_20230217-093440_Chrome.png
At 12.5Ω, the L30II can output a little over 3W, or enough for an utterly insane 125+ dB SPL Peak. Don't listen to the people recommending balanced desktop Amps. They're not needed.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
I'd also go with the Closed X. I think the concensus is that the closed perform better than the opens. I just spent a week with the Aeon 2 Closed. Very comfortable. Very light. Took a lot more power than I was expecting. I had a Topping L70 on low gain setting turned up to full volume and I could still tolerate the volume although -20dB was pretty loud and comfortable. I'm used to listening at -40dB or -50dB on other headphones. I read another post earlier from a user that drove an Aeon using the portable Topping G5 without distortion to comfortable volumes.

If I were on the go all the time (laptop, etc) I'd probably love the comfort and light weight of a DCA Aeon.

I have a modded Monoprice M1570 (with Audeze LCD headband and yoke) at my computer desk/office working as my "reference" planar and another identical headphone downtairs in the family room. I think I would have loved the Aeon 2 if I didn't A/B test the headphones and heard the clear loss of detail. It's a good light weight planar option. Actually, DCA planars are the main option if you think about 1) reliable 2) light weight comfort and 3) planar drivers. Until you can shell out a few grand for an Audeze LCD-5.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd also go with the Closed X. I think the concensus is that the closed perform better than the opens.

Not to my preferences. Open X without any filter pads is to me a slightly brighter and leaner version of the DCA Expanse with 99% of so called “technicalities”. IMHO if DCA puts that AMTS on Open X without the premium carbon fiber frames/cups, it would sound very close to Expanse

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Closed X:
View attachment 265352
RT Closed:
View attachment 265353

So out of those two, I'd go with the Closed X.

Here's how much power you need to drive them, according to the manufacturer:
View attachment 265354
At 12.5Ω, the L30II can output a little over 3W, or enough for an utterly insane 125+ dB SPL Peak. Don't listen to the people recommending balanced desktop Amps. They're not needed.

So, would the JDS Atom+ amp be powerful enough?

The only measurement in the review that corresponds with the graph you posted seems to be the voltage output? I don’t see wattage or amperage output at 12 ohms. This is where I get lost. ☹️

staticV3

Master Contributor
So, would the JDS Atom+ amp be powerful enough?
The only measurement in the review that corresponds with the graph you posted seems to be the voltage output? I don’t see wattage or amperage output at 12 ohms. This is where I get lost. ☹️
Yes. The Atom Amp+ would easily be powerful enough. Same for the Schiit Heretic.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I greatly appreciate everyone’s responses.

Btw, I realize SQ preference is a very personal thing. It sucks that there are no more audio stores in my area where I can audition before buying.

In this case, I’m putting a bit of faith in Amir’s reviews. His opinion that the NAD Viso HP50 with EQ sounds great is in alignment with my experience with them, so I’m hoping that will translate well to his other headphone reviews.

Last edited:
OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Yes. The Atom Amp+ would easily be powerful enough. Same for the Schiit Heretic.

Thanks.

I did look at the Schiit Heretic (seems like a great company). However, reports of the volume control channel imbalance and developing audible scratchiness over time concerns me.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Not to my preferences. Open X without any filter pads is to me a slightly brighter and leaner version of the DCA Expanse with 99% of so called “technicalities”. IMHO if DCA puts that AMTS on Open X without the premium carbon fiber frames/cups, it would sound very close to Expanse
I need to try out the Aeon 2 opens! It’s odd that reviewers say the closed offers better soundstage than the opens. I didn’t know how DC could get around the physics/acoustics. It would be cool but AMTS is going to be reserved for the flagship product.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to try out the Aeon 2 opens! It’s odd that reviewers say the closed offers better soundstage than the opens. I didn’t know how DC could get around the physics/acoustics. It would be cool but AMTS is going to be reserved for the flagship product.

DCA closed headphones are excellent in soundstage. I think the more gentle/broader mid-bss hump in the Opens (DCA tunes all of their Aeon Opens this way) rather than the more localized hump in the closed gives a more mid-bass presence in the Opens hence a "narrower" perception in soundstage. Once EQed to any target, there should be little to no difference in soundstage perception between the Open and Closed. I also prefer the Open backed design due to feeling less isolated about the environment outside of my room.

Blake

Has this been shown definitively? I've read this before, and supposedly the Aeon Closed X uses perforated earpads, which are shown in at least one photo at Drop's site. The problem is that my Aeon RT Closed pads have the exact same perforations in the same place (inside front of the earcup). The earpads look no different, so what is supposed to be different about them?

As for amplification, I drive them with a Schiit Heretic, and it works beautifully. They sound decent without EQ, but they have greater clarity and liveliness when EQ'ed with oratory1990 (for me, anyway). I would say I'd probably prefer my HD 6XX if I couldn't EQ, but with EQ my Aeon RT is tops in my home.

Prior to the Heretic, I used the Heresy, which also worked fine. That one did develop scratchiness on the volume pot, but since I rarely adjust it and the noise wasn't that loud, it never bothered me that much. So far my Heretic doesn't scratch at all, for whatever it's worth, but it's not very old yet. I've never had audible imbalance problems with Schiit equipment, and if I did I think it wouldn't be a big deal to get it fixed/replaced if you're in the U.S.

Last edited:
OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I've heard good things about the JDS customer service. If you are in the US, either they or Schiit would be a good bet. I have a regular Atom and it's been great so far.
Have you used the Atom with low impedance, low sensitivity headphones?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Love my closed X, best phones I've ever had. I don't think one needs anything special for an amp to drive them. I use Aune X1s and most of the time the volume is between 9am and Noon on the dial. Also - it's nice to have the amp and dac in one device.

luft262

Long time lurker here.

My current headphone setup is an NAD Viso HP50 (with EQ, reviewed very here well by Amir) with my iPad 7th gen running Roon. I’m thinking of upgrading, but have questions. I’m on a tight budget (considering up to $500 for headphones and up to $200 for an amp).

After a bit of research, I‘m considering either the Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed or the Drop + Dan Clark X Closed. Both seem to be very well reviewed and DCA seems to offer great build quality and service. Would either of these represent a significant upgrade in sound quality (I plan to use EQ)?

I understand DCA headphones require a headphone amp, but I’m having trouble properly interpreting reviews/specs to determine which amps would provide sufficient power for the DCA headphones (with EQ). How much power do they need?

Here’s a couple amps I’m considering based on research here.

JDS Atom+: Good review/measurements on ASR. Does this offer enough power for the DCA headphones I’m considering? I like that it comes from a USA company that has a reputation for excellent quality and customer service.

Topping L30 II: This seems to offer more power than the JDS Atom+. Good review/measurements on ASR. My main concern is some reports I’ve read about possible QC/reliability issues, less than great customer service, possibly having to return to China for service.

Is there something else I should consider?

Any advice/help is appreciated.
I have the JDS Atom Amp and Dac stack. They work great. You could always buy the Atom+ Amp for about $100 and test it out with your current headphones (EQ'ed to preference) and see if new headphones would even be necessary. If you want perfect tone on a budget without EQ pick up the Truthear x Crinicle Zero IEMs for just $50.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Also - it's nice to have the amp and dac in one device.

I consider that option to simplify things (and less clutter), but it busts the budget. At least for now, my plan is to use my Logitech Squeezebox Touch to feed a headphone amp, with the Touch being used as a Roon endpoint.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I have the JDS Atom Amp and Dac stack. They work great. You could always buy the Atom+ Amp for about $100 and test it out with your current headphones (EQ'ed to preference) and see if new headphones would even be necessary. If you want perfect tone on a budget without EQ pick up the Truthear x Crinicle Zero IEMs for just $50.
Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendations. I don’t particularly care for wearing IEMs though.

My current NAD headphones are far more efficient than the DCAs. There‘s no issue driving them with my iPad or iPhone. As such, my guess is using a headphone amp with the NADs would be a complete overkill and wouldn’t offer any/much improvement over my current setup. Please correct me if I’m missing something here.

Something I failed to mention in my original post is that my interest is in planar headphone (perhaps that makes sense as a Magnepan owner). A couple other planar headphones reviewed well here that caught my attention are the HiFiman HE400SE (very easy on the budget), and the Verum Audio Verum 1. However, I’ve seen multiple reports of QC/reliability issues with Hifiman that concern me. My concerns with the Verum are the current war in Ukraine and the controversy involving the owner.

Although more expensive, the DCAs seem to check the boxes of SQ, build quality, and customer service, which is why I focused on them in my original post.

Please feel free to point out if I’m missing something or am really off track. The whole high quality headphone world is new to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom