• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering “upgrading” to Dan Clark headphones. Need advice.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After too much hand wringing and for too long (spending money always makes me anxious!:oops:), I took the plunge and ordered the Drop+DCA Closed X (at a lower price than the RT Closed direct from DCA and a better return policy) and the JDS Atom+ amp.

Here’s hoping I’m not disappointed! :)
I would recommend something like the Schiit Magnius ($230, balanced version of the Magni Heretic with op amps) or an equivalent from Topping etc. for any DCA headphone. Don't get me wrong, I have a Schiit Magni I listen to regularly with my Grado headphones, but with my DCA it doesn't have enough umph.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

I would recommend something like the Schiit Magnius ($230, balanced version of the Magni Heretic with op amps) or an equivalent from Topping etc. for any DCA headphone. Don't get me wrong, I have a Schiit Magni I listen to regularly with my Grado headphones, but with my DCA it doesn't have enough umph.
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind should the JDS Atom+ not work out.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone here know whether or not any of the filters that come with the Drop+DCA Aeon X Closed were used in the measurements to generate this convolution filter? If so, which ones?

AutoEQ by default are EQ's to a slightly different target curve than Harman, they have a couple less dB in the bass. I think it is possible to choose the version that is actually done to the proper Harman Curve, but I don't use it so unfamiliar with it. To be honest, you'd be better off just using the 10 band Parametric EQ that Oratory offers in his pdf's, because that way you can tune some of his customisation filters to your own liking, following is an example of his customisation filters, outlined in red (note this is just an example and not for your DCA Closed X headphone)
customisation filters (HD560s).jpg
:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does anyone here know whether or not any of the filters that come with the Drop+DCA Aeon X Closed were used in the measurements to generate this convolution filter? If so, which ones?

oratory measures every headphone in stock configuration, so the measurement in your link was made with the filters that come pre installed.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

AutoEQ by default are EQ's to a slightly different target curve than Harman, they have a couple less dB in the bass. I think it is possible to choose the version that is actually done to the proper Harman Curve, but I don't use it so unfamiliar with it. To be honest, you'd be better off just using the 10 band Parametric EQ that Oratory offers in his pdf's, because that way you can tune some of his customisation filters to your own liking, following is an example of his customisation filters, outlined in red (note this is just an example and not for your DCA Closed X headphone)View attachment 266795:

Thanks for the info.

Do you have a link to the list of headphone Oratory PEQ settings?

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

The amp arrived a couple days ago and the headphones this evening.

Initial impressions are very good; clean, clear, open sound (note: I’m using the convolution filter linked earlier in this thread with the DCA filter pads that came preinstalled). I’ve read posts from some that complained they sound a bit thin and lacked punch. At least in my setup, and to my ears, that’s not the case. They sound nicely balanced, clean, and with plenty of bass/punch when called for.

One of my worries was how inefficient and hard to drive DCAs are reported to be. The Atom+ does not seem to have any problems driving these cleanly to very loud levels with clean dynamics/peaks when called for. Using the gain setup procedure recommended earlier, I ended up with the Atom set on High Gain with the volume control at about the 2 o’clock position. Much to my surprise, even my iPad and iPhone can drive them to satisfying levels, albeit a little less cleanly than the Atom+ (but certainly more than good enough for casual listening).

I greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone here. It was very helpful and helped with my decision. I’m also glad my “leap of faith” in trusting Amir’s reviews panned out.

PS - I forgot to mention, I already have an extension cable for 3.5mm plugs (and a couple of 3.5mm to 1/4” adapters), but thought I would need a new one for the DCA’s 1/4” plug (I don’t have any 1/4” to 3.5mm adapters). It turns out the 1/4” plug on the DCAs unscrews to reveal a 3.5mm plug, so it works fine with my existing extension cable. Yay!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp arrived a couple days ago and the headphones this evening.

Initial impressions are very good; clean, clear, open sound (note: I’m using the convolution filter linked earlier in this thread with the DCA filter pads that came preinstalled). I’ve read posts from some that complained they sound a bit thin and lacked punch. At least in my setup, and to my ears, that’s not the case. They sound nicely balanced, clean, and with plenty of bass/punch when called for.

One of my worries was how inefficient and hard to drive DCAs are reported to be. The Atom+ does not seem to have any problems driving these cleanly to very loud levels with clean dynamics/peaks when called for. Using the gain setup procedure recommended earlier, I ended up with the Atom set on High Gain with the volume control at about the 2 o’clock position. Much to my surprise, even my iPad and iPhone can drive them to satisfying levels, albeit a little less cleanly than the Atom+ (but certainly more than good enough for casual listening).

I greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone here. It was very helpful and helped with my decision. I’m also glad my “leap of faith” in trusting Amir’s reviews panned out.

PS - I forgot to mention, I already have an extension cable for 3.5mm plugs (and a couple of 3.5mm to 1/4” adapters), but thought I would need a new one for the DCA’s 1/4” plug (I don’t have any 1/4” to 3.5mm adapters). It turns out the 1/4” plug on the DCAs unscrews to reveal a 3.5mm plug, so it works fine with my existing extension cable. Yay!
Cool, it's always good when recommendations pan out! So, for your DCA Closed X are you using the Oratory EQ? I ask because if you're instead using the one that I created (don't know if I showed you that one) in the DCA Closed X thread then you'll want to be using that EQ without any of the white pads installed. If you're using the Oratory EQ then I assume you should use the white pads.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Cool, it's always good when recommendations pan out! So, for your DCA Closed X are you using the Oratory EQ? I ask because if you're instead using the one that I created (don't know if I showed you that one) in the DCA Closed X thread then you'll want to be using that EQ without any of the white pads installed. If you're using the Oratory EQ then I assume you should use the white pads.
I’m using the convolution filters from here;

So, use with the preinstalled white pad?

staticV3

Master Contributor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using the convolution filters from here;

So, use with the preinstalled white pad?
That's based on an Oratory measurement, and he normally measures headphones in their stock condition, so I think you're right to use the preinstalled white pad with that EQ. For piece of mind you could contact Oratory over on his reddit and ask him if he knows if the white pad was installed in the headphone when he measured it.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

That's based on an Oratory measurement, and he normally measures headphones in their stock condition, so I think you're right to use the preinstalled white pad with that EQ. For piece of mind you could contact Oratory over on his reddit and ask him if he knows if the white pad was installed in the headphone when he measured it.
Thanks.

My understanding is the white pad reduces highs a little. With the preinstalled white pad and the convolution filter, it doesn’t sound at all to me like the highs need any boosting.

At some point after I get use to their sound signature, I may experiment with the pads and PEQ settings, but for now it doesn’t sound like anything needs tweaking. :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

My understanding is the white pad reduces highs a little. With the preinstalled white pad and the convolution filter, it doesn’t sound at all to me like the highs need any boosting.

At some point after I get use to their sound signature, I may experiment with the pads and PEQ settings, but for now it doesn’t sound like anything needs tweaking. :D
Good. Main point though is that you use the headphone in the state that it was measured in, which we all think is with the white pad installed, you probably don't need to double check with Oratory, but can if you want.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

AutoEQ by default are EQ's to a slightly different target curve than Harman, they have a couple less dB in the bass. I think it is possible to choose the version that is actually done to the proper Harman Curve, but I don't use it so unfamiliar with it. To be honest, you'd be better off just using the 10 band Parametric EQ that Oratory offers in his pdf's, because that way you can tune some of his customisation filters to your own liking, following is an example of his customisation filters, outlined in red (note this is just an example and not for your DCA Closed X headphone)View attachment 266795:
Btw, what is the “BW” column? I don’t see that in Roon’s PEQ settings.

I used the PEQ settings for the Aeon X Closed to create a filter in Roon PEQ. I’ll take a listen and see how it compares.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

That one has 2dB less bass than Harman, just FYI.

Tonight I have come across a few older albums that could use a little bass boost, so I just created a few db bass shelf boost in Roon’s PEQ that I can quickly apply in such cases.

Ugh, I’ve been staying up way too late listening to these things! o_O

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, what is the “BW” column? I don’t see that in Roon’s PEQ settings.

I used the PEQ settings for the Aeon X Closed to create a filter in Roon PEQ. I’ll take a listen and see how it compares.
Did you get your Closed X EQ from Oratory, from the following link?
I only say that because the pic I included a few posts earlier was of an HD560s EQ, so you don't want to be using that (albeit I did make that ultra clear in my earlier post, but just wanted to double check with you here).

The BW column stands for Bandwidth - it's just another way of describing the same thing as Q-Factor, which is basically just describing how narrow or wide an EQ filter is; the wider the filter then the more frequencies it will effect either side of it's centre point - ie a wide filter will look wide & flat on a frequency response graph in comparison to a narrow filter which will look sharp, narrow & pointy. The lower the Q-Factor then the wider the filter. The higher the Bandwidth (BW) then the wider the filter. They're both just describing the shape of the filter in terms of it's width of frequency effect, and you'll use Q-Factor or BW dependant on what your EQ software uses. Most EQ software uses Q-Factor, so you'd just ignore the BW column and instead input the Q-Factor settings into your EQ program. So of course you don't use both at the same time, you use one or the other dependant on what your EQ software is setup to use.

Top Bottom